Author Topic: I need weight-loss and metabolism advice, please  (Read 4119 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
I need weight-loss and metabolism advice, please
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 02:58:13 AM »
Padre, low carb/normal protein/normal fats is the way to go (Atkins is one version...). You're not eating a pound of bacon at a sitting, like a lot of people who don't know squat will tell you.

And NOTHING is instant. 1 pound/week is 52 pounds/year, and is sustainable. 5 pounds/week for 2.5 months, and it'll come right back.

It's like someone assuming that if 6 grains of unique is good for a .45, then 12 grains oughta be even better...

(disclaimer: try the above handloading recipe only if you have a desire to be known as "lefty" among your friends)

Swimming also would probably be good.
Blog under construction

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006, 03:13:16 AM »
And NOTHING is instant. 1 pound/week is 52 pounds/year, and is sustainable. 5 pounds/week for 2.5 months, and it'll come right back.
Yup.  My doc didn't want me losing more than 2lbs/week, but to lose that 2lbs a week, I had to keep my caloric intake less than 1800cals/day.

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2006, 03:16:43 AM »
Yup, even just aerobic type exercise in the pool like some others suggested is good if swimming is too difficult to start with. Just treading water is good for you.  The water provides just the right amount of resistance and the harder you work the more resistance it provides. Just getting in and loosening up is a good place to start. Don't over do it! Most do too much when they start and that leads to injury. Try keeping your head above water using just arms or just legs. I've gotten to the point where I can put my hands behind my back, cross my ankles and still keep my head above water. I heard the SEALs tie you up like that and toss you in. I wanted to see if I could do it. I've been swimming regularly for at LEAST 10 years now so that's a bit of an advanced trick I picked up along the way. Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2006, 03:19:03 AM »
yea, I have to laugh when I see those "Lost 30 pounds in 6 weeks" NFW that's all water and it'll be back. 1-2 pounds a week is a good pace.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2006, 08:05:57 AM »
Good diet & exercise is key.  Exercise to consist of both weigth training & cardio.

There are some supplements that can be of use to help burn fat/give motivation.   They usually consist of ephedrine, caffeine, & aspirin.  Eph is on the market again and can be bought legally, but pseudo-ephedrine can be substituted.  Do some forum-trolling to find out the proper mix if you want to mix your own.

Again, diet & exercise is key.  There is a "curve" invloved, however.  Once you get ahead of the curve, dieting & exercise is easier and more effective per unit time spent.  Getting ahead of the curve can be a real pain.  This is where the supplements come in handy to give you a boost ahead of the curve.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton