Author Topic: Any garage door opener experts here?  (Read 4128 times)

Chester32141

• friend
Re: Any garage door opener experts here?
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »
How far south does cold cause a problem with garage doors? Does this affect different types of openers, or just screw drive? ...

I had the OP's problem for years here in central Florida ... opener wouldn't work when the temperature neared the frost point ... couple times 1/2 way up and down and it would warm up and work .... chain drive Stanley ...
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 03:53:43 PM »
So I adjusted the upforce and it seems to be working now. I can still stop it by hand on the way up so I'm sure it is technically in some sort of safe range.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 09:23:10 PM »
Excellent!  If you can stop it by hand without exerting more than minimal force then you're in the good.

Still be a good idea to give it a good cleaning and lube when the weather turns for the better.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 04:54:34 PM »
a neighbor had one that failed to see the stop switch on the open side of the lift.

it marvined itself, when the door cut the motor encasement in half.

oh bother...

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 11:04:13 PM »
I think it is the lub or the force limiter.  Check to see it things are relatively clean.  If not clean as best you can and re-lub.  I use lithium grease.  Next the force limiters.  If that doesn't work, I call a garage door company and they will come out.  Generally a simple charge is under $100.  They also know what they are doing and I think that's important.

The last time they came, they installed a new tension spring and fixed a cable that had "broke".  I replaced the garage door opener about a year or so ago with a new one from Sears.  They do installations for a fair price.  The gear had stripped and it was old, so I replaced the whole damn thing.  The garage door gets opened so many times a day, that when it doesn't work properly, it is a huge deal at my house.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:13:00 PM by slingshot »
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)