Author Topic: Tall blade sights question.  (Read 3825 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Tall blade sights question.
« on: February 17, 2013, 11:01:14 PM »
So I was looking at videos and articles on the S&W 1917 .45* revolver but none of them addressed the reason why it it had such a tall, rounded front sight.

Now I know this was common on SA revolvers but I really don't know that much about early DAs so was wondering if these type of sights were common on all revolvers of the day.

Also, why did they fall out use? Do we know better these days?

I must say I love the look but would it still a good choice given a century of advances in sight design?

*This is a gun I've lusted after for awhile and when I'm back on my financial feet I'll look at getting one.

Also, if anyone has photos or stories about any .45 revolver (or any moonclip using gun) this would be a great thread to do it in. (Hint hint). And this is why I'm asking y'all rather than Googling it. ;)

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Tall blade sights question.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 11:40:27 PM »
Thin front sights allow for a very crisp view within the rear sight.  The half-moon shape supposedly shows you if the barrel is canted up or down, as opposed to perfectly horizontal.  It also clears the holster with less snagging than, for example, a Partridge sight (thin, straight squared post).  This last is most likely why it was selected.

Based on personal experience, it sucks in low/no light situations.  It forces you to slow down and aquire a "good" sight picture as opposed to an "adequate" one.

Full moon clips rule.  Half moon clips suck, but nowhere as badly as 1/3-moon clips.  http://splodetv.com/fast-revolver-reload

If God kills a kitten every time someone calls a magazine a clip, what does He do when someone calls a moon clip a speed loader?  It must be horrendous.

You can stack 2 moon clips in the pouch used for a speed loader.  The first one is easy to grab.  Use your pinky finger to "stab" the inner hole and pull up the one in the bottom of the pouch.  The Blade Tech "pouch" http://www.blade-tech.com/Double-Moon-Clip-Pouch-pr-885.html works well and you can adjust the tightness of the grip on the cartridge with a heat gun - just go slowly and wear gloves if you are tightening the grip.

All of that aside, moon clips are fantastic for finding your fired brass.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 11:52:30 PM »
I dunno much about revolvers but I know I'm partial to my 625 and 325. The 3 is a near perfect carry gun. Until of course you lose one small internal piece washing the gun in a beach rental's sink because you had it in your swim trunks sans a holster and dropped it in the surf. I must have got all the salt out, It's still in one piece. Went so far as to pull the rear sight assy. Moonclips make me happy.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 06:14:41 AM »
. . . It also clears the holster with less snagging than, for example, a Partridge sight (thin, straight squared post).  . . .
If God kills a kitten every time someone calls a magazine a clip, what does He do when someone calls a moon clip a speed loader?  It must be horrendous.
The penalty is probably no worse than for someone who adds an "r" to Patridge . . .  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 06:47:52 AM »
The penalty is probably no worse than for someone who adds an "r" to Patridge . . .  ;)

Damn you, Autocorrect.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 09:27:56 AM »
Damn you, Autocorrect.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

stay safe.
No problem - anyway, your post just makes me want to say "clip" more often.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 10:08:01 AM »
Love my 625.  Full moon clips come out easily and load smoothly with 45ACP.  I really like my 627 (8 shot) in 357, but the full moon clips for it don't load so smoothly as the narrow/skinny cartridges don't line up to slide into the cylinder so easily as round nose 230 grain 45ACP.  I have seen the S&W reproduction WWI revolvers and would love to get one if I had the cash.

www.dillonprecision.com sells a moon clip loading/unloading tool that is very easy to use.  It makes it easier with 45, but with 357, it is dang near mandatory.  I can't load the 8 shot moon clips by hand without bending them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 03:19:45 PM »
Thanks for the info. Is there anyway to make the sights more low-light friendly without ruining the aesthetics? And I guess my plan for a 1/6th moonclip probably won't work out.

A friend has been pestering me for years to join his shooting club and get into competitions. I hear .45 ACP wheels are tack-drivers, though I would have to get into reloading so I can do up the kitten-strength wadcutters I would need.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 06:32:16 PM »
Thanks for the info. Is there anyway to make the sights more low-light friendly without ruining the aesthetics? And I guess my plan for a 1/6th moonclip probably won't work out.

A friend has been pestering me for years to join his shooting club and get into competitions. I hear .45 ACP wheels are tack-drivers, though I would have to get into reloading so I can do up the kitten-strength wadcutters I would need.

Several folks sell various kinds and types of luminous paint.  Some of them actuall last for more than 5 minutes of decreasing "glow" in the dark.  Or so I've been told.

1/6th moon clips are usually referred to a .45 AutoRim.

stay safe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 07:48:10 PM »

I tend to be a somewhat sloppy pistol shooter in that I would sooner cut the bullseye out of the paper before hitting it.  With my 625 I can occasionally get it right and put one right through the bullseye.  For me, that speaks well of the pistol.  Mine is the 625 JM version.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 07:57:21 PM »
1/6th moon clips are usually referred to a .45 AutoRim.

=D

The 1917 was one of the guns used by Indiana Jones though cut down to 4 in, and so some fans of of the movies who are also into guns get a 1917 cut down as well. I like the movies and the gun of course but I don't think I could do that. It just looks right and properly old-school with the 5 in bbl...He also used a BHP and a Webley so good taste in guns by Spielberg.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 08:01:07 PM »
  Mine is the 625 JM version.

Those are beautiful looking guns. Did you keep the multi-colored grips?

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 08:27:48 PM »
And here is a video of someone shooting WW1 revolvers featuring both Colt and S&W's 1917s and the Webley. Good times.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 08:31:24 PM by Warren »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 08:43:36 PM »

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 09:40:27 PM »
These.  For some reason I was thinking those were stock stocks.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 09:53:19 PM »
Unless you get the charge holes (chambers) aggressively beveled or chamfered, round nosed bullets is your friend.  Our rave-fave H&G 68 200gr SWC, which feeds pretty well in the 1911, tends to be a little challenging to get all six going in easily.  Kinda ironic, huh?  A 1911 more reliably feeding than a revolver?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 10:30:10 PM »
These.  For some reason I was thinking those were stock stocks.
:O  Wow, that is ugly.

I have had no issue with normal 230 grain FMJ and the Hornady self defense ammo I have tried gave me no issues feed with moon clips either. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 10:32:47 PM »
http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/25534/catid/24/CCW_Moon_Clip_Loading__Unloading_Tool__45ACP

This is the moon clip tool I bought.  Works great and loads them very fast.  I am curious if any of you use something different.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 10:50:20 PM »
Thanks, Hutch. I'll keep that in mind.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 11:13:59 PM »
=D

The 1917 was one of the guns used by Indiana Jones though cut down to 4 in, and so some fans of of the movies who are also into guns get a 1917 cut down as well. I like the movies and the gun of course but I don't think I could do that. It just looks right and properly old-school with the 5 in bbl...He also used a BHP and a Webley so good taste in guns by Spielberg.

The gun nut Indy fans buy another barrel to cut down and save the OEM.

I want a 4" 625 bored another 1/8" for .460 Rowland.  .44 Magnum power for the field, .45 Super/ACP/Auto Rim for two-legged threats.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 01:13:33 AM »
Was reading up on moonclips and read that they could bend and thus tie up your gun when you need it most. Also full clips are the same size as a cylinder and so it's like you are hiding the width of two guns. So got to thinking about the 1/3rd clips and thought that one of these might be an excellent way to carry reloads.

I searched around and found people promoting the 1/3rds as a way to be able to tactical reloads but how do you do that with out dumping all the rounds in the chamber? Not that that is a serious concern as I'm looking more at the ease of concealment of the reloads. And I'm sure with practice you could get quite speedy with grabbing all three clips and getting them in the chambers.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:57:27 PM by Warren »

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 01:19:16 AM »
I use these http://www.blade-tech.com/Revolver-Pouches-c-358.html when totin' anything that uses moon clips.  Very comfortable and very secure unless you leave it on the dash or somewhere that heats it up and expands the plastic.  Easy to loosen things up a bit but takes some skill to tighten it without totally ruining the "roundness" of the slots.

stay safe.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 01:44:22 AM »
Warren,

Open cylinder muzzle down, press up ejector rod part way, grab expended 1/3 clip, discard and load another. Same technique as loading single rimmed cases when you don't have clips.

Clips can bend, but you usually carry them in pouches.  They are/were steel so normal knocking around in a coat pocket isn't going to mangle them, modern polymer ones even less.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 08:50:44 AM »
No problem - anyway, your post just makes me want to say "clip" more often.  >:D

Not me, I'm going to start calling those round, notchy things "moon magazines."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 01:15:02 PM »
Skid--

So that works even for CCW? The speedymoonmags don't work themselves loose from those slots as you walk about and sit and stand and such.

I looked at other versions and the type with the post in the spring-like container looks good as it holds the rounds tight and offers a bit of protection. Though it does stick out a bit more.