Author Topic: I'd like to give up coffee  (Read 4108 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
I'd like to give up coffee
« on: September 11, 2013, 11:17:20 AM »
Any pointers?

I've decided I'm starting today.  I've had a couple cups of tea this morning rather than my regular coffee.  I imagine the headaches will come sometime after lunch from caffeine withdrawal, and stick around for about a week until I'm detoxed.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: I'd like to give up coffee
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 11:18:27 AM »
Why?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 11:23:42 AM »
Because I can tell I "need" it when I wake up. 

I think I drink too much of it.  I brew about 6 cups (as counted by the coffee maker) each morning, and I'll sometimes have another cup while out and about later on in the day.  It darkens teeth, it makes my heart race, and I think I have a caffeine addiction.

All in all, better for me to cut it out of my life for awhile at least.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 11:24:25 AM »
Don't take Excedrin for the headaches.  I forgot it had caffeine in it when I quit coffee for a while.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 11:24:53 AM »
Unless you have a prior health condition that makes the consumption of coffee
a Bad Idea, coffee consumption is likely a net plus.

Unless this is for anarcho-capitalist Lent.  Some of those guys are wound pretty tight and could use some decaf.  [My church's doctrine has no Lent fasting requirement, but I gave up gefilte fish anyways, this year.]
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 11:26:36 AM »
I probably drink that much each morning also, probably addicted to it also, but alas its not crack so I'm not harm to society.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:49:42 AM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 11:32:09 AM »
Most folks I know who gave up coffee (for whatever reason) either did a substitute (like tea or even a coffee substitute like pero) or just gave it up cold turkey.

I haven't tried pero, so I couldn't tell you if it was any good or not.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 11:37:52 AM »
Meh. If you're worried about a caffeine addiction, switch to decaf coffee (unless it's decaf tea, it has caffeine too). IMO, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. The scent of grinding beans, the aroma of coffee brewing, the flavor as you sip, the way my brain wakes up after a few sips .... all good things that make me happy, don't cost much, require little effort, and have no negative impact on my health. Why would I voluntarily give it up?
LOVE COFFEE!!!!  =D
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 11:38:39 AM »
Most folks I know who gave up coffee (for whatever reason) either did a substitute (like tea or even a coffee substitute like pero) or just gave it up cold turkey.

I haven't tried pero, so I couldn't tell you if it was any good or not.

I hear coca leaves do the trick.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 11:39:10 AM »
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 11:50:59 AM »
  It darkens teeth, it

Regular biannual dental cleaning visits takes care of that.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 12:03:09 PM »
I'm aware that I'm massively addicted to caffeine.  Most of us are.  And you know what, I don't actually care.  Caffeine is a cheap, ubiquitous, legal stimulant with an acceptable therapeutic index.  Like Roo_ster, I view it as a net plus.

I have detoxed from caffeine before to see if it was adversely impacting my sleep.  I found that decaf helped me have something to drink that didn't contain caffeine or alcohol but was more interesting to drink then water.  [How strange is it that the most commonly consumed beverages contain either an upper or a downer?]

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 12:11:27 PM »
You can have my coffee when you tear the cup out of my shaking hands  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 02:00:31 PM »
I don't smoke, drnk liqueur, gamble, or carouse with loose wimmin.
If I can't have coffee, just shoot me. Please.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 02:31:30 PM »

These kind of statements make me glad I find the taste of coffee repulsive.

Also, it's nice that I don't have to drink something in the morning before I can function. My mind works just as well when I first get up as the habitual coffee drinker's does after his coffee.

I don't understand why people choose to impair themselves.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 02:35:39 PM »
Why on earth would you do that to yourself?

Next you'll tell us you're giving up bacon.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 02:49:15 PM »
I don't smoke, drnk liqueur, gamble, or carouse with loose wimmin.

this, except I would love to carouse with loose wimmin...but they all seem to live in areas that outlaw ccw/open carry.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 02:53:54 PM »
You've found tea. Problem solved. You have many teas to explore. Gunpowder, Assam, Yorkshire Gold, plain Yorkshire, Builders', etc.

If you're out running around and need caffeine, fret not. Most places you used to buy coffee also have tea. Or, they have hot water. Bring some tea bags with you, and chuck one in the hot water for about a minute.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 02:54:06 PM »
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 02:59:50 PM »
These kind of statements make me glad I find the taste of coffee repulsive.

Also, it's nice that I don't have to drink something in the morning before I can function. My mind works just as well when I first get up as the habitual coffee drinker's does after his coffee.

I don't understand why people choose to impair themselves.

I don't *need* coffee to get started in the morning, but I do like it.  I like the taste and smell. 

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 03:01:34 PM »
If you give up coffee you can't have one of these:

Uranus is a gas giant.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 03:11:09 PM »
I only read this thread to laugh at the coffee addicts peddle their drug of choice.
:P

I'm not a big coffee drinker, but a bad caffine addict. I just injest my caffine via diet coke or diet pepsi (yummy yummy chemicals)
The headaches suck, but it passes in a day or so. Caffine actually leaves the system pretty quick. I kicked the habit for almost two years. I switched to Sprite. College and Vanillia Coke brought me back to the dark side.
If you want honesty, caffine or no caffine, it didn't really affect me one way or another. *shrug* I still was an ADD powered insomnic without the ability to fully wake up until I'd been on my feet for a few hours.
For the record, caffine is not even close to powerful enough to make me a morning person. And cocaine is too exspensive. :P

Supposedly, coffee is good for you, in the same way red wine and chocolete are actually good for you (they say in moderation, but I think attempting to moderate chocolete consumption is entirely too dangorous for both the induvidial and the innocent bystanders)

If you must, switch to decaf first. Kick the actual caffine first. Then, once you get that out of the way, try herbal teas. BTW, chocolete also contains caffine (so there goes the hot chocolete suggestion)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 03:12:52 PM »
I'm aware that I'm massively addicted to caffeine.  Most of us are.  And you know what, I don't actually care.  Caffeine is a cheap, ubiquitous, legal stimulant with an acceptable therapeutic index.  Like Roo_ster, I view it as a net plus.

it's a delicate balance.  Too much, and I loose sleep, which makes me stupid.  Sometimes I can't tell when it makes me stupid.  Not good.

I have detoxed from caffeine before to see if it was adversely impacting my sleep.  I found that decaf helped me have something to drink that didn't contain caffeine or alcohol but was more interesting to drink then water.  [How strange is it that the most commonly consumed beverages contain either an upper or a downer?]

I've gone off a couple times.  Cold turkey means mood swings and a lot of napping for a few days.  I didn't get headaches.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 03:14:04 PM »
I don't *need* coffee to get started in the morning, but I do like it.  I like the taste and smell. 

Chris

Same here. I have a couple of cups every day and have never found myself "addicted" to it. When I have to go to sea, I never drink it because it will sometimes bring on seasickness. Or even some days I just wake up and don't feel like any. I never get a craving.

It's interesting, I NEVER liked coffee when I was younger and rarely drank it. Then in my late 20's, started having it when the then girlfriend and I would go out to breakfast on the weekend, or when on vacation. Then through my 30's I would have it at home on weekends as well. It wasn't till my 40's that I got into having morning coffee on weekdays as well.  Now it's just kind of a ritual to get up and make a french press full, have a cup at the computer while I peruse APS and my work email to see what I'm in for, then a second cup with breakfast.

I've never been into having coffee later in the day. While I will sometimes have my third cup of the day in the morning at work,  I rarely drink it after noon.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."