Author Topic: I'd like to give up coffee  (Read 4109 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: I'd like to give up coffee
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 03:36:07 PM »
Same here. I have a couple of cups every day and have never found myself "addicted" to it. When I have to go to sea, I never drink it because it will sometimes bring on seasickness. Or even some days I just wake up and don't feel like any. I never get a craving.

It's interesting, I NEVER liked coffee when I was younger and rarely drank it.

Yup.  I was a cola fiend for a long, long time.  (Coke, the real thing.)

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 04:09:27 PM »
I think I've quit caffeine every year for the last 7-8 years.
Its usually because it gets to the point where I'm drinking quarts of it a day, getting heart rythym problems, etc. I remember times where I needed to drink coffee to 'calm my nerves' before bedtime so that I could fall asleep.
Cold turkey + 1 long screaming!!!! headache for 3-5 days.
I usually fall off the wagon within a month or two, but the benifit of quitting is that I don't need that much coffee at first....
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 04:43:45 PM »
Actually I don't NEED coffee in the way most people think. I get up early and hit the ground running and don't have my first coffee until I come in from my morning chores. Then, I sit down have my coffee and the whole day comes together. Energy, serenity, mental clarity.
Many years ago, my well-intentioned wife decided I should go off caffeine. Without my knowledge or consent, she switched completely to decaf. I had headaches but the worst thing was sudden uncharacteristic constipation. I could not figure out why a system that had always worked just fine was suddenly on shut down. By the time she confessed, I was pretty damn miserable and I told her she better NEVER pull something like that again.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 09:36:13 PM »
Any pointers?

I've decided I'm starting today.  I've had a couple cups of tea this morning rather than my regular coffee.  I imagine the headaches will come sometime after lunch from caffeine withdrawal, and stick around for about a week until I'm detoxed.

Heretic.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2013, 10:08:37 PM »
Self promoting SOB.

:rofl:

yeah, I get that notion too, however some of the "bio hacks" are none the less interesting.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 10:15:40 PM »
I quit coffee for a year in 1979, that first cup was GREAT!  after a whole year.
I had cut down quite a bit in recent years due to severe heartburn but since I've cured my heartburn I've resumed coffee with a vengeance.

I had two pots this morning ( roughly 8 cups I guess, I have a big french press ) I have been planning on trying the bullet proof coffee I posted earlier but not his brand - just the recipe ... currently drink it black with a dash of stevia.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

æg151337

• Gamera Public Relations Slave
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2013, 11:23:21 PM »
These kind of statements make me glad I find the taste of coffee repulsive.

Also, it's nice that I don't have to drink something in the morning before I can function. My mind works just as well when I first get up as the habitual coffee drinker's does after his coffee.

I don't understand why people choose to impair themselves.

Well, it's like smoking.  If i never started smoking to begin with, i would never no the difference. But i did start. And now that it's worked well into my routine i simply don't want to quite even though i don't get a buzz or anthing. I simply enjoy the act and the excuse to get out of whatever situation im in that's causing stress. Same goes for coffee for me. I didn't start drinking massive amounts of coffee until my job required it of me. Now i love to drink coffee all the time untill my heart's ready to explode. Yes, i will live a short life most likely but at least I'm gonna enjoy watching it fly by with coffee and cig's.
Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat!
Gamera is filled with meat!
We've been eating GA-MER-AAAA!!!!!

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2013, 11:56:19 PM »
I drink probably 5-6 cups of tea each day.  Never have cared much for coffee, and absolutely cannot stand sweetened sodas.  As an aside I do LOVE Talking Rain and Canada Dry flavored sparkling water, but its just water with carbonation and a little flavoring, but no sugar or other sweeteners at all.  It was a boon when I had to quit drinking alcohol (primarilly beer) for several weeks in 2009 when the unemployment started to really get to me and depression was threatening to move into the guest room.

Anyway, I know damn well I'm a caffeine addict, but I love the taste too much to find detoxing to be worthwhile.  I do skip it if I'm going on the water (esp power boats), and the weekends I cut back to maybe 2-4 cups per day.  Biggest issue seems to be to also make sure I drink some regular water too, or else the dehydration from the diuretic effects of caffeine make me feel bad.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:59:25 PM by sumpnz »

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 12:54:02 AM »
I quit drinking/ciggs/sugar/gluten//candy/ice cream/gatorade/ and woman have quit me - I have nothing left to enjoy except APS/facebook and coffee and an occaisonal cool news story like today's success in Colorado.

aint giving up caffeine or coffee ( I drink those nasty no carb no sugar energy drinks too. )

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2013, 09:37:49 AM »
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Thank you Dr. Wellington Yueh! =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2013, 09:53:44 AM »
I have cut back: usually don't drink coffee after lunch.

Before lunch, I'm pretty much constantly drinking coffee.

=)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2013, 10:43:05 AM »
Thank you Dr. Wellington Yueh! =D

As a long-time Dune fan, I must protest.  The 'Mentat's Creed' was not in the book.  David Lynch added it to the film and it was spoken by Mentat Piter De Vries, played by Brad Dourif.  Yueh had nothing to do with it.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed,
the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMBb_tPPA8E

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
mmmm coffee.  the aroma and flavor are devine.  the energy and chatty buzz is stimulating.  but alas, it interrupts my sleep patterns and induces a crash about 3-4 hours after drinking, making afternoon work a real chore.   i find without it my day goes smoother, and my work has less mistakes.

good luck with your withdrawal.  btw, decaf has 30-50% of regular coffee's caffeine.  it may help you to get through the headaches.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2013, 11:28:22 AM »
Day 2.  No problems.  Drinking tea... one irish breakfast tea (black) and another herbal caffeine-free tea.  Feel pretty level.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 11:55:01 AM »
I drink an average of 8-10 cups of cofee a day during the week. On days where work is so crazy I can't drink any, I have no headaches or sluggishness. On the weekends I generally don't have any, and most of the time have no caffeine in general. No side effects there either. I'm not a morning person so it takes me a while to get going, but I have my coffee after I've already gotten going and gotten to work.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2013, 11:57:12 AM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2013, 12:00:32 PM »
2-3 cups per day here and I am addicted to it.  If I don't get my morning coffee I'm a little fuzzy in the head.  If I go to day 2 the headaches start.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2013, 02:35:12 PM »
As a long-time Dune fan, I must protest.  The 'Mentat's Creed' was not in the book.  David Lynch added it to the film and it was spoken by Mentat Piter De Vries, played by Brad Dourif.  Yueh had nothing to do with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMBb_tPPA8E

Oops!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G