Author Topic: Nurses need a BSN to find a job  (Read 4110 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Nurses need a BSN to find a job
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2015, 12:49:19 PM »
Or they've wrecked their back or shoulder and can't do bedside work?  Nurses have a very high rate of work-related injury.

For a while, I dated an RN who also had a degree in programming, acquired while she was on disability after being attacked by a drug crazed patient.  She was making 3-4x more consulting on medical software development than she ever had doing patient care.

Neemi

• friend
Re:
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2015, 06:38:29 PM »
I'd say 90ish% of the nurses on my old unit were BSN prepared. A few couldn't hack it (not everyone belongs in an ER), but our hiring process weeded out most of the clueless types. They hired me as a new grad and I had a 6 month mentorship. They're pressuring the veteran nurses to get their BSN, but most are so close to retirement that they're not going to. Some of those were forced into early retirement, others were demoted in title and pay, and others flat out quit.

We lost a lot of our experienced staff that way. I worked there 8 years total. But the turnover and burnout rates are such that I was a senior staff member by 3 years in. So when you cut out those who've managed to stick there for 30 years, you lose amazing resources.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk