Author Topic: It's click bait from hell, but...  (Read 4117 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
It's click bait from hell, but...
« on: October 22, 2015, 10:36:40 AM »
It's actually a pretty good list of the best Sci-Fi movies ever made.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/g2419/100-best-sci-fi-movies/?src=arb_fb_d&mag=esq&dom=fb

A lot of great movies in there, including some of my personal favorites -- Forbidden Planet, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Metropolis, Blade Runner -- and a bunch I've never heard of.

I was disappointed that I, Robot didn't make the list. I think it's an excellent movie and is one that is going to hold up well over time.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: It's click bait from hell, but...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 12:44:51 PM »
I know it is 100 movies, but Starship Troopers should never have made that list.  

I need to look for Attack of the Block though.  Looks entertaining.

Never heard of Moon.  Is that any good?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 01:26:57 PM »
"I know it is 100 movies, but Starship Troopers should never have made that list."

Yeah, gotta agree with you. That movie really stank on ice.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 02:19:35 PM »
That movie really stank on ice.

Even if you don't know the book, it stinks.

Metropolis - the old, old, Fritz Lange Metropolis? That's going way back.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 04:29:53 PM »
It's actually a pretty good list of the best Sci-Fi movies ever made.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/g2419/100-best-sci-fi-movies/?src=arb_fb_d&mag=esq&dom=fb

A lot of great movies in there, including some of my personal favorites -- Forbidden Planet, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Metropolis, Blade Runner -- and a bunch I've never heard of.

I was disappointed that I, Robot didn't make the list. I think it's an excellent movie and is one that is going to hold up well over time.

I found "I Robot" to be mediocre at best. And the main plot point, the central computer/AI of USR decided it needed to take over the world to keep humans safe in accordance with the three laws was predictable and not very deep.

The two things that were good in the movie, were the way the new line of robots were marketed in an Apple iPhone style marketing campaign, both in the movie, and in the pre-release viral marketing, and how the robots attacking Will Smith on the freeway jumping onto his car said "YOU ARE EXPERIENCING AN AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT, PLEASE REMAIN CALM." while they tried to rip apart his car at speed was pretty funny.

The rest of the movie? I give it four and a half "meh's" out of five.
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 04:50:57 PM »
Seen 30 of those.

Not sure if Repo Man really belongs in that (yes, I know, aliens, but I still never felt that as Science Fiction), but it's a great movie, so awesome. Same for Clockwork Orange. For some reason, I see those more as social commentary. Also, if they rate, so should Dr. Strangelove.

Starship Troopers does not belong anywhere near that list.

Also, pleased to see eXitance. Awesome movie.

Missing notables: Strange Days, Johnny Mnemonic, Interstellar, The Fifth Element, Equilibrium.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 04:53:03 PM »
I found "I Robot" to be mediocre at best. And the main plot point, the central computer/AI of USR decided it needed to take over the world to keep humans safe in accordance with the three laws was predictable and not very deep.
I liked it, in large part because I saw in it a critique of big government and legislated safety.  Something I didn't expect out of mainstream Hollywood.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 04:58:35 PM »

The two things that were good in the movie, were the way the new line of robots were marketed in an Apple iPhone style marketing campaign, both in the movie, and in the pre-release viral marketing, and how the robots attacking Will Smith on the freeway jumping onto his car said "YOU ARE EXPERIENCING AN AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT, PLEASE REMAIN CALM." while they tried to rip apart his car at speed was pretty funny.

The rest of the movie? I give it four and a half "meh's" out of five.

I've got to disagree with you, and give your assessment 72.5 mehs out of 5.... :D

It was well acted, it had a very good cast, the effects were pretty spectacular, it had some pretty neat plot twists.

Yes, it was predictable, but these days most movies really are, especially when they're based (as I, Robot was) on a compendium of short stories that really leads in that direction.

Technology taking over, either for good or for evil, is a theme that stretches back in the movies all the way to Metropolis.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 06:23:08 PM »
Technology taking over, either for good or for evil, is a theme that stretches back in the movies all the way to Metropolis.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 08:18:20 PM »
The Fifth Element is on!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 08:25:57 PM »

Metropolis - the old, old, Fritz Lange Metropolis? That's going way back.

Excellent film. It should be on any "top 100 list". Probably "top 25" given it was an early kickstarter to the genre.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
Re:
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 08:27:08 PM »
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 08:34:19 PM »
Oh, and Screamers didn't make the list (and god damn that movie creeps me out)

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 11:23:29 PM »
Is Screamers the one with the robots on some ice place?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 11:47:17 PM »
Wasn't screamers the one with little terrier sized killer robots?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114367/
Yep.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 06:11:30 AM »
Excellent film. It should be on any "top 100 list". Probably "top 25" given it was an early kickstarter to the genre.

It's number 5 on this list.

It should be higher.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 03:04:38 PM »
Also, pleased to see eXitance. Awesome movie.

Missing notables: Strange Days, Johnny Mnemonic, Interstellar, The Fifth Element, Equilibrium.

Wait, someone else saw eXistenz?  And liked it, too?  I thought I was the only one.  Jennifer Jason Leigh could sure play a bad guy.

[Looking for other signs of the pockylypse.]
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 03:08:42 PM »
Wait, someone else saw eXistenz?  And liked it, too?  I thought I was the only one.  Jennifer Jason Leigh could sure play a bad guy.

[Looking for other signs of the pockylypse.]

Loved that movie. Plus, it's not every movie that you see a pair of Komandor's.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 03:36:08 PM »
Glad to see Forbidden Planet on the list (should have ranked much higher than #14) and the original The Day the Earth Stood Still, not that Keanu Reeves abomination. Earth vs. the Flying Saucers would have been a better choice than some of the more recent crap that made the list. (e.g., Donnie Darko.) The Thing should have been the original version - not John Carpenter's remake with Kurt Russel, but the one that had James Arness in the title role.

George Pal's War of the Worlds and of course Serenity should have been near the top of the list - not the bottom. And a few oldies like Things To Come and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea deserved a spot on the list more than Attack the Block, Cube, Dark Star, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 04:05:39 PM »
I've seen 69 of them.  Several of the others are on my list of movies to watch sometime.  A nice mix of good, schlocky, and just plain bad.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

JN01

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 04:56:54 PM »
I actually kind of enjoyed Starship Troopers as a goofy, campy kind of movie.  Doesn't have much in common with the story, but fun.

Fahrenheit 451 not only strayed from the book, but the movie was a steaming pile of crap.

The top pick, 2001: A Space Odyssey, was beautifully filmed, but if you have never read the book, it is a giant WTF?

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 05:04:36 PM »
I've seen 69 of them.

I'm surprised you could see your TV from down there.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 06:35:49 PM »
At least Dark Star made the list, so it's not totally FUBAR.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 07:14:12 PM »
I've seen 73 of them, and bits and pieces of several others.  Can't say all of them should have made the list.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2015, 08:47:37 PM »
Back to the Future?? I never did understand why that movie gets so much respect.

Primer is a really, uh, special film. I've been meaning to watch it once or twice more, for comprehension, but I haven't found myself in quite the right mood yet.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife