Author Topic: Green Flames: London’s Lesson  (Read 4107 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Green Flames: London’s Lesson
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 11:46:23 AM »
That would be an awfully small water heater for four kitchens and eight bathrooms.

Generally a water heater/storage tank will simply be represented by a circle. I've never really seen them being proportionally scaled to the actual size of the unit.

It could even represent one of the very large, high capacity on demand units.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »
I'm not sure the space is big enough for a tank unit to handle 16 bedrooms worth of people. As for tankless, is that a plan from a remodel?  Can't see it being tankless from the early 1970s.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 08:27:33 AM »
What confuses me is the placement.  None of the other 3 units require going through 2 doors to enter through the living room.  If it was a water heater, wouldn't the door be used to close its little cubbyhole by itself instead of the whole entryway to that unit?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 10:31:02 AM »
Ah geesh, I didn't see the whole floorplan that Hawk posted. I was only seeing that little snippet...

My guess, from looking at that layout, is that Agricola may very well be right. It may well be the garbage chute. 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 11:49:30 AM »
Looks like this is going to be a VERY expensive lesson.

http://www.newser.com/story/244712/police-find-cause-of-grenfell-blaze.html

Detective Superintendent Fiona McCormack—who has promised an "exhaustive" investigation, per the BBC—adds authorities will now consider manslaughter charges after the building's insulation and cladding "failed all safety tests." Officials say cladding samples from 11 other high-rise buildings in eight municipalities in the UK, including in London, have also failed tests.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2017, 12:18:04 PM »
Looks like this is going to be a VERY expensive lesson.

http://www.newser.com/story/244712/police-find-cause-of-grenfell-blaze.html

As you know, building codes are written in blood.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2017, 09:10:46 PM »
As you know, building codes are written in blood.

True. Sadly, that's what motivates government.

Dangerous intersections only rate lights ("signalization") when the body count reaches an unacceptable level -- which around here can be pretty high.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2017, 11:24:00 PM »
Heard on the news that searchers might not be able to find all the bodies.

Are they not going to search every floor?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2017, 10:30:03 AM »
Heard on the news that "officials" invaded 4 other London high rises late in the evening, told the residents that the buildings had been deemed "dangerous" . . . and chased them out.

Residents barely had time to dress and gather a few belongings in a bag or suitcase before being evicted by the hundreds.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2017, 11:38:51 PM »
Sounds like good new homes for a certain demographic of immigrants.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2017, 07:04:32 AM »
Interesting: "A firefighter had found Ahmed passed out on a fire escape on the 18th floor of the 24-story tower and carried her out."

Sounds like SCBA or at least filtered escape hoods might have been a worthwhile investment.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2017, 09:44:40 AM »

If I recall correctly, weren't insurance companies screaming about certain types of blow in foam being insanely dangerous if not installed 100% correctly and appropriate fire barriers? As I remember, badly, polyurethane foams specifically are petrochemicals that can give off cyanates when burned.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2017, 11:15:29 AM »
If I recall correctly, weren't insurance companies screaming about certain types of blow in foam being insanely dangerous if not installed 100% correctly and appropriate fire barriers? As I remember, badly, polyurethane foams specifically are petrochemicals that can give off cyanates when burned.

Correct. When I was in a firm that specialized in large reroofing projects -- 20+ years ago -- this was already in the codes in the United States. Foam plastic roofing insulation boards in the U.S. typically aren't polyurethane, they are polyisocyanurate. Less flammable.