Author Topic: Honda Pickup: Thoughts  (Read 12814 times)

Cool Hand Luke 22:36

Honda Pickup: Thoughts
« on: March 03, 2005, 09:57:35 PM »
The Honda Ridgeline, Kinda ugly and pricey IMO. $27K base

"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it."
Henry David Thoreau

wasrjoe

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 09:58:41 PM »
Gross.

$27k?Huh?

Double-gross.
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 10:09:28 PM »
An ugly overpriced Yuppie Pickup truck. What were they thinking?

Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 10:11:49 PM »
I like the swingout tailgate idea, kind of like my parent's old station wagon, but the extremely high sides of the bed make the truck impossible to load from the side, why? It makes no sense, styling completely overtaking function, on a pickup truck....

Henry David Thoreau

Wildalaska

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 10:12:21 PM »
Looks like one of thoise gross Chevy Avalanches

WildallcarssuckAlaska
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 10:14:02 PM »
Oh yes, it's way ugly inside also:

Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 10:15:36 PM »
I am afraid this will actually sell. Honda can put dog doo on a stick and urban coasties will flock to have it at any price. It's a Honda!
Henry David Thoreau

sven

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 10:16:08 PM »
Looks like a El Camino ... er... bred with an Element.

:shock:

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 10:21:17 PM »
Looks like one of thoise gross Chevy Avalanches

They did away with all the plastic cladding on the Avalanche last model year, who knew it was even uglier underneath?
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 10:23:22 PM »
Looks like a El Camino ... er... bred with an Element.

Yep, like a baby born of Rosie O'Donnell and Charles Schumer.
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 10:27:01 PM »
$27K and all you get is this anemic V6?

Engine Type: V6

Engine Block/Cylinder Head: Aluminum-Alloy

Displacement (cc): 3471

Horsepower @ rpm (SAE net): 255 @ 5750

Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm): 252 @ 4500

For $27K I can get a pretty nice F-150 with a 4.8L V8, with all the ugly left off.
Henry David Thoreau

Wildalaska

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 10:32:34 PM »
Yep, like a baby born of Rosie O'Donnell and Charles Schumer.

Oleg...OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegggggggg...I wanna report Cool Hand Luke for posts that degrade the human race.....

WildtalkaboutspawnofsatanwowAlaska
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

Schuey2002

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 10:32:42 PM »
It's hideous !!!!!!

And wuz up with that stupid independent rear suspension?? It's a bloody truck not a 4wd ATV. Forget about hauling anything heavy in the bed.

Rear axle articulation?? [Honda Engineers] "Soccer moms will never need it."[/HE's]  

Oh, why did they put the spare tire UNDER the bed. No, not under the truck, under the bed. If you get a flat tire while your bed is loaded down with cargo, your going to have to unload the whole thing in order to get the spare out.  rolleyes

wasrjoe

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 10:35:13 PM »
Oh, why did they put the spare tire UNDER the bed. No, not under the truck, under the bed. If you get a flat tire while you bed is loaded down with cargo, your going to have to unload the whole thing in order to get the spare out.

I thought the truckbed was some sort of vestigial status symbol?
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

Schuey2002

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 11:25:35 PM »

That brings a chuckle everytime that I see it.. cheesy

[Soccer mom] "Uhmm.. Hi, AutoClub. Yeah, I've got a flat. I was on the way back from the nursery with a load of cow poo fertilizer in the bed of my new Honda Ridgeline, and I must have run over a nail or something. Do you think that you could send someone out here to look at it? Thanks!"

[AAA] "Sure, we'll send someone right out."

[Soccer mom] "Also, does he has a shovel with him? 'Cause he's going to have shovel out the back of my bed to get the spare out."

rolleyes

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 02:37:30 AM »
Didn't VW try the non-seperate truck bed a couple of decades ago? And promptly quit because if you carried anything heavy in the bed, you would end up tearing the truck apart?

Goood thinking, Honda. Wink

Greg L

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 02:44:46 AM »
Unfortunately it will probably sell quite well.  Mainly to those people who have no idea what a truck is used for, how you are really limited if you don't at least have the ability to put a cap on the back if needed, how you are going to get to the spare if you've got junk back there (granted, anyone who regularly hauls around stuff will probably get a real truck), etc, etc.

Sad really as it should probably be in a museum somewhere as an example of what not to do.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2005, 03:13:17 AM »
What are the twin-cabs like off-road?

I've got a friend who really wants one, but a farmer friend of mine says that all the twincabs he has seen suck off-road, and he has around 80,000 off-road only miles on his Daihaitsu 4-trak so I assume he knows a thing or two.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Wedge

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2005, 03:54:17 AM »
I want to first state that I would not buy that vehicle.  However, I think that it does have a place.  There are a lot of people that want a truck but they don't want it to ride like a truck.  They want a car, but they need more space and they need an open bed not an SUV.  I think that is where the Honda will fit.  It will not replace a truck at all.  

But what it will do is keep people from always asking you to bring your truck over to help them move.  IMO that is the best thing about more open bed vehicles being on the road.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2005, 04:18:25 AM »

[Soccer mom] "Also, does he has a shovel with him? 'Cause he's going to have shovel out the back of my bed to get the spare out."

Schuey, you're assuming the Soccer Mom knows where the spare is or that she even has one.

Greg

12 Volt Man

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2005, 04:49:26 AM »
I say you take the back off of an SUV, it does not become a truck.  Either make a truck or don't.  I sold Honda's for a few years.  There was always talk of Honda making a truck to compete with Toyota.  This "truck" is nothing close to the Toyota's.

client32

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2005, 05:06:51 AM »
But what it will do is keep people from always asking you to bring your truck over to help them move. IMO that is the best thing about more open bed vehicles being on the road.

I have found that a combination of two bumper stickers can help you out of that situation.

"Yes, this my pickup.  No, I will not help you move"
"Keep Honking.  I'm Reloading"
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

aguyindallas

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2005, 05:08:06 AM »
Well, me working at an Acura dealer, I can tell you that Honda/Acura customers are typically loyal. I mean, loyal like a cult. Even if this truck does not sway ANY domestic truck buyers, it will still succeed just because of all the loyal Honda buyers in the market.

Look at the Odysee (sp?). Minivans are out, SUV's are in, but people are waiting in line to get a new Odysee.

It will make it, no doubt in my mind.
Vote For Pedro

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2005, 09:47:48 AM »
Oleg...OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegggggggg...I wanna report Cool Hand Luke for posts that degrade the human race.....
 Now we know who did all the whining that shut down the RT.   :x   Wink

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2005, 10:42:09 AM »
...I can tell you that Honda/Acura customers are typically loyal. I mean, loyal like a cult...

My wife resembles that remark.  One of the reasons we bought the much-maligned Uglyment.

In the Uglyment's defense, we got more useful vehicle space for our $$$ than we could have goten with any other vehicle.

It will sell because Honda-owners looking for a "pickup-like" vehicle will get all giddy.  You should have seen the goofiness exhibited by some when the Uglyment came out.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton