Author Topic: Honda Pickup: Thoughts  (Read 12813 times)

Standing Wolf

• friend
Honda Pickup: Thoughts
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2005, 10:49:03 AM »
...I can tell you that Honda/Acura customers are typically loyal. I mean, loyal like a cult...

I'm on my third Honda. I doubt I'd even seriously consider another brand of motor vehicle. The worst problem I've ever had with a Honda was the cigarette lighter in a Civic. I had to replace it three times during the life of the car.

That's been it.

That said", I can't imagine myself paying $27 K for a truck.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Boats

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2005, 11:02:42 AM »
I'm waiting on the Jeep Gladiator if it is made:

The next three Supreme Court nominations are the real battles of the century.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2005, 11:13:00 AM »
The driver's side rear door sure is small on that Jeep.
For entertainment purposes only.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2005, 11:30:26 AM »
The driver's side rear door sure is small on that Jeep.

Suicide doors, the Mazda Rx-8 has them. They look pretty cool, and aside from that I'm sure there is a reason for them. Probably something to do with not needing a door pillar if the rear doors open the other way.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Quintin

• http://www.f150online.com/galleries/mygallery.cfm?gnum=4436
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2005, 12:31:48 PM »
I think Honda will sell every one of those they can build.  It fits a certain niche, kinda like Ford's Exploder SportTrac, people who want a quiet and civilized ride, with a bed to haul "normal" things like say a few bags of peat moss or some other junk in a manageable size.

I do think the pricing is rather ridiculous though.  $27K?  A decently equipped half ton pickup from any of the big three can be had for that.  But then again, different vehicles for different demographics.
Please give me the good news first.

Schuey2002

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2005, 12:55:48 PM »
Just a thought but, if you had a full size tire hanging on the side of that Jeep, wouldn't it create a HUGE blind spot for the driver?? :?

Boats

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2005, 01:28:22 PM »
Just a thought but, if you had a full size tire hanging on the side of that Jeep, wouldn't it create a HUGE blind spot for the driver?? :?

Only if you are short. Cheesy  I am not short. :twisted:

Schuey2002

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2005, 01:41:10 PM »
Neither am I. Not unless 5' 10" is considered short?! Sad

crt360

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2005, 02:08:18 PM »
Iain, check out the second picture.  The door I'm talking about is a bit smaller than your average suicide door.
For entertainment purposes only.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2005, 02:48:35 PM »
Iain, check out the second picture.  The door I'm talking about is a bit smaller than your average suicide door.

Heh, now I didn't spot that.

I'd imagine anyone over the age of six trying to get through that door would be pretty suicidal.

Just a thought - I wonder if that door is paw operated? It's about the right size for a dog.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Boats

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2005, 03:28:05 PM »
The small door is a pass through for small items like a grocery sack or something like a rifle. Cheesy

The whole vehicle is a concept car, though more "produceable" than most. I very much doubt such a mini-door would be put on a production model. Two suicide doors would be more practical.

The spare on the side is only to preserve ground clearance and departure angle. It could probably be moved to the tailgate or something if it turns out to be an obstruction.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2005, 05:47:04 AM »
You could always put the spare on top Smiley

Cool Hand Luke 22:36

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2005, 10:58:02 AM »
Interesting comparison between these two trucks. They are obviously meant to appeal to two very different groups.

For its Ridgeline consumer focus group, Honda must have used a random sample taken from a taping of the Oprah Wimphrey Show. For its Jeep Gladiator consumer focus group DCX must have rounded up a crew from a taping of "Mail Call" including the old Gunny himself.

Strangely enough, the two trucks are both "lifestyle vehicles" that most likely won't impress anyone who needs a truck to do much "real" work with.
"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it."
Henry David Thoreau

Boats

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2005, 02:38:46 PM »
I don't want a real truck, but while I want a fake one I realize a few things.

The Honda is hideous. Cheesy
95% of truck owners rarely use theirs for anything "butch." Most of the time, that bed is hauling wind. The Jeep will do for the "honey-do" list and hauling a dirt bike. It can always haul a trailer.
Whatever its merits as a truck, the Jeep will be a very competent off road vehicle with a real 4WD transmission instead of an AWD system.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2005, 06:38:56 PM »
the driverside mini door is for loading ammo cans for the truck gun
and for releasing the hound
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

onions!

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2005, 06:50:24 PM »
I work in a GMC dealership.A few of us were checking that thing out on-line the other day.

The consensus is that those things are gonna sell like crazy in the Exploder/Dakota/Envoy/Trailblazer/Rainer segment.

We've seen repeat women customers who have down traded their Suburban/Yukon XLs for Envoys.It isn't much of a stretch to see these customers going to a Honda product.

As far as the traditional pickup buyer,the imports have a LONG way to go before they touch that market.

IOWs,I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a crew cab duallie Honda. Cheesy

johnster999

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2005, 07:33:36 PM »
Somebody will buy it but not me. Asthetically, it's totally missing what a pickup truck is all about.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2005, 12:35:51 PM »
That's one of the first things that caught my eye, too.  No cab/box gap, ala' the El Camino/Ranchero/VW Pickup/Scamp/Rampage.  That leads me to believe it's a unibody.  No thank you.  Sad

Maybe the minivan/soccer mommies will buy them. That's good, because last I heard, many of them have been focusing their maternal instincts on the Dodge Magnum Hemi wagons, in an effort to break free of the stereotype.  That drives the price of the Magnum wagon up, and delays my own purchase plans.     :cry:
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

jmtgsx

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2005, 03:34:57 PM »
IMHO Ridgeline has exceeded Element in the BUGLY department, but as has been stated...they will sell all they want to make.

Make mine a Tundra for the same money.
Significant,  at best.

ONE-SHOT-ONE

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2006, 06:28:50 AM »
i have always liked "different" looking vehicles but after reading this i droped the honda from my "next" list.
from edmunds.com
"One incident that led us to question the Ridgeline's adeptness as a true truck involved its ability to withstand off-road use. Senior Consumer Advice Editor Phil Reed took the truck camping in Death Valley, California, and was disappointed with the outcome. The road to the campsite was a long, but relatively flat stretch that seemed well within the Ridgeline's capabilities. Its surface was rough washboard but certainly nothing that couldn't be handled at modest speeds by a modern truck. "I adjusted my speed to minimize vibration and eventually settled between 10 and 15 mph. I held my speed down and steered around the worst of the holes and ruts."

Unfortunately, his tame driving didn't render the Ridgeline damage-free. On the return trip, Phil realized that the Ridgeline seemed to be handling a bit strange, and took it directly to the dealer. A check revealed that all four struts were blown out and needed to be replaced. According to the dealer the repair didn't qualify for warranty work, but nonetheless, Honda agreed to cover the repair as a "one-time, good-faith" gesture. Needless to say, had they not done this our faith in the Ridgeline and Honda's willingness to stand by it would not have been good.

Honda later sent us a letter letting us know that their engineers had examined the damaged struts and concluded that we must have driven at very high speeds for an extended period of time to cause that kind of damage. "We would welcome the opportunity to have you test the Ridgeline against other competitor(s) on the same course that you drove," concluded the letter. With that in mind we traced Phil's Death Valley route in our long-term Toyota Tacoma crew cab. It's equipped with the TRD Sport package designed to give it improved performance on the road without degrading its off-road capability. We drove the exact same route at varying speeds and experienced no damage of any kind. Given the fact that Toyota has been building trucks for decades, we weren't all that surprised.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=105797/pageNumber=5

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2006, 06:41:58 AM »
Toyota makes the only Japanese trucks and SUVs I'd own, though their recent attempts at SUVs leave me cold.  I've driven my 97 4Runner places that would make a Ridgeline cry. Cheesy

Chris

...has left the building.

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2006, 03:51:53 AM »
I think Honda hit the bullseye on this one. They would NEVER have a chance of selling a "real" pickup truck to the hairy chested pickup crowd so why bother? This design is for suburbanites and light rural duty. Instead of thinking of putting a load of cinder blocks in the back, your typical Ridgeline owner is probably thinking of tossing three hockey equipment bags in the bed and driving the 3 kids to practice.

But then again I might be a Honda loyalist since I drive another one of their silly creations, the S2000.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2006, 05:12:06 AM »
They would NEVER have a chance of selling a "real" pickup truck to the hairy chested pickup crowd so why bother?
I disagree.  Toyota and Nissan do a good job, why can't Honda?  All they have to do is make a REAL truck.  That means a real frame, real suspension, etc.  I'd certainly consider a Honda pickup or SUV if they made one with truck underpinnings and not that of a minivan.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with the Ridgeline if they advertised it showing it being used the way you say it's intended to be used.  However, the ads I've seen show it offroad in situations it'll never see in real life.  It's the same with the Pilot.  They advertise it as a hairy chested offroad machine, but having driven one, I'd wager you'd get it stuck the first time you got into deep mud or sand.  That said, it's a very nice vehicle (my friends have one and I've drive it several times), but not an offroad machine.

There's nothing silly about the S2000 (or any of their cars for that matter).  If I didn't have a kid and/or had room for a third vehicle, I'd like to have one.  Of course, I could just park it in my front yard, but that would make El T sad. Cheesy

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2006, 05:51:43 AM »
I know a lot of people who, when Toyota came out with their full-size PU, beat the chests and hooted in derision. These were people who were conceived in the bed of a PU at the drive in, born in the front seat on the way to the hospital, and who thought sedans were simply speed bumps on the road. They could never, ever, conceive of driving anything but a Ford/Chevy/Dodge truck, and would willingly throw down and go fist to fist with anyone who insulted their Ford/Chevy/Dodge.

Quite a few of them are now driving Tacomas because they've found them to be better than the Ford/Chevy/Dodge trucks that were such large parts of their psyche.

I suspect if Honda comes out with a PU they'll be world beaters.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2006, 05:54:34 AM »
I agree, but Honda doesn't seem to want to do anything other than pander to the soccermommy club.  There's nothing wrong with that, but let's have a little truth in advertising.

Chris