Author Topic: mmmm, mojito  (Read 1546 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
mmmm, mojito
« on: July 23, 2006, 10:22:28 AM »
Been hearing a lot about the Mojito lately, so I decided to try it myself.  Since I ony had dark rum on hand, I had to find a recipe utilizing dark rum (most use light rum).  Turns out, the original (the Draque) used dark rum, but the only mention of a recipe was that you could substitute dark for light in a regular mojito.  Brown sugar was suggested over the standard white as well.

Anyhoo, it's a dang tasty drink.  You barely taste the rum, but after downing nearly a whole one, I can certainly feel it.  With dark rum, it looks like cloudy tea.

Recipe:
2-3oz rum (calls for light, I used dark)
2tsp sugar (I used brown sugar to go with the dark rum)
1oz lime juice (roughly one lime)
3-4 sprigs of mint
soda water
ice

Place mint, sugar, and a splash of soda into a mixing glass and use a wooden spoon or other blunt object to "muddle" (smash) the mint.  When you can smell the mint, add the rum and lime juice, shake well, and strain into a highball glass with cracked ice and enough soda to fill.  Enjoy on a sunny porch while you pretend you're Hemmingway or something... Cheesy

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
mmmm, mojito
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 10:57:21 AM »
"while you pretend you're Hemmingway or something... "

I don't think Hemmingway was quite that GAY to actually drink something with a name like that... Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
mmmm, mojito
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 11:13:33 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
"while you pretend you're Hemmingway or something... "

I don't think Hemmingway was quite that GAY to actually drink something with a name like that... Smiley
Umm, it was his favorite cocktail. Smiley

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
mmmm, mojito
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 11:22:11 AM »
"Umm, it was his favorite cocktail."

Hum...

I guess that might explain why the draft copy for his one book was named "The Brown Sun Also Rises..."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

...has left the building.

mmmm, mojito
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 02:20:27 PM »
I've always wanted to try one since I'm a big Hemingway fan...

But am I the only one who has good intentions of actually mixing a real cocktail yet somehow always ends up doing shots of the components and never making the drink?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
mmmm, mojito
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 04:11:32 PM »
Hah, reading "Sun Also Rises" right now, hopefully it'll pick up a bit.. Guess I'll have to mix one of these up to set the mood.  Cheesy

Is this drink at all related to MoJo? What does mojito mean?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

thebaldguy

• friends
mmmm, mojito
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 04:24:47 PM »
A mexican version uses tequilia instead of rum. My girlfriend prefers tequilia, so that's what I make!

mmmm, mojito
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 05:17:24 PM »
Funny you mention Mojitos.  Nobody ever heard of em at my buddy's place this weekend, and by the end of the night we had exhausted the supply of limes and rum, and killed a whole mint plant.  I couldn't make enough of em'.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
mmmm, mojito
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 05:25:35 PM »
Well, if you go literally with a Spanish root word, mojar means to dunk or make wet.

Apparently, though, it's derived not from Spanish, but from mojo, which is a charm or amulet in voodoo. My guess is that mojo probably entered the Carribean lexicon via African slaves who were also practitioners of voodoo.

The suffix ito means little in Spanish, so it probalby ultimately means little magic charm.

Oh, and The Sun Also Rises?

Fricking BRILLIANT book.

mmmm, mojito
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 05:47:49 PM »
ahh......Mojito!  I just mixed me one up.  ahhhhhh,  refreshing!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
mmmm, mojito
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 06:15:16 PM »
So a mojito is sort of/kind of like an old fashioned, except with rum instead of bourbon/whiskey.

I think I'd probably like one (or several)

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
mmmm, mojito
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 12:49:24 AM »
Interesting, I wish I had the recipe for the MoJo they make in the PI. It contained a bunch of different alcohols, mostly rums and vodka and it came out tasting like nothing more than fruit punch but boy would it whup your a$$! Cheesy

280plus

• friend
mmmm, mojito
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 01:17:33 AM »
I'll tell you another brilliant book, "Death of a Salesman". I just finished it, VERY powerful stuff. Relatively short and sweet too. Willy Loman reminds me a LOT of my Grandfather.