Author Topic: An American in Paris  (Read 636 times)

Dannyboy

• friend
An American in Paris
« on: July 23, 2006, 02:02:55 PM »
Standing on the top step of the podium while wearing the Maillot Jaune.  I know we have a few cyclists here, so did anyone watch the Tour this year?  I thought it was kind of dull until Periero got 30 minutes and the lead.  It got exciting after that, especially in the Alps.  Floyd Landis was pretty friggin amazing.  If Landis hadn't lost all that time and then came back and made it up the next day, I'd bet the French would be totally pissed right now.  However, since he made it one of the best races in recent history, I think they'll be willing to deal with another year with an American winner.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

mtnbkr

• friend
An American in Paris
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 02:28:20 PM »
I'm not terribly interested in road cycling, but I am amazed that Americans are doing so well in the Tour given the lukewarm support the sport has stateside.  Mountain biking, my sport and one that was BORN in the US, wasn't popular until it became an X-Games darling.  Even so, it's been in decline for the past couple years.

It's wonderful that there are still sportsmen that will take up a sport and excell at it without promises of fame and glory (or at least pro recruiters telling ignorant high schoolers that's the case...).

Chris

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
An American in Paris
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 05:46:07 PM »
HA!  We win again!

Wonder when new cheaating allegations will come out, as I don't think the French like us kicking their asses on home turf.

Didn't watch it, then again I didn't watch anymore than the momentary channel surfing amusement of the past Tours.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'