Author Topic: In a Funk  (Read 1664 times)

caseydog

• friend
In a Funk
« on: July 23, 2006, 06:26:02 PM »
My sister passed away unexpectedly March 29th, she was racked with auto-immune type disorders , thyroid disease , diabetes , lupus, still she was pretty active up to the day she died...

So I found myself in a funk this summer , since about April could not drag my dead ass off the couch , didn't want to get up in the morning , didn't want to work on some projects I had lined up , hell I didn't even want to go shooting. Thought maybe I was getting some backlash depression over my sisters death and I also have thyroid disease, went to the doc in May , told him my woes , also had a lot of pain flareups in what are normally just nagging but livable aches , carpal tunnel , my back was hurting way more than usual (disk), my knees were aching.

Doc says all those can be caused by depression , I should start an anti-depressant but he would also check my thyroid levels "and a few other things". So I went away thinking I was having a depressive bout and took my pills like a good boy , they helped a little but you pay a price in side effects. So in early July the docs office calls as says they need to see me.

One of the tests he ran was methylmelonic acid which came back high, ok so what does this mean for me I asked ?? Turns out I have a B12 deficiency , pernicious anemia , gonna need B12 shots every two weeks for 8 weeks then 1 a month for life. Just got my second shot , holy cow !!! I wasn't depressed , I just needed some "juice" shot in my arm !  Thank God , those side effects of ADs are hard to swallow.

So I'm back , and I have a little zip in my dooh dah again Cheesy.

Ray
Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

P95Carry

In a Funk
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 06:44:47 PM »
So I'm back , and I have a little zip in my dooh dah again
And very glad to hear it old buddy. Smiley

Not a good few months at all it seems - now we just have to find some time when you have some vacation to go spew some lead downrange!  

Be in touch soon.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

In a Funk
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 01:06:38 PM »
Don't rule out your thyroid completely. I've never been depressed in my life until last year when my thyroid quit. I would spend hours sobbing for no reason at all. I swear I was ready to throw myself under a train.

That lasted a month or two..it was 5 or 6 months before I really felt physically much better and probably the better part of this year since I can say I have as much energy as I used to.

Thank goodness thats over. Now I'm back to yelling at people again. Much better!

Hope you get feeling better soon.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
In a Funk
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 01:30:41 PM »
caseydog, I'm sorry about your sister.

But I'm glad that the doc's found a physical problem that can be treated. Going through life dealing with depression is, well, depressing in and of itself.

caseydog

• friend
In a Funk
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 05:30:13 PM »
Thanks guys , Chris I'll see ya soon buddy , we WILL expend some lead.

Barb my thyroid quit about 24 years ago when I swallowed 3 doses of radioactive Iodine in 3 years to kill it cause it had gone rampant. The ensuing fall was enough to cause some serious depression and I took AD medication back then until things got all balanced out and a few times since when the thyroid got askew, I know what your saying but this one was somehow different , anyway the thyroid numbers came back good this time. I get thyroid tests about 3 times a year because even after all the radiation mine still has some natural function and it fluctuates.

Dick , thanks for the condolances , and dealing with depression is depressing , thankfully my bouts have been few and far between and pretty much related to my thyroid , so we could see a blood test for why I felt like I did , which helps a little in itself. It's a relief that what they found now is easily treatable and that is somewhat mood brightening knowing that there is an answer for why I felt so horrible this time.

Anyway since my first B12 shot I got off my dead ass and painted the truck I picked up over the winter:

Thanks,
Ray
Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
In a Funk
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 12:54:00 AM »
That's a mighty fine looking paint job! Good to hear your back on track.

Barb, sounds like you're just not happy unless you're yelling at someone. Tongue

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

In a Funk
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 01:11:15 AM »
280plus: Well, you know..if you have a gift and you don't use it. Smiley

I'm glad things are better caseydog. Nice looking truck.

280plus

• friend
In a Funk
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 01:13:43 AM »
Yes, we wouldn't want such talent to go to waste. shocked

Cheesy

In a Funk
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 01:42:02 AM »
'zackly!

Antibubba

• friend
In a Funk
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 03:31:39 AM »
Can you get another shot and paint mine too?  Cheesy
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

280plus

• friend
In a Funk
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 03:33:03 AM »
Yea, now that yiou mention it I have a certain 1990 E-150 that could use a little help too. Cheesy

P95Carry

In a Funk
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 02:52:24 PM »
That's enough talk about painting vehicles - his next mission is to join me for some lead athletics Wink
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

280plus

• friend
In a Funk
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 02:59:08 PM »
Talked me into it, where we meeting up at?

Cheesy