Author Topic: Reindeer thrive in warmer world  (Read 919 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Reindeer thrive in warmer world
« on: July 23, 2006, 06:39:57 PM »
Global warming isn't all bad, unless of course it's 110 degrees F and you lose your power for a week.

Nicola Smith, Brussels
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0%2C%2C2763-2281368%2C00.html

SHORTER winters, longer summers and a slight rise in temperature in northernmost Europe are proving a boon for arctic wildlife, agriculture and tourism.

In spite of dire warnings about climate change, the most northerly reaches of Scandinavia are basking in good news: reindeer are growing stronger and the salmon larger. New possibilities are opening up for tourism trade and even for wine-makers.

In Rovaniemi, Father Christmass Lapland home in northern Finland, reindeer are putting on weight. Jan-Eric Paadar, a herdsmans son in the northerly Inari region, said recent shorter winters meant Finlands 200,000 reindeer had longer to graze on grass and lichen. Its easier to find food when the winter comes later and later all the time, he said.

The same applies to Norway, where the government reindeer department has reported four bumper grazing years. They are in good condition. Last year there was a very good market for reindeer meat, said Christian Lindman, a spokesman.

Salmon farmers are also benefiting. At Volden, a family-run salmon and trout producer in the coastal town of Alta, an employee said higher water temperatures made fish eat more and grow faster.

Professor Eystein Jansen, of the Bjerknes centre for climate research in Bergen, said changes in the North Sea ecosystem were among the clearest signs of climate change.

Norwegian fishermen can now net bigger cod and herring catches as both species migrate further north. An increase of 1C had made Norways waters the optimal temperature, the professor said.

According to Inger Hansson-Bauer, of the Norwegian Meteorological Institute, farming patterns are also changing because of a rise in spring temperatures of 1.5C in the past century.

There is a very clear tendency for spring to come earlier and autumns to be warmer, she said. In some areas there is a positive effect for farming. Where there was just one hay harvest, they can now harvest twice.

As holidaymakers swelter in the south, northern Europes tourist industry is set to gain. Norways holiday home market is booming, with good coastal properties fetching £500,000 to £1m each.

Watersports are also drawing more followers. In Finland, there are 10,000 windsurfers and 1,000 more take it up every year. Pasi Rahikka, the manager of the Surf.fi windsurfing company, said climate change was making a difference.

The summer seems to last a month longer than five or 10 years ago, he said.

Richard Bisgrove, a plant scientist at the University of Reading and author of a well-regarded report on climate change, agreed that tourism would extend north with the onset of climate change.

Im in my early sixties and maybe when I retire I will go further north rather than south, he said.

Denmark is already nurturing a wine industry. Although still in its infancy, it exported wine to France last year.

Warm temperatures and long summers are helping us to mature the grapes, said Jens Michael Gundersen of the Danish Wine Association.

Experts warn that while looking at the advantages of climate change is refreshing, the damage will far outweigh the benefits overall. There will be gainers in this but the cost on a worldwide basis will be astronomical, said Bisgrove.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 08:44:10 PM »
If the Gulf Stream were to stop flowing properly, how would it affect those far-northern countries?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 01:10:07 AM »
I'd like to see a few reports from the Southern Hemisphere. Is the same thing occuring down there?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 02:16:22 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
I'd like to see a few reports from the Southern Hemisphere. Is the same thing occuring down there?
Nope.  The reindeer of Tierra del Fuego are still pretty few & far between.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 02:58:26 AM »
LOL...I'll bet they are. There must be SOME species down there benefitting from all this warming that's going on. I'm just curious if we're seeing the same trends "down under".
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 07:06:28 AM »
Down under?  I read within the last few days that one area not far from the east coast of Australia had received a light rain:  The first in five years.  The rate of water use, including irrigation, is making it likely that either a very large desalination plant will be built for Perth, or the city will have to be abandoned within some ten years.

As the earth warms, the oceans warm.  Warmer waters mean higher-intensity storms.  Katrina- and Rita-sized storms would become more of a norm.

If the melting of the polar ice caps continues at its present rate, the timing/llocation of the "bend" of the Gulf Stream could occur further to the south.  That, in turn, would make Nova Scotia colder; it would also make the British Isles much less habitable.  I don't know enough about it to speak to what would happen in Scandinavia, but I doubt it would be helpful.

Sure, warming means longer growing seasons.  The problem there is that if rainfall patterns change--as is likely--agricultural regions could go to a drier condition.  And then?

But, hey!  when you're booked on the Titanic, why go steerage?

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.