Author Topic: My first 1911  (Read 665 times)

Chris

My first 1911
« on: July 24, 2006, 11:32:55 AM »
Folks, after almost 20 years of shooting, I just put my hands on my first 1911A1.  My Army time was just after the Beretta was adopted, so I never knew the pleasure/pain of the old war horse.  but, after years of reading about them, first in the gun rags, and no on the gun sites, I picked up one.  I traded a Sig Sauer 239 9mm (which had been spending all of its time in my safe) for a Sprigfield Armory MilSpec full-sized 1911A1.  It's lightly used, but appears to be in excellent condition.  It now sports wood grips with hex head stainless screws, a Shooting Star 8 round mag, and a Wilson stainless 7 round mag, both with base pads.  Also contained in the package was a Wolff 18.5 lb recoil spring, another base pad, another spring (yet to be identified), 100 rounds of ball, and 20 rounds of Gold Dot.  In handling it, I'm immediately thinking of a beavertail grip safety for comfort, a loop/Commander hammer for aesthetics, and Novak or some other lower profile sights.  When money is available, maybe some tuning, a bigger thumb safety lever, and a new finish (I love the two-tone look).

First, anyone have any advice on the care and feeding of the new toy?

Second, should I be able to afford the work, who do you all recommend?

Three, any modifications you consider "must have"?

Four, any other useful information for a 1911 newbie you consider essential?

Any and all information appreciated.

Chris

m1911owner

• friend
My first 1911
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 04:00:46 PM »
Step one: Field strip, and clean if necessary.  Reassemble.

Step two: Take to range.

Step three: Load mags with ball, Gold Dot, whatever.

Step four:  Gobang!

If it doesn't feed, consider feed modifications.  If it bites you, consider revised grip safety, hammer, etc.

Otherwise, have fun shooting!

Bob F.

• friend
My first 1911
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 05:05:40 PM »
As above! Shoot hell out of it! Mods you list would make it right, if you need 'em!

One word of caution: When stripping it, don't let the recoil spring get loose, To put it another way, drape a full sized bed sheet over you and the 1911!

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Art Eatman

• friend
My first 1911
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 05:21:14 AM »
Aw, Ol' Slabsides is easy to feed and keep groomed.  If the hammer bites the web between your thumb and trigger finger, yeah, add the beavertail.  These new ones with the lump that makes it easier to push down the grip safety are the way to go.

If you're gonna change to the Commander- or Browning-style hammer, do that at the same time as doing the grip safety, so everything fits properly.  The hammer and sear need to be matched up at this time.

I personally like the original Colt, flat-type extended grip safety, but that's just because of the size of my hands.  It's not a big deal.

About all I've ever done, mostly, is to polish the feed ramp and the inside of the chamber.  Polish, not remove any amount of metal.  Trigger improvement is easy, if you have Hallock's book and some very-fine Arkansas stones.

My preference is the MMC Combat style of sights, but again that's no big deal.  There are other good sights.  

If you load for it, 5.8 grains of 231 with a 200-grain SWC works well.  That was my load for Major power factor back in my IPSC daze.  Buy a Lewis lead remover. Smiley

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.