Author Topic: The fish STRIKE BACK!!  (Read 1301 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
The fish STRIKE BACK!!
« on: July 24, 2006, 11:42:39 AM »
Could it be related to global warming? Tongue

HAMILTON, Bermuda (AP) -- A fisherman was recovering from surgery after he was speared in the chest and knocked into the Atlantic Ocean by a blue marlin during a fishing competition off Bermuda's coast.

Ian Card, 32, was in stable condition at King Edward VII Hospital in the British Island territory from a wound that his doctor said could have been fatal.

"He was very lucky," said Dr. Christian Wilmsmeier. "It was a very serious injury."

Card and his father, Alan, both operators of a charter fishing boat and experienced marlin fishermen, had just hooked the fish Saturday when it suddenly leapt out of the water, impaled Ian Card just below his collar bone and knocked him into the ocean.

"The fish all of a sudden changed direction and jumped. The fish made a leap and Ian just happened to be in the way," Alan Card said.

The younger fisherman managed to struggle free while his father cut the line and helped his son get back into their boat, the Challenger.

They managed to make it back to shore in about 40 minutes for emergency medical treatment.

The fishermen estimated the marlin at about 800 pounds (363 kilograms) and about 14 feet (4.3 meters) in length.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Preacherman

The fish STRIKE BACK!!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 11:45:52 AM »
Shows what a Marlin can do.  Now, if it had been a Winchester . . .

cheesy
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
The fish STRIKE BACK!!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 11:58:23 AM »
LMAO...  Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

client32

• friend
The fish STRIKE BACK!!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 12:00:34 PM »
I almost feel bad typing this, but here goes.

Which caliber for attack marlins?

Good story though.  Maybe the guys that go noodling [sp?] can try that when they get bored with the catfish.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
The fish STRIKE BACK!!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 12:50:02 PM »
Which caliber for attack marlins?
.450 Marlin.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
The fish STRIKE BACK!!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 12:58:34 PM »
The Animal Conspiracy advances!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

crt360

• friend
The fish STRIKE BACK!!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 01:26:48 PM »
That happened to some guy on the Brazos River years ago.  He was seining minnows and a big gar jumped the net, stuck him in the middle of the chest, and killed him.
For entertainment purposes only.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
The fish STRIKE BACK!!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 04:12:35 PM »
a buddy tournament fishes and wins the OC white marlin open

getting speared by a bill fish is a not uncommon ocurrence

he tells me its a really bad idea to stand over a minnow drop light at night
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"