Author Topic: Take this job and shove it!  (Read 1492 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Take this job and shove it!
« on: November 27, 2006, 04:32:11 PM »
I walked in and quit today
 grin
Alot of "oh *expletive deleted*it what did I do" but ultimately I know its the right call.  My job now is to make my wife's home business flourish and be home with my family, rather than stressed out and tired watching green blips trying to smack into things.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Take this job and shove it!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 04:38:13 PM »
So, does that mean that you're not moving to Virginia?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 04:45:19 PM »
So, does that mean that you're not moving to Virginia?

Not at all.  The move was always in our plans, we want out of Utah.  It'll actually give us an opportunity to grow her business outside of this area....and we'll travel here a few times a year for training and so I can fly fish  laugh
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 06:06:44 PM »
Sounds like you're living the American dream, jamisjockey.

Good luck to you and your wife!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 06:39:56 PM »
Congratulations!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 03:45:51 AM »
Green blips trying to smack into things?
Sounds like watching football on the Atari or something.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 04:19:14 AM »
Green blips trying to smack into things?
Sounds like watching football on the Atari or something.

Nah, just Terminal Radar Approach Control....Radar ATC stuff....
JD

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 05:05:41 AM »
Jamis-

You didn't happen to work in the Bay Area during the late '90's, did you? If so, my apologies for any stress I caused you. grin
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 05:21:42 AM »
Jamis-

You didn't happen to work in the Bay Area during the late '90's, did you? If so, my apologies for any stress I caused you. grin

Nyet!  MCAS Yuma ATCT (Tower) from '92-'97
KBRO (Brownsville Int'l ATCT) from '97-99
BPT (Beaumont, TX RACT-Radar Approach Control and Tower) from '99-'01
S56 (Salt Lake City TRACON-Terminal Radar Approach Control) from '01-yesterday.....
JD

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 05:30:14 AM »
Hah, good luck. You reminded my of the old CW singer I used to know who quit her job by inviting the bigwigs to a show and dedicating "Take This Job and Shove It" to them as they sat in the audience. They all got up and stomped out of there about half way through.  laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 05:54:15 AM »
Man, I just flew in/out of the SLT hub over the weekend.

There was a frustrated guy directing my plane?  SCARY.  Smiley
Zeke

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 06:00:11 AM »
Man, I just flew in/out of the SLT hub over the weekend.

There was a frustrated guy directing my plane?  SCARY.  Smiley

I regret to inform you they're all frustrated right now
http://www.faafollies.com
http://www.natca.com/
Press Releases

CRUEL IRONY: FAA TO FORCE IMPOSED WORK RULES ON CONTROLLERS ON LABOR DAY WEEKEND; REST, STAFFING, MORALE, WAGES TO SUFFER

09/01/2006

WASHINGTON  The Federal Aviation Administration plans to celebrate Labor Day weekend by unilaterally imposing work rules and conditions on its air traffic controller workforce in a brazen, arrogant trampling of the collective bargaining process that promises to have negative impacts on the safety and efficiency of the National Airspace System.

Its like getting fired on Christmas. Its the worst, punch-in-the-gut blow to the morale of this workforce imaginable, said National Air Traffic Controllers Association President Pat Forrey. But our position is very simple: We do not consider the imposed work rules to be valid because they were not negotiated and have not been ratified by the NATCA membership.

The agency told NATCA several weeks ago that it would impose work rules and conditions on Sept. 3 and then spent untold millions of taxpayer dollars to send every manager in its ranks to St. Louis last week for training on what and how to impose. However, a NATCA review of the imposed work rules reveals that the agency has parted from what it told Congress it was going to implement after walking away from talks in early April, declaring impasse.

There are several key parts of the imposed work rules that have real and potentially dangerous consequences for the safety and efficiency of the air traffic control system:

n       Pay freezes and cuts for veteran controllers means the removal of a financial incentive to continue working past their retirement eligibility date. One in four controllers nationwide will reach their eligibility date before the end of next year. The FAA, which underestimated its controller retirement forecast to Congress in 2005 by 36 percent, is not prepared for an anticipated spike in retirements due to the imposed work rules that will exacerbate a nationwide controller shortage thats already reached seven percent since 2003.

n       A 30 percent average wage cut for new controllers will make it harder for the FAA to recruit and hire its much-needed next generation.

n       Under Article 25, Section 3 of the imposed work rules, sick leave cannot be granted for rest. That means that if a controller does not feel adequately rested to assume their duties, they will be forced to work anyway.

n       Under Article 33, Section 1 of the imposed work rules, the FAA is eliminating one of the most basic controller work rules that has ensured an adequate margin of safety for decades  taking a break after no more than two hours on position. Now, the FAA has declared that overworking its controllers ignoring longstanding practices to combat fatigue is its management right.

NATCA believes that the implementation of the FAA-imposed work rules violates federal statute and our current collective bargaining agreement (first signed in 1998 and extended by FAA Administrator Marion Blakey in 2003), as these work rules were neither agreed to by the parties nor ratified by the NATCA membership.

Since the imposed work rules do not constitute an agreement or contract, it would be in both parties best interests to negotiate a ratifiable agreement, Forrey said. We will continue to pursue any and all legislative and legal avenues for relief.

JD

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 06:05:32 AM »
So, did you put in your notice or did you just walk in, say, "I quit", and walk out?
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 06:17:02 AM »
So, did you put in your notice or did you just walk in, say, "I quit", and walk out?
I walked in and quit.  No requirement to give notice that I could find in the OPM manuals.  Also, I was nervous that if I gave notice I'd be targeted by management as a security risk, which would ruin any future chance of gubm'nt reemployment.
JD

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 03:37:59 PM »
KBRO?!!

I'm sooo sorry you had to be there.  Was Southwind Aviation still flying those Trauma-hawks around?

How about the C206 loaded full of electronics departing 17, and just clearing the trees, headed south-of-the-border?

Glad you made it out of there, although BPT isn't much of a step up.  grin

Congrats on your quitting.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 04:58:20 PM »
KBRO?!!

I'm sooo sorry you had to be there.  Was Southwind Aviation still flying those Trauma-hawks around?

How about the C206 loaded full of electronics departing 17, and just clearing the trees, headed south-of-the-border?

Glad you made it out of there, although BPT isn't much of a step up.  grin

Congrats on your quitting.

BRO was an entertaining place......I watched one of the smugglers auger in on the approach end of 17....not enough gas on the return trip....ran out over the fence....and many many other nutty things there....
Yea I was there when Southwind went out of business.  We went from 1000 operations a day to about 200. 
JD

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 10:57:42 AM »
I used to work at Southwind... from '93-'95 IIRC.

Had a lot of fun at SPI, but Brownsville was not a place for me to make a home.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 11:04:10 AM »
I used to work at Southwind... from '93-'95 IIRC.

Had a lot of fun at SPI, but Brownsville was not a place for me to make a home.

Exactly the same boat we were in.  I was there just after you, in 97-99.
JD