Author Topic: Glue in the carpet....  (Read 1064 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Glue in the carpet....
« on: November 29, 2006, 07:09:13 AM »
....so there was in incident with the oven and a couple glue traps.....don't ask
 rolleyes
But now there is glue in the carpet.  Nice nasty sticky spots.   Ideas for removing it from the carpet without trashing the carpet?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Glue in the carpet....
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 07:15:57 AM »
You need a product called Goof Off.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 07:21:11 AM »
You need a product called Goof Off.

Is it pretty commonly available?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 07:26:31 AM »
goof off rocks, I think it is basically concentrated orange oil.

so does naphtha lighter fluid, but check for color fastness on a inconspicuous spot. Also I am not responsible if you set fire to your carpet
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 07:33:53 AM »
I guess so.  I've used it at places where I've worked here in the Saint Louis area, but I've never gone looking for it.  My guess is your local hardware store will have it.  You could also look at its main ingredients and get something similar.  It contains xylene, ethyl benzene and something called toulene.  More info:  http://www.valspar.com/val/resident/goof-off.jsp  You can also download a Material Safety Data Sheet from their site, to see what it's made of. 

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 07:45:48 AM »
Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot all sell it.

Experiment with a chemist!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 08:05:44 AM »
xylene, ethyl benzene and something called toulene.
EEEKKK!!!  It may get the glue out (all those items are solvents), but be sure the room is well ventilated.  Toluene is flammable, metabolites are carcinogenic.  Also, intoxication from the stuff is NOT pleasant, despite what the paint huffer may tell you.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 08:59:25 AM »
Or you can go to your local 7-11 and get a bottle of Ronsonol lighter fluid.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 09:28:13 AM »
xylene, ethyl benzene and something called toulene.
EEEKKK!!!  It may get the glue out (all those items are solvents), but be sure the room is well ventilated.  Toluene is flammable, metabolites are carcinogenic.  Also, intoxication from the stuff is NOT pleasant, despite what the paint huffer may tell you.

I have to disagree with you there Sindawe.  When I was the Divelocker NCOIC (poorly vented locker, converted head), I would sit in there repairing drysuits and the fumes often got a little thick and I never noticed a... oh, look at the little birdies grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

thumbody

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 09:46:34 AM »
Another product I have tried for glue is called De-Solv-It. It is made from citrus oils  Vitamin E, Aloe Vera and organic wetting agents(whatever they are). I haven't tried it on carpet but it really works to remove Linoleum glue from hands and tools
I'm OK it's the rest of the world that's messed up

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 09:53:11 AM »
Just be careful. Some spot removers have oils in them that can stain. I think De-Solv-It and GooGone both do. Energine, lighter fluid, Coleman fuel, and good old charcoal starter are purified naptha and have no oils. They stink to high heaven but will clean without spotting. They will, however, remove some coloring agents or dyes. They will definitely remove paint, laquer, and some protective plastic coatings.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 10:00:33 AM »
I'm remodeling my bedroom, and we just pulled up the old, cheap carpet to reveal a lovely hardwood floor - except that somebody was painting in there without a drop cloth.   angry   Any ideas what to use for that?  I'm going to try the Goof Off somewhere out of the way, but I'm afraid it will do mean things to the finish. 

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 10:04:45 AM »
If you're very lucky the finish on the floor will be oil-based and the paint will be latex-based. If so, it will peel right off. If not, well, there's a sander in your future...

Brad
-HankB