Author Topic: Inexpensive video editing software  (Read 681 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Inexpensive video editing software
« on: November 29, 2006, 11:58:26 AM »
I need some software to do some basic video editing (sound, rotate picture, edit length of video clip, maybe rudimentary adjustment of color and balance) and would like it to be inexpensive, say $20-$25 dollars. File types I will be using are .wmv, and .mov (Quicktime).

What do you recommend?
Andy

Marnoot

• friend
Re: Inexpensive video editing software
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 12:05:55 PM »
Hard to beat Microsoft's Movie Maker 2 for price (free). You can download it via Windows Update. I'm not 100% sure it'll handle/import .mov files though, you might need another program for that.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 12:19:05 PM »
Hard to beat Microsoft's Movie Maker 2 for price (free). You can download it via Windows Update. I'm not 100% sure it'll handle/import .mov files though, you might need another program for that.

Yup, you do. I already have Movie Maker, at least I need to be able to convert the .mov files to .wmv. So right now Movie Maker's worthless to me, because most of the files I'm working with are .mov.
Andy

Hazzard

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 02:25:46 PM »
I have no experience with this software, but found it with google pretty quickly. It's freeware.

http://www.bluechillies.com/details/38727.html

Says it will convert .mov to .wmv. Hope it helps.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 02:33:44 PM »
You might check out Majorgeeks.com. They have a lot of free software and shareware for download so you could try out programs till you find what you need.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Chuck Dye

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 02:57:07 PM »
Check the downloads section of the Kim Komando web site www.komando.com

http://www.komando.com/downloads/categories.aspx?cat=Pictures%20and%20Video

Komando has a call in radio show that runs live from 0700-1000 Pacific time.  If you can crack the busy signal over the next 2 or 3 weeks and have your question deemed worthy by the call screener, you will be given a serious gift for your troubles, generally a solution to your question worth several hundred dollars.  Good luck!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 05:27:08 PM »
compared to QT, wmv is a vastly inferior movie file.

i would look at Premiere elements
http://www.adobe.com/products/premiereel/
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

caseydog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 06:41:13 PM »
Do your edits with Windows Movie Maker (provided you have XP) and then recode it into whatever wrapper you want with Super.  Both free  grin, hows that for low cost ? Super is just a transcoder , no editing capabilities at all.

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Ray
Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 07:53:51 PM »
Thanks for the help. I found a transcoder, converted the files, and got them edited. For free!  grin

Thanks again.
Andy

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 08:33:05 PM »
I've used SUPER before, and while I prefer ditching the front end and just using ffmpeg myself, it does a nice, quick job.