Author Topic: A perspective on the Revolutionary generation  (Read 3760 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: A perspective on the Revolutionary generation
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2010, 09:50:22 AM »
Did they send prison ships to the Americas? Because 3/4 of my lineage likely came over on one of those.

I don't think so. Georgia was supposed to be a refuge for debtors and other poor people, but it didn't quite work out that way.

http://www.loc.gov/teachers/classroommaterials/presentationsandactivities/presentations/timeline/colonial/georgia/georgia.html
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 02:29:49 AM »
lots of indentured servants, probably lots of folks on the run but no prison ships ( afaik )
like Botany Bay.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 11:29:23 AM »
lots of indentured servants, probably lots of folks on the run but no prison ships ( afaik )
like Botany Bay.

Lots of Highlanders forcibly exported after the Jacobite rebellions, and during the Clearances later.  Some of those went to slave labor on tobacco farms in the Carolinas.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010, 01:33:49 AM »
really!! I had no idea, are you sure they were not indentured servants?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2010, 09:46:58 AM »
Google "white slavery" etc
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2010, 11:40:11 AM »
Also, ever read Stevenson's Kidnapped! ?