Author Topic: Had the wife watch Bubba Ho-Tep  (Read 3760 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Had the wife watch Bubba Ho-Tep
« on: April 24, 2011, 05:25:50 PM »
Because she has led a reasonably sheltered life, yet loves horror/thriller movies I got Bubba Ho-Tep from netflix so she could bask in its goodness.

Surprisingly, she sat through the whole thing and didn't even make any disparaging comments after. Unlike whenever that travesty of Naval Aviation, Top Gun, comes on and she wants to watch it. I am pretty vocal during that one. ;)

Now on to others.  =D

bob

dogmush

• friend
Re: Had the wife watch Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 05:35:23 PM »
My Name is Bruce

This made me chuckle. Definitely more comedy then thriller/horror, but the same could be said of Army of Darkness.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 11:33:12 PM »
During the 1970s, when Elvis Presley (Bruce Campbell) grew tired of the demands of his fame, he switched places with an Elvis impersonator named Sebastian Haff (also Campbell). It was Haff who eventually died in 1977, while the real Elvis lived in quiet, happy anonymity and made a living pretending to be himself. After a propane explosion destroyed documentation which was the only proof that he was actually Elvis, he was unable to return to his old lifestyle.

A hip injury during a performance causes him to get an infection and slip into a coma. Twenty years later, in an East Texas nursing home as the film opens, he is contemplating his age, frailty, loss of dignity, impotence, and "A growth on [his] p-----r". Elvis's only friend is a black man named Jack (Ossie Davis) who insists he is President John F. Kennedy, claiming to have been dyed black after the assassination, and abandoned by Lyndon Johnson in a nursing home. The truth behind his identity remains unclear, but Elvis does spot a mysterious scar on the back of Jack's head. It could be from the head wound seen in the Zapruder film, but then it might not be.

You know, your wife may make you sit through Yentle. [barf]
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 11:34:30 PM »
You know, your wife may make you sit through Yentle. [barf]

That might be considered an act of aggression in some cultures.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 10:54:12 AM »
Bubba Ho-Tep is Teh Win.  Not quite a comedy, not quite a horror flick, but still a darn good movie and deliciously off-center in a way that only Don Coscarelli can successfully pull off.  Ossie Davis as a mental patient who thinks he's JFK?  Only Coscarelli could come up with that, and Davis is obviously having a ton of fun with the character.  It shows.

But the crowning achievement of the movie is Bruce Campbell who, quite simply, is Elvis.  Even without Coscarelli's off-kilter sensabilities, Campbell's protrayal of a broken down, failing, might-as-well-give-up-and-die Presley is spot on.

Even more impressive is that the movie was made on a shoe-string budget.  Watch the behind-the-scenes for more, but Coscarelli did some mighty creative things using darn near nothing in terms of resources and ended up with a great result.  That includes Brian Tyler's truly inspired musical score.  Using little more than an old school tremelo-heavy guitar and a lot of imagination, Tyler came up with a score that perfectly evokes the feel of the movie.  I have the album.

For those of you who've never seen the movie, watch it.  And I mean really WATCH it.  This is not your typical popcorn flick.  You need to pay attention.  You'll enjoy it tons more.  But don't watch it as a comedy or horror film.  Watch it from the standpoint of a retrospective.  What would happen if Elvis really had lived and was a bedridden old man with nothing left to live for?  Sure, it's got mummies and is done with a comedic flair, but that's just icing on the cake for Campbell and Davis' stellar performances and Coscarelli's slightly twisted cinematic flair.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 09:18:15 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 11:34:01 AM »
I was fortunate enough to see a screening of My Name Is Bruce with the Man Himself in Hartford.  He is a hoot to talk to, especially when fielding questions from an audience of fans.

The Man With The Screaming Brain is another great one.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 12:21:54 PM »
The man is capable of salvaging a SyFy original film, making it moderately watchable by charisma alone. 'Nuff said.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 07:08:30 PM »
You know, your wife may make you sit through Yentle.

She has made me take her to a Yanni concert, she can't do any worse than that!  ;)

The man is capable of salvaging a SyFy original film, making it moderately watchable by charisma alone. 'Nuff said.

So, you must have seen the movie with the bug overlords also.  =D

bob

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 07:35:21 PM »
Yup. Alien Apocalypse. Extraterrestrial termites. =D

"Think Spartacus with aliens." -BC         
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

PTK

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 07:37:30 PM »
I didn't know of this movie. It's on my list, now. =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 09:57:23 PM »
Another thumbs-up for Bubba Hotep.

Fantastic movie.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 07:59:18 PM »
I'm not even an Elvis or Bruce Campbell fan--per se, I have nothing against their work, but don't go out of my way to pursue anything BC or Elvis-related--and I own Bubba Ho-Tep.  Easily in my top ten favorite movies ever.  Ever.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 12:06:24 AM »
I'm not even an Elvis or Bruce Campbell fan--per se, I have nothing against their work, but don't go out of my way to pursue anything BC or Elvis-related--and I own Bubba Ho-Tep.  Easily in my top ten favorite movies ever.  Ever=)

I hope so .... just ordered the DVD from an internet site.  [popcorn] =)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 10:40:44 PM »
Watching it now on NetFlix DVD!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!