Author Topic: The sky is falling - again?  (Read 3766 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
The sky is falling - again?
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:25:06 AM »
We're all gonna die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ELEVENTY!!!

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/07/chicken-vaccines-combine-to-prod.html?ref=hp

Vaccines aren't supposed to cause disease. But that appears to be what's happening on Australian farms. Scientists have found that two virus strains used to vaccinate chickens there may have recombined to form a virus that is sickening and killing the animals. "This shows that recombination of such strains can happen and people need to think about it," says Glenn Browning, a veterinary microbiologist at the University of Melbourne, Parkville, in Australia and one of the co-authors on the paper.

Most disappointing is that the scientists do not address at all the question of whether or not deep-fat frying kills these virii.  Someone ought to apply for a grant to go to Australia and do the research.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: The sky is falling - again?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:07:01 AM »
Will this discovery lead to the creation of "The Blob?" -- and what will we do without Steve McQueen to end its destruction and mayhem?   [tinfoil] [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 11:46:18 AM »
Sounds like they need a another virus to innoculate the chickens against this one. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 11:58:23 AM »
It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 12:31:01 PM »
Holy crap! Ya'll are totally missing the best part! We have a brilliant movie on our hands here!
What happens when you cross The Birds with Dawn of the Dead?

Zombie Chickens!!  :O

[popcorn]
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 01:16:38 PM »
And since they are starting in Oz, won't they need sharks with lasers in their heads to ride across the ocean?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 02:17:04 PM »
Holy crap! Ya'll are totally missing the best part! We have a brilliant movie on our hands here!
What happens when you cross The Birds with Dawn of the Dead?

Zombie Chickens!!  :O

[popcorn]

Fast or slow zombie chickens?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 03:26:06 PM »
Zombies or not, chickens are hard to catch. On Diego Garcia, the Brits would have one day a year they would let people catch and kill their subjects, the chickens. They were basically feral chickens, if there is such a thing, and very hard to catch. They Filipino workers there were pretty good at catching the things, the sailors, not so good. No weapons were allowed to be used, I would assume in the case of a zombie chicken invasion, shotguns would be the order of the day.  ;)

bob

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 05:28:44 PM »
Will this discovery lead to the creation of "The Blob?" -- and what will we do without Steve McQueen to end its destruction and mayhem?   [tinfoil] [popcorn]

Kurt Russell is still alive....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 05:43:35 PM »
Zombies or not, chickens are hard to catch. On Diego Garcia, the Brits would have one day a year they would let people catch and kill their subjects, the chickens. They were basically feral chickens, if there is such a thing, and very hard to catch. They Filipino workers there were pretty good at catching the things, the sailors, not so good. No weapons were allowed to be used, I would assume in the case of a zombie chicken invasion, shotguns would be the order of the day.  ;)

bob

How about a wire coathanger?  
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 05:52:29 PM »

Fortunately, some of us remember the movie. We'll just break out the CO2 fire extinguishers and chill out the blob.

Of course, the final solution of dumping it at the north pole won't be effective because, as we are informed daily, thanks to GLOBAL WARMING! the poles are going to melt in 7 months, 23 days, 4 hours and 17 seconds anyway, whereupon the blob will be free to blob its way back amongst us.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 05:54:47 PM »
Kurt Russell is still alive....

But hardly likely to pass (successfully) as a teen-ager.

Justin Beiber, action here? :barf:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 06:07:01 PM »
But hardly likely to pass (successfully) as a teen-ager.

Justin Beiber, action here? :barf:

Just mentioning that name loses you a man card. Especially doing so in a thread with so much awesome. Maybe you should lose two.... Pay up.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 12:55:31 AM »
How about a wire coathanger?  

Is nobody going to go for the obvious punchline?  (I am disappoint)
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 11:20:55 PM »
Vaccines aren't supposed to cause disease.

Actually, they kinda are.  =|

We should probably find the anti-vaccine web forums, and see how much fun they're having with this.  :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 12:12:12 AM »
Actually, they kinda are.  =|

We should probably find the anti-vaccine web forums, and see how much fun they're having with this.  :lol:

Probably not having a lot of fun, unless of course they can find out the vaccine causes autistic chickens!  =|

bob

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 07:57:05 AM »
Is nobody going to go for the obvious punchline?  (I am disappoint)

Not getting it. Give.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 08:08:21 AM »

(in case that pic doesn't display, it's from the "No wire hangers, EVER!" scene of Mommy Dearest)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 08:11:35 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."