Author Topic: Chances of a New AWB?  (Read 26151 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Chances of a New AWB?
« on: December 14, 2012, 04:49:56 PM »
I figured it would be better to start a discussion about it over here than talking about it in the original threads about the Sandy Hook shootings threads.

I mentioned I heard Obama say in his speech about the incident "We need to take meaningful action, regardless of politics" and I take that to mean an AWB redux. In an earlier press conference Jay Carny was asked if the Pres. still supported and AWB and he replied in the affirmative.

With the Senate being in control of the Democrats and the Repubs holding only a slim majority in the House, I think there are enough bliss ninny RINO's to pass such a bill. I don't know if the Repubs have the stones to filibuster it.

What say you?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Chances of a New AWB?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 04:52:10 PM »
I think the next incarnation will make the AWB look reasonable.
Micro stamping, national registry, no more new black and scary or normal capacity, and expect draconian mental health restrictions.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 04:54:04 PM »
Micro stamping, national registry, no more new black and scary or normal capacity, and expect draconian mental health restrictions.

...no grandfathering.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 04:55:38 PM »
...no grandfathering.

Would be the most draconian of all and wouldn't surprise me.  Glad I already have a .3030.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 04:59:04 PM »

...no grandfathering.

Both realistic points. I expect the next one to make the Clinton ban look like a Second Amendment support bill.

I suspect even my Mini-14 will not be safe.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 05:06:57 PM »

Mental health.

The ultimate end-run around individual rights.

Everyone knows crazy people can't have rights, and in my professional opinion I believe you're crazy.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 05:10:56 PM »
Mental health.

The ultimate end-run around individual rights.

Everyone knows crazy people can't have rights, and in my professional opinion I believe you're crazy.

Permission slips from mental health providers to buy guns?
JD

AZRedhawk44

• friends
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 05:17:13 PM »
They can pass what they want but there will be states  that absolutely will not go along with it. Unfortunately I do not live in one of those states. Of course I've thinking about moving....

Would Oklahoma be likely to resist? 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 05:19:19 PM »

Permission slips from mental health providers to buy guns?

Sure.  Why not?

I already have to prove I'm not a felon.

I can think up a whole laundry list of negatives to prove so that you can buy a gun.

While we're at it, why assume that anyone is sane enough to own a gun?  It should be pretty straightforward to enact a policy of "only law enforcement is professional sane enough" to own guns.

I'm completely confident that the government won't be able to screw this up.

I mean, what could possibly go wrong?
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 06:03:11 PM »
They can pass what they want but there will be states  that absolutely will not go along with it. Unfortunately I do not live in one of those states. Of course I've thinking about moving....

Would Oklahoma be likely to resist? 

As far as the state government goes I honestly don't know. OKC and Tulsa city government are probably already salivating at the thought of further restrictions on their citizens subjects.

As to "we the people" here in the sooner state I think the conversation I had down at the local auto parts store is typical. by 4:00pm the antis having already made the call for more gun control the "characters" were already worked up over it. Outraged about the senseless killing they were all of a mind about not being able to control batshite crazy or evil incarnate no matter what laws you passed.

Obama has already called for it before the bodies of the victims are cold, sorry POS with his crocodile tears
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 06:04:54 PM »
The chances of an AWB ban, or even outright confiscation of semi-autos after the events in CT. today?  I'd say almost certain.

eta: 'of semi-autos' to clarify my meaning
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:25:18 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 06:10:33 PM »
Both realistic points. I expect the next one to make the Clinton ban look like a Second Amendment support bill.

I suspect even my Mini-14 will not be safe.

There's a couple of little problems:  Article 1 Section 9 of the Constitution regarding ex post facto laws, the Takings Clause of the 5th Amendment, the several recent 2nd Amendment USSC cases that we won, and the US v Miller decision.
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 06:14:59 PM »
There's a couple of little problems:  Article 1 Section 9 of the Constitution regarding ex post facto laws, the Takings Clause of the 5th Amendment, the several recent 2nd Amendment USSC cases that we won, and the US v Miller decision.

The all powerful 'federal' government isn't going to suddenly start allowing the Constitution to get in its way of what it wants...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 06:18:18 PM »
The all powerful 'federal' government isn't going to suddenly start allowing the Constitution to get in its way of what it wants...

No, but the guns pointed righteously at them might make them take pause.
"It's good, though..."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 06:27:47 PM »
No, but the guns pointed righteously at them might make them take pause.
I would go so far to say that even in a full on confiscation, maybe one in 10,000 will actively resist.
JD

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 06:29:49 PM »
I would go so far to say that even in a full on confiscation, maybe one in 10,000 will actively resist.

With each successive case painted by the media as an anti-social whackjob who cared more about his/her GUNZZ than keeping people safe.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 06:31:54 PM »
With each successive case painted by the media as an anti-social whackjob who cared more about his/her GUNZZ than keeping people safe.

Or kept utterly quiet.
JD

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 06:39:14 PM »
Will another AWB be enacted?  Yep.

If/when confiscation starts, it'll be time for SWMBO to go visit one of her sisters.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 06:43:10 PM »
I've said for years that the Democrats learned their lesson in '94, and would never touch gun control again. I said that even with the election of Obama, they wouldn't touch that hot rail. Obama's re-election, though, threw all rational political thought right out the window. A president who can get re-elected after four years of the worst recession in decades, with 8% (actually much more) unemployment, deficits that defy the imagination, and who's far more corrupt than Nixon ever could dream of being, can push through an AW ban if he wants.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 06:45:41 PM »

Ex-post factor has already been obliterated and they'll just pay you the fair market (scrap metal content) value for your firearms. You know, kinda like with gold. "You have to give us your gold guns at the arbitrary price we set."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 06:54:31 PM »
An AWB is only one possible scenario, and IMO, will depend on how this is all spun by the media. We don't have all the facts yet, but so far what I've heard is one .223 rifle, two 9MM pistols, and "over 100 rounds fired". Among other things this could be:

1) A new AWB
2) Magazine restrictions
3) Ammunition restrictions (type, quantity, paperwork)

If we find that most of the shooting was done with the pistols, or that he reloaded magazines, or that he had "X' amount of ammunition on him or nearby or at his home, any of these could trump an AWB as a possible scenario if the media spins them up.

Personally I am, and have been since the Colorado thing, much more worried about ammunition restrictions or monitoring. Think of all the people that consider 100 rounds of ammunition to be a crazy big quantity.  Restricting or reporting even a few hundred rounds of ammo would be an easy sell to the average American. I wouldn't be surprised to see paperwork for ANY amount of ammo get passed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 07:02:18 PM »

Reports seem to indicate the .223 rifle was in the vehicle, not on his person.

Seems what he actually carried in was the two pistols.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 08:46:28 PM »

... but if each of them can make 600 yard headshots on a cold bore, and can E&E the scene afterwards and plan another operation, how many whackjobs does it take to send 546 effective rounds downrange?... :angel:

Purely from a hypothetical angle, mind you.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 08:50:36 PM »
... but if each of them can make 600 yard headshots on a cold bore, and can E&E the scene afterwards and plan another operation, how many whackjobs does it take to send 546 effective rounds downrange?... :angel:

Purely from a hypothetical angle, mind you.

;/

Sure, whatever.
JD