Author Topic: Chances of a New AWB?  (Read 26153 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Chances of a New AWB?
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 08:51:25 PM »
... but if each of them can make 600 yard headshots on a cold bore, and can E&E the scene afterwards and plan another operation, how many whackjobs does it take to send 546 effective rounds downrange?... :angel:

Purely from a hypothetical angle, mind you.

WTF?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 08:54:57 PM »
Give it some time.  Things heal.  The AWB will likely be pushed again including closing the "gunshow loophole", but I don't see passage to be easy or a sure thing.  Some rationality will finally be brought into the discussion about cause and effect versus doing something "because it's right" like tax the 200K plus folks.  Everyone will be paying higher taxes, count on it.

I do believe that there will be a run on EBRs now where as I didn't think that was likely to happen.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 09:02:45 PM »
There aren't very many undecideds on the gun issue.

To push public opinion into accepting a reversal of course will take more than this event.

Short of a series of false flag espionage type events similar to this one I don't see much changing.   [tinfoil]

Us gun owners may have to be less strident in public about the progress we've made on the legal front and offer an alternative narrative (like the truth) to counteract the media blitz.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 10:36:43 PM »
Hasn't the "gun culture" come a long way since 1994? How many more "assault weapons" are in private hands now, compared to 18 years ago?

And if such bills can pass, what will post-Heller courts do with them?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 10:52:28 PM »
After reading and listening to more and more about this shooting, and demands to "do something", I'm coming to the conclusion that if this shooting doesn't get big new anti-gun bill (AW's, ammo, whatever), then nothing will.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2012, 10:55:37 PM »
The chances of an AWB ban, or even outright confiscation after the events in CT. today?  I'd say almost certain.

I have noted the "the media" continue to mention that the shooter "was armed" with a .223 caliner AR-15 rifle ... even after the Connecticut State Police revealed that the AR-15 was recovered from the car he drove to the school. It was not used at all.

BUT IT'S STILL EEEEEEEEVUHL!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 11:04:20 PM »
The guns were reportedly owned by the mother.  Not, not to sound sexist, but how many women do you know who own a Glock, a SIG, and an M4?  Something odd here...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 11:10:01 PM »
Not, not to sound sexist, but how many women do you know who own a Glock, a SIG, and an M4? 

None right now, but I'd like to... >:D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 11:11:24 PM »
The guns were reportedly owned by the mother.  Not, not to sound sexist, but how many women do you know who own a Glock, a SIG, and an M4?  Something odd here...

This is all still quite recent. Do we know they were hers? Could they have belonged to one of the sons, or the father?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2012, 11:18:37 PM »
I know a few single women that own most of those and then some.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 12:00:46 AM »

You're falling into the same trap the anti's do. Don't.

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

zahc

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2012, 01:43:32 AM »
RE: guns being owned by the mother

Straw purchase?

Just another thing for the media to latch onto, so I hope not.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2012, 02:17:10 AM »
This is all still quite recent. Do we know they were hers? Could they have belonged to one of the sons, or the father?

Just repeating what was reported.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2012, 02:28:58 AM »
Sent out some congress letters today.
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 03:24:35 AM »
I hope they pass every bit of pet legislation they have. if the stupid party can self destruct over stupid crap like the gheys and pot then let them blow themselves out come midterm elections. Or if it is a problem the vote can't fix, let's see what it is and who and what states push back. As far as active resistance, I would hope that one in 100 gun owners would. 1% of 80 million is a problem.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2012, 07:58:23 AM »
Even if they pass new anti-2A laws, I expect that the laws will work as well as the anti-drug laws. And I expect a few states to pass pro-gun laws like CO & WA did concerning marijuana......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2012, 08:47:58 AM »
Mental health.

The ultimate end-run around individual rights.

Everyone knows crazy people can't have rights, and in my professional opinion I believe you're crazy.

I worked in the mental health field.  I can't speak for them, but IMO, they don't really want this power.  Besides, they aren't the ones implementing the mental health restrictions, it is courts and legislatures.  I used to get court mandated clients all the time.  The money was nice, but forcing people into therapy was not effective.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2012, 08:48:24 AM »
Glad I already have a .3030.

The assault rifle of the 1800's
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2012, 09:13:42 AM »
The assault rifle of the 1800's

Sure beats a pointy stick. 

IMHO this will be the tipping point. 

We've seen mass shootings almost every year for many years. 
We all know its a tiny speck on the statistics of violence in this country. 
But something about this particular shooting puts me at ill ease.  Besides the level of depravity it takes to even consider the idea of shooting up an elementary school.
But of course, it's also the depravity of this shooting. The horror of some sicko shooting up a kindergarten class. 
I smell political will. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2012, 09:30:24 AM »

I can think of a few that wouldn't surprise me.  (Personally, in the flesh, not the obvious gun forum folk.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2012, 09:35:10 AM »
Quote from: longeyes on December 14, 2012, 11:04:20 PM

I personally know two different women who own a Glock and an AR, not sure what else they may own.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2012, 10:07:25 AM »
On Fox News this morning, they were talking and when the teachers lined up the kids outside such as the the kids are trained to do.....  there were no first graders or two classes were missing.  You know how sad this is.

I assume there weren't three first grade classes...  the local elementary school here is structured to have two groups for each class.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2012, 10:46:29 AM »

No, the guns were "registered" to the mother.

Of course, Connecticut (like Pennsylvania) technically does not have firearms "registration." But Connecticut does require that ALL sales of firearms through FFLs, and all sales of handguns between private parties, must be called into the State Police Firearms unit for a transaction approval before the deal can be (legally) completed. The state has a 4-part form that asks pretty much the same exact questions that are on the Federal 4473, with the names and addresses of both the buyer and the seller. One copy of this state form goes to the buyer, one copy goes to the seller, one goes to the state police, and the fourth copy goes to the local police in the municipality of the buyer.

So, except for the "loophole" that long guns may be sold privately without state blessing, there is an official record of pretty much all gun sales in CT. So it's not hard to see how they tied the guns to the mother. Did she buy them for herself? Unlikely. The 20-year old shooter was known to have enjoyed violent video games. At 20, he was not old enough to buy handguns himself. So it's probably a safe guess that Mommy indulged her autistic son's fantasies by buying the guns he wanted for him. If she then gave him the handguns rather than keep them under her own control ... she broke the law, and ultimately paid for it with her life.

The professional psychologists refuse to admit it, but IMHO these violent, shoot-em-up video games are responsible in large measure for the huge increase in violence (and "gun violence") this country has experienced in recent years.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:50:42 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2012, 11:16:16 AM »

Quote from: Hawkmoon
.......IMHO these violent, shoot-em-up video games are responsible in large measure for the huge increase in violence (and "gun violence") this country has experienced in recent years.

Other sources I've heard from state that violence (and gun violence) is actually going down.
 ???

If video games cause violence, what was Ghenghis Khan's excuse?  I don't think Hitler or Pol Pot played video games.
I suppose video games may illuminate someone's innate violent affliction, but IMHO violence is simply a characteristic of being human.  We all have some ability toward violence and are perhaps subject to different "buttons" to set it off.  We may not even be aware of which "button" will set us off.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2012, 12:03:46 PM »
No, the guns were "registered" to the mother.

Of course, Connecticut (like Pennsylvania) technically does not have firearms "registration." But Connecticut does require that ALL sales of firearms through FFLs, and all sales of handguns between private parties, must be called into the State Police Firearms unit for a transaction approval before the deal can be (legally) completed. The state has a 4-part form that asks pretty much the same exact questions that are on the Federal 4473, with the names and addresses of both the buyer and the seller. One copy of this state form goes to the buyer, one copy goes to the seller, one goes to the state police, and the fourth copy goes to the local police in the municipality of the buyer.

So, except for the "loophole" that long guns may be sold privately without state blessing, there is an official record of pretty much all gun sales in CT. So it's not hard to see how they tied the guns to the mother. Did she buy them for herself? Unlikely. The 20-year old shooter was known to have enjoyed violent video games. At 20, he was not old enough to buy handguns himself. So it's probably a safe guess that Mommy indulged her autistic son's fantasies by buying the guns he wanted for him. If she then gave him the handguns rather than keep them under her own control ... she broke the law, and ultimately paid for it with her life.

The professional psychologists refuse to admit it, but IMHO these violent, shoot-em-up video games are responsible in large measure for the huge increase in violence (and "gun violence") this country has experienced in recent years.

I strongly suspect there's a big correlation ≠ causation issue with "violent video games".

I'll wager that obsessively liking violent video games is a symptom of problems and not a cause. A normal person detaches from the violence somewhat, and just gets immersed in the goals and the challenge of the game play.

The troubled person gets obsessed with the killing, personalizes it. Revels in it. The game didn't make them that way. Although it may let them exercise thoughts or attitudes they already had.

And considering that the First Amendment issues with video game content are even more protected than the Second Amendment firearm ones, I don't think it's very useful avenue to pursue, even if I did think it was a "root cause" type of issue.
I promise not to duck.