Author Topic: Prepare for President Trump  (Read 31614 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Prepare for President Trump
« on: February 26, 2016, 04:56:40 PM »
Political science professor predicts a Trump victory:

https://www.sbstatesman.com/2016/02/23/political-science-professor-forecasts-trump-as-general-election-winner/

Donald Trump has a 97 percent chance of defeating Hillary Clinton and a 99 percent chance of defeating Bernie Sanders in the general election, according to Norpoth’s formula.

Sounds a bit like reading tea leaves, but ...

Norpoth’s primary model works for every presidential election since 1912, with the notable exception of the 1960 election. These results give the model an accuracy of 96.1 percent.

The 1960 election was unusually close:

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Prepare for President Trump
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 05:02:20 PM »
Kennedy did win in 1960.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 05:04:27 PM »
The media hasn't started gleefully pulling out Trump's skeleton's yet... they are waiting until he gets nominated.

I highly doubt Trump will win. 

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 05:24:38 PM »
I highly doubt Trump will win. 

A few months ago, I would have agreed.  Now I'm not so sure.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 05:26:49 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 05:46:40 PM »
There is a huge enthusiasm gap with Hillary.  Bernie's FSA will sit home if he's not the nominee.    Even with a highly contested D primary, the turnout numbers for the D's are 10-25% below what they were 4 and 8 years ago. 

Plus Hillary is the candidate of the status quo.  After 8 years of anyone, they American people are ready for change, not more of the same.   Another reason why Bernie is doing so well.

Those that think Hillary is a lock this election cycle are sadly mistaken.  About the only way she wins is if something happens and Obama can't finish his term, then she can campaign to finish his "legacy".   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 05:56:45 PM »
The lefties would turn out for Michelle though. Imagine if Hil and Bern go down and Obama suggest FLOUTUS up a candidate...

Boom. Eight more years of them in the WH.

However I expect the Republic might just dissolve if that were the case. I think Trump might also be a solvent.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 07:53:15 AM »

Norpoth’s primary model works for every presidential election since 1912, with the notable exception of the 1960 election. These results give the model an accuracy of 96.1 percent.

???

The graph showed Kennedy winning by .2% which not sure the final numbers he did win that election.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 08:20:11 AM »
The graph showed Kennedy winning by .2% which not sure the final numbers he did win that election.

I think he's saying the model predicted Nixon would win, but actual results were a Kennedy win in what was, effectively, a tie.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 11:58:56 AM »
President.  Trump.  Presidentdonaldtrump. presidenttrump. President Donald. I I just can't get the hang of any of these appellations.

The Republic has faced other turbulence, and remains, by some definition.

My junior Senator, who was developing some chops with me, has endorsed The Donald.  Guess Cruz has piss d off too many of his colleagues, which is not, in and of itself, a bad thing.  At least not until Jeff Sessions goes against you in a State you really need to carry.

Damn...
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 12:08:38 PM »
Wasn't there some future-based sci fi comedy where Trump was or had been President? 

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 12:19:32 PM »
Wasn't there some future-based sci fi comedy where Trump was or had been President? 

Idiocracy?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 12:24:44 PM »
Idiocracy?

You sir win one (1) Internets for the day.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 12:32:49 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtparSnQhFc&t=0m29s

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Pb

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 02:47:12 PM »
I would rather Trump be president than Hillary, but that's like saying I'd rather eat sun-baked roadkill than dog excrement.  I'm pretty sure the delusional Trump voters are going to give us Hillary though.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 02:50:28 PM »
I would rather Trump be president than Hillary, but that's like saying I'd rather eat sun-baked roadkill than dog excrement.  I'm pretty sure the delusional Trump voters are going to give us Hillary though.

Yeah.

"I'd rather get kicked in the dick every day for 8 years than get stabbed in the dick everyday for 8 years."

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 02:50:56 PM »
I would rather Trump be president than Hillary, but that's like saying I'd rather eat sun-baked roadkill than dog excrement.  I'm pretty sure the delusional Trump voters are going to give us Hillary though.

So far, Trump has been immune to the media's attacks. It will be interesting to see if he continues to be as the election rolls one.

(Incidentally, I'm fairly convinced Trump is already the nominee. Tomorrow will likely seal it, looking at polling. I'm still voting for Cruz, but it looks as though the people aren't interested in someone who actually has a record to compare to their rhetoric. Wait, didn't we already have a president with little to no record that spouted a bunch of platitudes that were what people wanted to hear?

Well, at least there's precedent, then.)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 02:56:19 PM »
Wait, didn't we already have a president with little to no record that spouted a bunch of platitudes that were what people wanted to hear?

Heck, we did pretty well with and actor and motivational speaker who had more experience stumping for failed candidates than governing California.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 02:58:41 PM »
Heck, we did pretty well with and actor and motivational speaker who had more experience stumping for failed candidates than governing California.

Err... he was Governor of California for 8 years... That's not negligible experience and record.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 03:01:40 PM »
So far, Trump has been immune to the media's attacks. It will be interesting to see if he continues to be as the election rolls one.

(Incidentally, I'm fairly convinced Trump is already the nominee. Tomorrow will likely seal it, looking at polling. I'm still voting for Cruz, but it looks as though the people aren't interested in someone who actually has a record to compare to their rhetoric. Wait, didn't we already have a president with little to no record that spouted a bunch of platitudes that were what people wanted to hear?

Well, at least there's precedent, then.)

Well, you have your good pie-in-the-sky and you have your bad pie-in-the-sky.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 03:01:57 PM »

Err... he was Governor of California for 8 years... That's not negligible experience and record.

I hope he just has his punctuation or wording off a little.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 03:13:26 PM »

And in terms of Reagan.. he openly discussed his evolution to becoming a conservative, although just as much, if not more it was that the Democrats left him, than he left the Democrats.

I mean, look at JFK, no way he'd fit in the party with his positions now.
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 03:14:12 PM »
Kennedy did win in 1960.
Didn't that actually take the Chicago graveyard vote?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 03:48:03 PM »
Who's the Libertarian candidate this time? I can't believe I'm actually considering giving Billery a chance by not voting for Rump but I can only vote for the lesser of two evils for so long, ya know?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 04:32:39 PM »
Those that think Hillary is a lock this election cycle are sadly mistaken.  About the only way she wins is if something happens and Obama can't finish his term, then she can campaign to finish his "legacy".

That puts Biden in as President, and I don't think Hillary can especially promise to complete his legacy.  Especially with (googles) only a 46% approval rating, I don't think that Obama has any particularly moving 'legacy' to complete.  John F Kennedy was still a first term president when he was killed, leaving far more in the way of 'legacy' to complete than a lame duck term limited president.

Who's the Libertarian candidate this time? I can't believe I'm actually considering giving Billery a chance by not voting for Rump but I can only vote for the lesser of two evils for so long, ya know?

Gary Johnson.  I'm probably going to vote for him, I'm in a 'safe' republican state.