Author Topic: The Pope goes full retard  (Read 15648 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: The Pope goes full retard
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2016, 01:39:32 AM »

Meh. As I understand it, he's really nothing like what "liberal" Catholics want. Unless I'm mistaken, he toes the church's line on abortion, an all-male priesthood, birth control, Sodomy, and so on...

He does seem to be pretty backward on economic issues, of course.

Not to mention Global Warming Anthropomorphic Climate Change.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2016, 10:51:15 AM »
I confess I'm not a scholar of Christian history.  I tend to think of anything middle ages and before as "early Christianity".  So I guess the inquisition was after that a tic.  As were much of the European witch hunts.

I guess the Christians mostly calmed down after about 1600-1650?  But they didn't really start expanding into Europe until what, 500 or so?

So a better descriptor probably would be "Middling corrupt up phase"
I thought Christianity spread throughout the Roman Empire before it fell which included a large part of Europe.  That is a far cry from saying they were the dominant religion.  I don't know the full history so I might have to look it up at some point.  
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 12:22:17 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2016, 10:54:53 AM »
His point, making the gigantic leap to assume it was translated accurately, seems to be that people are warping the Koran to justify terrorism, and that some people could do something similar to the Bible.

Yeah, because "leave and shake off the dust from your feet" is so similar to "convert or die."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2016, 12:08:48 PM »

:laugh:  I don't know about that. To hear some tell it, the Catholics and Orthodox are still persecuting the Protestants in some parts of Latin America, and Eastern Europe, and there are witch-hunts in Africa these days.

But to look at it another way, the truly zealous, fired-up Christians are actually doing what Christ taught: loving their enemies, feeding the helpless, denouncing hypocrites, doing good works, etc.

Eeeeeyup.   Them Jehovah's Witnesses are everywhere!!!!!! [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2016, 08:13:13 PM »
Oh dear.  :facepalm:  Do we have to have that whole talk about JW's being only quasi-Christian again?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2016, 09:32:16 PM »
Oh dear.  :facepalm:  Do we have to have that whole talk about JW's being only quasi-Christian again?
Oh geez, another thread that fistful feels the need to reply on.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2016, 10:26:37 PM »
Charb, it's a bit cramped living in your head. Mind letting me out of here?  :P

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2016, 11:08:42 PM »

They believe in Jesus.....they worship him as they believe the apostles did in Jesus'   time, without the corruption that 2000 years of   institutionalized Christianity has wrought. 
You may not believe in their iteration of Christianity, as a Catholic may not believe in Protestants....but to deny they are Christians is  absurd. ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2016, 09:09:59 PM »

They believe in Jesus.....they worship him as they believe the apostles did in Jesus'   time, without the corruption that 2000 years of   institutionalized Christianity has wrought. 
You may not believe in their iteration of Christianity, as a Catholic may not believe in Protestants....but to deny they are Christians is  absurd. ;)
What corruption are you referring to? 

The Word of God is right there for everyone to see and read.  Lots of stuff (or pastors) available if someone doesn't understand a particular verse or chapter.  If someone is caught up in corruption/false teaching, it is there own choice. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2016, 11:46:39 PM »
What corruption are you referring to? 

The Word of God is right there for everyone to see and read.  Lots of stuff (or pastors) available if someone doesn't understand a particular verse or chapter.  If someone is caught up in corruption/false teaching, it is there own choice. 

Do you believe that the Bible has not been altered, in any way, since it was written?  --And I am not refering to translations from its original language(s).

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2016, 09:19:34 AM »
Oh, we're doing this, then? OK, how has it been altered?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2016, 09:57:08 AM »
Do you believe that the Bible has not been altered, in any way, since it was written?  --And I am not refering to translations from its original language(s).
No, I do not.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2016, 11:19:22 AM »
The Pope wants to use the power of the state to enforce his his "moral" stance on immigration?

That's not big news. The Pope and Roman Catholicism have always looked favorably upon autocratic top down use of government to reach their ends.

That a Pope is advocating for the rise of Islam in the west is something of a shocker. Cultural Marxism has the most amazing power to turn everything inside out and upside down. It really is a spiritual disease of the soul.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2016, 11:32:33 AM »
No, I do not.

Correct answer. Sure, people have tried to alter it. They also made "New Coke."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2016, 11:50:32 AM »
There is more surety and evidence for the text of the entire Bible than there is for any other historic document. And unlike other documents there are hundreds upon hundreds of copies containing some or all of the text to study. Not only verses but every word has been picked over dozens and dozens of times by scholars from every religious and philosophical persuasion over the centuries.

The bazillion translations of the various texts instead of confusing most issues does just the opposite. They show just how confident we can be about just about every single verse in the Bible.

I read a New Testament translated by one of the most highly regarded scholars of ancient Greek. The man is not a Christian and he used the Greek text I personally don't prefer. Yet, there it was, the same amazing gospel story, letters to the churches and Johns Revelation. It was still like reading my favorite book, my old friend. Because it was.

When in doubt you can always just default to the Bible that Satan hates and God has used to build the church, The King James Bible  :old:  ;)

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2016, 02:00:57 PM »
I read a New Testament translated by one of the most highly regarded scholars of ancient Greek. The man is not a Christian and he used the Greek text I personally don't prefer. Yet, there it was, the same amazing gospel story, letters to the churches and Johns Revelation. It was still like reading my favorite book, my old friend. Because it was.

Which one is that?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2016, 02:37:12 PM »

What Ron wrote.

The empirical evidence points to "unaltered."  To such an extent that scholars of texts of similar antiquity can only regard with envy. Even relative to texts for which there is an unbroken line of Greek copies/translations from the originals, down through the Byzantine Empire out into the Renaissance.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2016, 04:24:24 PM »
Oh, we're doing this, then? OK, how has it been altered?
No, I do not.

Well (this according to JWs atleast), for starters, the removal of God's personal name (Jehovah ...or Yahwey [SP?] depending on whether you prefer  Hebrew) several thousand times from the scriptures.  

Not a big deal for those who are Baptists, I guess.  [tinfoil]
(I'm beginning to regret this thread drift :police:) :angel:

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2016, 05:46:21 PM »
Well (this according to JWs atleast), for starters, the removal of God's personal name (Jehovah ...or Yahwey [SP?] depending on whether you prefer  Hebrew) several thousand times from the scriptures. 

Not a big deal for those who are Baptists, I guess.  [tinfoil]
(I'm beginning to regret this thread drift :police:) :angel:

How do they know the personal name was "removed"? If the text is altered, how do they know what it was?

Oh, wait, nope. Still in there.
https://www.blueletterbible.org/study/misc/name_god.cfm

In the Old Testament Yahweh occurs 6,519 times. This name is used more than any other name of God.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2016, 06:43:17 PM »

How do they know the personal name was "removed"? If the text is altered, how do they know what it was?

Oh, wait, nope. Still in there.
https://www.blueletterbible.org/study/misc/name_god.cfm

Have you actually gone through Bibles and counted?
A few new versions have, in fact, had God's personal name replaced, but this is  pretty recent.  Having a copy of the version of the Bible JW'S use and my own King James version,  I can find "Jehovah" in my version maybe twice.....in JW's it's everywhere.
Not that this is an earth shattering controversy......I just started comparing a few years back when a friend told me that the JW bible was very different than others.
Well, that turned out to be false.

Btw, both "Jehovah" and "Yahweh"  come from the same tetragrammaton which is a sort of shorthand using only consonants in the alphabet.  How you filled it out depended only on your native tongue.  So it really doesn't matter....6514 of one, 4289 of the other....both are actually the same name.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2016, 06:50:03 PM »
Why do you think the JW version is correct?

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2016, 06:57:02 PM »
 ???  Who said that?   Although if it is true that God's name was initially in the bible, and removed, then perhaps you could say that THE JW version restored it to a closer to original condition.
However, other than that, there isn't  much  difference.  Both versions are serviceable.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2016, 09:32:05 PM »
???  Who said that?   Although if it is true that God's name was initially in the bible, and removed, then perhaps you could say that THE JW version restored it to a closer to original condition.
However, other than that, there isn't  much  difference.  Both versions are serviceable.
The last few years I've been using the World English Bible. It uses "Yahweh" as it appears in the text. Generally when you see Lord or LORD referring to God in the Bible that is a place where Yahweh is in the text. That would be something over 5000 times in the Bible.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2016, 09:53:06 PM »
Which one is that?

The New Testament translated by Richmond Lattimore.

According to his wiki page:
Richmond Alexander Lattimore (May 6, 1906 – February 26, 1984) was an American poet and classicist known for his translations of the Greek classics, especially his versions of the Iliad and Odyssey, which are generally considered as among the best English translations available.
and this little nugget was there that I wasn't aware of:
                                      "Shortly before his death, he was baptised as a Roman Catholic, due in part to his work translating the Gospel of St. Luke."

So I guess I wasn't entirely correct about his lack of faith. It appears that his study of the word of God may have led him to faith in Christ.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Testament-Richmond-Lattimore/dp/0865475245

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2016, 09:58:07 PM »
I thought we

And I am not refering to translations from its original language(s).

Because yes, we could argue what translation is better and more technically accurate all day long. Such is the nature of translation. Particularly when we are this far removed from the source languages.

But that's not what you asked.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.