Author Topic: Greenwood IN Mall shooting  (Read 7740 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Greenwood IN Mall shooting
« on: July 17, 2022, 08:36:35 PM »
Reported multiple people shot by man with rifle and several magazines.
Reported 4 dead
Shooting was reportedly stopped by person with a handgun. Shooter reported dead.

LIVE: 4 dead, 2 wounded in shooting at Greenwood Park Mall; Good Samaritan shot and killed shooter
https://www.wthr.com/article/news/local/multiple-victims-reported-in-shooting-at-greenwood-park-mall/531-df15bbf5-8eca-4220-b149-7de4735fbe37

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Re: Greenwood IN Mall shooting
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 08:52:45 PM »
 [tinfoil] mode on
That assault weapons bill is to be introduced tomorrow
 [tinfoil] mode off

I hate  [tinfoil] stuff but this getting ridiculous

Edit: Don't take this serious
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 09:22:50 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 09:21:40 PM »
Also reports a group of teenagers were arguing at the time.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 09:39:20 PM »
Police Chief calling the Good Samaritan a hero
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 09:58:34 PM »
Police Chief calling the Good Samaritan a hero

Police Chief also said he's proud of the law enforcement response.

"This has shaken us to our core. This isn't something we've seen in Greenwood before. It is absolutely horrendous," Ison said. He went on to say that they have trained for active shooter situations like this and he was proud of the response from law enforcement.

I guess that means they did a bang-up job or traffic control and forensic marking of shell casing locations after a 22-year-old private citizen took out the shooter for them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 10:08:23 PM »
Haven't seen anything to criticize the police over yet
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 10:10:52 PM »
Guy at Agenda-Free TV just pointed out this happened right at closing time. Seems an odd time to start a mass shooting if you want to maximize victims
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 10:26:57 PM »
Guy at Agenda-Free TV just pointed out this happened right at closing time. Seems an odd time to start a mass shooting if you want to maximize victims
I saw it reported that it started as an argument between two groups.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 10:37:12 PM »
Haven't seen anything to criticize the police over yet

What's to criticize? It was over before they could respond. I'm not saying the cops did anything wrong in this case (unlike at Uvalde), but they also didn't do anything particularly noteworthy. For the chief to say he's "proud" of their response is a meaningless statement.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 10:54:32 PM »
Maybe he was proud they didn't shoot the good guy or any of the wounded?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2022, 10:56:53 PM »
Maybe he was proud they didn't shoot the good guy or any of the wounded?

You mean use the NYPD method? Let God sort them out.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2022, 12:05:32 AM »
[tinfoil] mode on
That assault weapons bill is to be introduced tomorrow
 [tinfoil] mode off

I hate  [tinfoil] stuff but this getting ridiculous

Edit: Don't take this serious

[tinfoil] The NRA did this, since Uvalde "debunked" the "good guy with a gun" idea. [tinfoil]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 12:13:43 AM »
I remember one of the times the mall I was in doing Santa had a protest go through it to "shut it down."

Gigglesnort.

So, there I am in the back of a shoe store, in the back room, because Santa is a magnet for the loonies, and one of the folks from the shoe store asks about what they should do if the "peaceful protesters" break the glass doors and come in.

"You guys go out the back door into the passages, head for your cars. I'll hold this door closed."

They looked at me like I was insane.

There were a few implements in that break room/closet that would have been quite useful. I did not elaborate.
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2022, 09:52:11 AM »
Both the Good Samaritan and the shooter somehow got guns pass the Mall's magic door stickers.
Police say the 22-year-old from Bartholomew County had a legal gun permit. However, according to mall policy, the man should not have been carrying his handgun in the mall in the first place.

Last updated in April 2020, Simon Property Group states in its code of conduct that no weapons are allowed at their shopping centers. The group is the owner of the Greenwood Park Mall.

And lets not forget IN became a Constitutional Carry state only just a little over two weeks ago. I'm sure that will be on the anti's blame check list for the shooting
I’m sure that in the wake of this shooting there will be a lot of debate about Indiana’s gun laws, which includes the Constitutional Carry law that went into effect on July 1st

Mass shooting at Indiana mall stopped by armed citizen
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2022/07/18/mass-shooting-at-indiana-mall-stopped-by-armed-citizen-n60500
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2022, 10:05:45 AM »
Just noticed an oddity in the wording above and I know it's often worded that way
"had a legal gun permit"

That begs the question. Is there an illegal gun permit?
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2022, 10:10:45 AM »
And we now have this

Kris Brown | President, bradyunited.org
@KrisB_Brown
Here's what we're not going to do: continue to uplift the NRA myth of a "good guy with a gun."

Let me be clear: If more guns made us safer, America would be the safest country in the WORLD.

We need sensible gun laws, not vigilante safety nets. #GreenwoodMall #GunReformNow

Brady president paints Good Samaritan with a handgun as a ‘vigilante’ for taking down Greenwood Mall shooter and saving lives
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/07/18/brady-president-paints-good-samaritan-with-a-handgun-as-a-vigilante-for-taking-down-greenwood-mall-shooter-and-saving-lives/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2022, 10:48:18 AM »
Even more amazing, MSN carried the story without a bunch of anti-gun political spin.

CNN managed to go into a whole spin about how rare a good guy with a gun is, and that mostly they get shot by police who don't know who they are. Also that most of them are off duty cops and security guards. So how do the cops know not to shoot those guys?

In checking a handful of news sources, I also saw many of them list the bad guy as one of the shooting victims.

On the mall having a "no guns" sign, does anyone know if violating a private property sign is simple trespassing in Indiana, or a specific crime? Funny that as the chief of police was praising the guy as a hero, the police PR dept needed to mention that he shouldn't have had a gun there.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2022, 10:53:25 AM »

In checking a handful of news sources, I also saw many of them list the bad guy as one of the shooting victims.

Most outlets started doing that a while back, bumps up the body count a bit in the headlines.  In this case 33%.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2022, 10:54:11 AM »
On the mall having a "no guns" sign, does anyone know if violating a private property sign is simple trespassing in Indiana, or a specific crime? Funny that as the chief of police was praising the guy as a hero, the police PR dept needed to mention that he shouldn't have had a gun there.

Simple trespass in Indiana. Not a crime unless you get spotted and the mall asks you to leave.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2022, 10:55:24 AM »
Most outlets started doing that a while back, bumps up the body count a bit in the headlines.  In this case 33%.

This also allows the FBI to count more shootings as "mass" shootings, and more killings as "mass" killings.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2022, 10:56:27 AM »
This also allows the FBI to count more shootings as "mass" shootings, and more killings as "mass" killings.

And all the gun control groups
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2022, 12:46:30 PM »
Suppose to be a press conference at 13:00 14:00 EDT

May be other links but this one popped up in my YT feed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6_9dnO2nQM

Edit: Make that 14:00 EDT
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 01:01:04 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2022, 12:47:24 PM »
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes