Author Topic: NYT article on open carry in Oklahoma  (Read 2850 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
NYT article on open carry in Oklahoma
« on: October 31, 2012, 03:57:32 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/us/oklahoma-prepares-for-open-carry-gun-law.html

Not a bad article at all; no 'blood running in the streets' hysteria.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: NYT article on open carry in Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 04:16:03 PM »
The new law has illustrated the ways in which the state’s image as a bastion of rugged outdoorsmen and gun-toting cowboys is as much fact as it is fiction.

Hardly  ;/

I can open carry without begging permission from Montana to New Mexico, but don't dare step into OK or TX.

(well, TX I can at least have it with me in the car)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 04:56:40 PM »
In Michigan it varies. Some parts of the state nothing will happen, other parts will results in you tasting concrete.
Look, tiny text!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 05:33:53 PM »
Neener, neener, neener! :laugh:

We Open Carry across the Old Dominion with almost no hiccups on the part of the po-lice.  Heck, ever since we got shall-issue concealed carry 15+ years ago we had to open carry in places that served booze (until 2 years ago, but you cannot drink if you CC).

I have only two problems with all the PSH that attends any change in how folks carry firearms in daily life: I've never encountered a single gun, let alone piles of them, in the streets; and the promised gunfights over parking spaces just never materialized.  For the most part women do not stampede and horses do not faint at the sight of an openly carried handgun.  Truth be told, most folks seem not to notice them.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
I know, right?  We don't even need references to get our CCW license.  For such an effete Mid-Atlantic state, we have pretty open gun laws. :D

Chris

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 06:10:28 PM »
Hmm... I've been carrying basically every day since I got my permit (barring being at the inventory gig: the hotel owner actually likes that I carry while working on the place). I've had... 3 people notice it since last November. And I don't always conceal: is more a case of "I'm going to wear a jacket because it's cold" than "must wear cover garment"...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 07:22:53 PM »
yup, I have the permission slip but really just always carry, in warmer weather tend not to conceal unless in the bigger town, and then its because I need to be in and out quick without having to explain things to idjits.

More often then not people do not notice, a gal in town only recently realized I was carrying- after a few yrs of me having it out in the open.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 07:28:47 PM »
I think it will come to Texas eventually.  I think the issue caught the TSRA by surprise a few years back and it had little support.  I figure people will warm to it given time, but legislative changes are slow here. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 07:47:02 PM »
Oklahoma has some decent gun laws in some respects and some seriously screwed up positions in other ways.
We had the same old "blood in the streets" predictions when we got CC back in 95. I think the libtards are actually disappointed it didn't happen.
As for (licensed)open carry here I really think the biggest chance for problems will come from over zealous cops and bliss ninny pants wetters and not from people open carrying nasty old gun where decent folks might actually see it.
As for me, no changes in how I carry except that I won't be quite as concerned about inadvertently exposing my weapon.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 12:44:13 AM »
I think it will come to Texas eventually.  I think the issue caught the TSRA by surprise a few years back and it had little support.  I figure people will warm to it given time, but legislative changes are slow here. 

I've had direct contact with a couple of TSRA upper-echelon types - they were not taken by surprise; they don't support it.  Or at least claim that their members don't support it 'cause not enough members have suggested OC to them.  TSRA doesn't poll their members about OC, nor do they keep track of how many suggestions for OC are submitted, they just "know" it's not a "big deal" to their membership.

There was a push last season to get a bill passed, it was introduced by Rep. Lavender (IIRC) but didn't get far.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 01:34:22 AM »
BREAKING NEWS FROM OKLAHOMA!

(Licensed)Open carry is now legal in the Sooner state. I have yet to see any gunfights over parking spaces, no blood in the streets yet but I did see a cat cross the road just moments ago.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 07:17:59 AM »
I've had direct contact with a couple of TSRA upper-echelon types - they were not taken by surprise; they don't support it.  Or at least claim that their members don't support it 'cause not enough members have suggested OC to them.  TSRA doesn't poll their members about OC, nor do they keep track of how many suggestions for OC are submitted, they just "know" it's not a "big deal" to their membership.

There was a push last season to get a bill passed, it was introduced by Rep. Lavender (IIRC) but didn't get far.
good to know.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 08:32:39 AM »
BREAKING NEWS FROM OKLAHOMA!

(Licensed)Open carry is now legal in the Sooner state. I have yet to see any gunfights over parking spaces, no blood in the streets yet but I did see a cat cross the road just moments ago.

But was the cat open carrying, and just what would a cat carry, anyway?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 08:37:02 AM »

TSRA doesn't support it because of the racket they've created over permits. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 08:38:37 AM »

Well, duh, a mouse gun of course.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 10:59:09 AM »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 12:38:55 PM »

Open carry clause

:lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 04:11:30 PM »
Well, duh, a mouse gun of course.

This produced an actual guffaw. Well done sir!