Author Topic: Woo Hoo!! Tornado sirens going off.  (Read 657 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Woo Hoo!! Tornado sirens going off.
« on: June 18, 2023, 02:05:00 AM »
Tornado sirens going off all around and just lost power.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 02:49:48 AM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Woo Hoo!!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 02:48:58 AM »
Worst of storm has passed. No obvious damage. Son has trees down on his property. Son in law's mother in Tulsa has siding and roof damage on her house.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Woo Hoo!! Tornado sirens going off.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023, 07:44:06 AM »
Sorry for your relations property damage.  Everyone is okay, no injuries?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023, 07:59:40 AM »
Glad you're okay! Property damage sucks, but it's better than person damage.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2023, 08:19:35 AM »
Glad to hear you're OK.  I hate tornados and derechos.  Up close and personal too many times.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2023, 08:54:58 AM »
Power still out, gonna be hot today.
No word of any major property damage or injury from any of my clan so far.
Most scary event so far was my wife trying to find her ancient stove top coffee pot. It was found and employed so still safe.

Samuel Adams

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2023, 09:36:33 AM »
Power still out, gonna be hot today.
No word of any major property damage or injury from any of my clan so far.
Most scary event so far was my wife trying to find her ancient stove top coffee pot. It was found and employed so still safe.

No problems here West of Cashion, but I certainly understand the importance of a stove-top coffee pot! We keep ours in our safe room.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2023, 12:06:04 PM »
Finally drug out my generator. Needed to run out the old gas anyway. Hadn't touched it in at least 8-9 months but it started 1st pull. Got it running 2 refrigerators a box fan and a couple of phone chargers.
Half expected the power to come back on as soon as I set it up.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2023, 01:15:35 PM »
Finally drug out my generator. Needed to run out the old gas anyway. Hadn't touched it in at least 8-9 months but it started 1st pull. Got it running 2 refrigerators a box fan and a couple of phone chargers.
Half expected the power to come back on as soon as I set it up.

It's a proven fact that firing up your own generator speeds the utility repair process.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2023, 02:30:24 PM »
Hasn't worked so far. Still no power. Pretty close to being the 2nd longest outage we've had in the 28 years I've been here. 13 hours and counting, 14 will be a new 2nd place. Longest was 6 days after an ice storm in 2007.
At least it isn't stupid hot today.
I'm a little embarrassed to admit it but I got caught with no gas on hand. I'd emptied two 5-gallon cans in the last 2 days mowing and forgot to refill yesterday evening.  Power came back in town so I was able to fill up all 4 of my cans. Lesson (re)learned.

I've gotten reports that there is quite  bit of damage at the marina where my boat is. They are asking people to hold off coming out to check their boats to let them get the docks stabilized and safe.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2023, 02:40:40 PM »
I am sorry to hear that you have experienced climate change.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2023, 11:10:20 PM »
Power at my place was restored about 8:00PM.
I am now currently in a deeply physical relationship with my air conditioner  =D

Drove down to the lake to check on my boat but wasn't able to access the docks yet due to problems with the docks and walkways. I talked to the marina owner as well as the service manager and both said that their appears to be no serious damage to any of the boats.
On the drive to the highway there was about a mile long stretch along the county road where the transmission line power poles were all snapped off right above ground level. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2023, 05:22:33 PM »
Missed by a mile.
National Weather Service is reporting 2 EF-1 tornados in my AO Sunday morning.
One went just south of the Oologah Lake dam missing the marina by about a mile.
Another went just about 3/4 of a mile south of my house.

Public Service of Oklahoma and the various electric cooperatives are still reporting over 185,000 without power and we are currently under a heat advisory.
Some estimates are saying as late as Saturday afternoon before service will be restored.
https://poweroutage.us/area/state/oklahoma
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 05:34:44 PM by RoadKingLarry »

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends

Samuel Adams

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2023, 10:31:12 PM »
Larry - glad to hear everything is back on for you.  You are lucky as you were only out less than a day.  Back in mid-April, we were out for 2 days and I had to get a neighbor's help to get my generator in the back of my p/u and get it to the house.

Ain't Life GRAND??
  ;/
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2023, 06:00:22 AM »
We came close a couple of years ago and that prompted me to get a propane camp stove out of storage plus buy extra torch tanks.   At least I'd be able to make cowboy coffee with the water I have stored around the house and heat the freezer food and the many Hormel Compleat dinners I have.  (Though you can eat them cold... calories is calories.)

Right now I'm running a little short on batteries and adequate battery-powered lighting.  Will "do something" about that shortly.  Tornado-wise, the weather is usually warm enough, and in winter power outages I've got plenty of bundle-up clothes to stay warm.

So we'll see.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Hope your boat is as OK as they're talking about and all APSers are OK.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2023, 12:01:53 AM »
We came close a couple of years ago and that prompted me to get a propane camp stove out of storage plus buy extra torch tanks.   At least I'd be able to make cowboy coffee with the water I have stored around the house and heat the freezer food and the many Hormel Compleat dinners I have.  (Though you can eat them cold... calories is calories.)

Right now I'm running a little short on batteries and adequate battery-powered lighting.  Will "do something" about that shortly.  Tornado-wise, the weather is usually warm enough, and in winter power outages I've got plenty of bundle-up clothes to stay warm.

So we'll see.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Hope your boat is as OK as they're talking about and all APSers are OK.

Terry, 230RN

Same here.  I have a gas grill outside, a dual burner "white gas" camp stove, both a gas & propane lanterns, kerosene lamps, candles, flashlights galore, some battery lanterns, a wood burning fireplace, at least 15 gal. of gas for car & P/U, so - - -.  ;)
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2023, 08:59:39 AM »
I pulled into Sandusky, Ohio, back in 1992 for the National Matches at Camp Perry the afternoon after an evening tornado cut a pretty nasty swath through the area.

Between that and the damage from the 2011 Deracho in Northern Virginia is the closest I ever want to come to an even like a tornado.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2023, 04:08:53 PM »
I pulled into Sandusky, Ohio, back in 1992 for the National Matches at Camp Perry the afternoon after an evening tornado cut a pretty nasty swath through the area.

Between that and the damage from the 2011 Deracho in Northern Virginia is the closest I ever want to come to an even like a tornado.

Around 1970, we had a tornado pass over the house where we lived at the time.  Two doors up, the neighbor's small travel trailer and backyard fence were both blown over.  Half a block east of them, three houses in a N-S line were damaged.  The southernmost was a split level and the roof on the upper section was gone.  The house across the street to the north lost part of its roof and the northernmost of the three had a 12' 2x4 "speared" through their roof near the edge, going through the soffit and not into the house.  There was other  damage to those houses but that was what I remembered as the most serious damage.
Our house and most of the E-W houses across the street from ours had little damage and we were less than 75 yds. from that split level house.
  :O

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2023, 03:24:55 PM »
Glad you're safe RKL. Tis the season.
I'm bad about forgetting to run my generator regularly, in spite of having reminders set. I also have trouble remembering whether I've treated the fuel or not. Called Sta-bil customer service to see if it was okay to add more to gen and to fuel tanks, since I might have, or I might not have - it was 8 months ago and I've slept since then. The guy was GREAT!
Here's what I learned:
-  15 mils per 5 gallons of gas
-  Add to fuel cans and gen now, even if I added it last fall. Sta-bil won't CLEAN fuel, but it will prevent it from further decay. In future, treat immediately after filling cans.
-  Get a can of fresh fuel - add one part new fuel to three parts old fuel (since it's less than a year old and has been properly stored) when adding to generator or lawn equipment to give a little fresh boost to the old fuel
-  After adding Sta-bil to generator, start it and let it run for a while (can't remember how long he said - 15-20 minutes I think)
-  Still okay to use Sta-bil treated gas when mixing with oil 2-part motors
-  Sta-bil is only good for two years from date opened. When you open a bottle, write date on side and don't use after two years. If you don't know when you bought it, call Sta-bil and give them the first 5 numbers printed on back of bottle and they'll tell you what year. (773) 694-4554
-  When storing equipment with Sta-bil treated gas, top off fuel reservoir, then start and run for a 30 - 60 seconds before storing.

Y'all probably know all this, but I didn't, so thought I'd share. Stay safe with all this crazy weather!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe