Author Topic: Graf Spee's bronze eagle saved from the smelter  (Read 278 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Graf Spee's bronze eagle saved from the smelter
« on: June 19, 2023, 11:19:34 AM »
For now
Apparently they were going to melt it down.
Yes I know how some feel about the swastika but it is a piece of history and I personally would rather see it in museum. People need to be reminded of the unpleasant parts of history as well as the pleasant ones.

When a court in Uruguay ruled that the eagle should be auctioned off to pay off the private investors who had financed its recovery from the River Plate, the Simon Wiesenthal Center, a Jewish human rights organisation dedicated to Holocaust research and remembrance, warned that it could fall into the hands of Nazi sympathisers.

And do what with it, conquer the world or something?

Graf Spee: Nazi battleship's bronze eagle saved from smelter
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-65943819

Oh and quit calling the Graf Spee, and the Deutschland class in general, battleships, they were cruisers. The reason the Scharnhorst class gets a pass on that is that they had the size and armor to back being called battleships* despite having the same size, though different model, guns as the Deutschlands.

*Though some classify them as battlecruisers. Note: I am not getting into that argument here.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 11:44:21 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Graf Spee's bronze eagle saved from the smelter
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 12:08:35 PM »
Just cast it into the fires of Mordor and be done with it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams