Author Topic: *Cough* Thanks *Cough* Canada *Cough*  (Read 1084 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
*Cough* Thanks *Cough* Canada *Cough*
« on: June 28, 2023, 10:48:06 AM »
Look out and you would think the neighbors house is on fire.
Anyone else here getting this?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: *Cough* Thanks *Cough* Canada *Cough*
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 11:05:00 AM »
This *expletive deleted*it again...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 11:47:07 AM »
Yesterday and today are pretty bad here.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 11:59:02 AM »
A couple of weeks ago when NYC was smoky, I talked to my cousin(s) in the Chicago area and asked how the air was there - at the time, nothing out of the ordinary.

Yesterday (06/27/2023) I got a text from my cousin who lives in a condo just SW of the city - she was getting heavy smoke there, with visibility down to about 1 block. (She lives on the 4th floor.)

Biden proposing new "green" taxes in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2023, 12:01:31 PM »
Must be globular warmulating. things like this never happened before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPQz9FpdOrw&t=49s
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2023, 02:26:18 PM »
We did a couple of years ago and earlier this year from Canadian wildfires in BC and Alberta.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2023, 03:00:06 PM »
We did a couple of years ago and earlier this year from Canadian wildfires in BC and Alberta.

It is a yearly thing in parts of the PNW/ID/MT, but now it is smoking out a different subset of US residents and they think the world is coming to an end. With El Nino kicking into gear and building things are going to get a little bumpy all over for a while.

bob
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 03:13:42 PM by BobR »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2023, 03:11:03 PM »
It is a yearly thing in parts of the PNW/ID/MT, but now it is smoking out a different subset of US residents and they thing the world is coming to an end. With El Nino kicking into gear and building things are going to get a little bumpy all over for a while.

bob

Not saying the world is coming to an end just don't like it.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2023, 03:17:36 PM »
Not saying the world is coming to an end just don't like it.

Sometimes it looks like the world is ending. But you are right, it isn't going any faster than usual. But now that we know the Yellowstone magma chamber is much bigger than was previously known it does give hope.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121954323

bob

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2023, 04:13:00 PM »
Look out and you would think the neighbors house is on fire.
Anyone else here getting this?

By that map we're in green, right next to yellow.  Super hazy out there.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2023, 05:18:35 PM »
We're a little hazy.  While we can see some distance away, we can't see the mountains 35-40 miles north of here.  They're normally easily visible.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2023, 07:50:51 PM »
It was hazy all morning, which I assume had something to do with temps being relatively mild . Thanks, Canucks!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2023, 12:14:30 AM »
While not as bad as Chicago or Detroit, St. Louis was not in good shape this morning.  Funny thing was that it got worse later in the morning (9 am-noon) but then started to break up.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2023, 11:33:35 AM »
Today is the worst it's been so far with the Canuck Smoke.  You cannot see more than a couple of miles across the local area from the hill we are on.  And you can actually catch some of the burning brush smell now and again.
This morning I drove up north on US321 about three miles to the Wally World gas station we frequent.  Stepped out of my truck and the burning brush smell was really pronounced.  Back home now and the smell is not nearly as strong.  Funny how just a few miles makes such a large difference.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2023, 12:04:34 PM »
Went into East Dundee IL today (west Chicago burb).

Leaving Freeport, I'd estimate visibility at about a mile.  It's actually somewhat clearer here (in ED).
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2023, 12:07:14 PM »
Well, the moose population will increase after the fires subside. This is good, because I am planning on moose hunting in Canada in a few years.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2023, 12:08:20 PM »
Well, the moose population will increase after the fires subside. This is good, because I am planning on moose hunting in Canada in a few years.

You going to take your sister?
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2023, 12:11:30 PM »
Looks like the red zones Wednesday have lightened up a bit.
Been raining here all morning.

- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2023, 12:22:20 PM »
The US needs to sue Canada over this.
 :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2023, 09:19:07 PM »
While not as bad as Chicago or Detroit, St. Louis was not in good shape this morning.  Funny thing was that it got worse later in the morning (9 am-noon) but then started to break up.

It was better than most summer days around here. Now the morning after was rough - very humid.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2023, 09:47:52 PM »
You going to take your sister?

?

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2023, 09:49:41 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2023, 09:54:02 PM »
"A moose once bit my sister"

Crap, Monty Python. I thought it was a reference to Letter Kenny or Trailer Park Boys.

No seriously, stand destroying fires will allow a explosion of moose, deer and black bears. Probably grouse too.

Uranus is a gas giant.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2023, 08:16:19 AM »
Went into East Dundee IL today (west Chicago burb).

Leaving Freeport, I'd estimate visibility at about a mile.  It's actually somewhat clearer here (in ED).
Not to hijack this thread, but . . .East Dundee? Decades ago when I still lived in Chicago there used to be a rifle range there - I think it was called Fox Valley Range. (This was back in the '70s.) Pretty big place, associated gun shop. Is it still there or has it been paved over into another subdivision during the intervening years?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2023, 09:54:33 AM »
It's been brutal in NW Indiana.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.