Author Topic: MiG-23 down in Michigan  (Read 1442 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
MiG-23 down in Michigan
« on: August 14, 2023, 07:53:02 AM »
American (I'm assuming) owned MiG-23 crashes during an air show in MI after it appeared to catch fire in flight. Both on board ejected safely. Plane crashed into vehicles in an Apartment building's parking lot, no one hurt thankfully.

I've always liked the looks of the 23, not the greatest aircraft but it had a workman like look to it.

Pilots eject from crashing MiG-23 jet during Thunder Over Michigan air show: video
https://www.foxnews.com/us/pilots-eject-crashing-mig-23-aircraft-thunder-michigan-air-show-video

Moment pilots eject from MIG-23 fighter jet seconds before it crashes into apartment building parking lot during Detroit air show
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12402913/Pilot-ejects-moment-crashing-building-near-Willow-Run-airport-Michigan-air-show.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Re: MiG-23 down in Michigan
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 08:12:34 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 08:15:20 AM »
More info

Mig 23 Ejection Thunder Over Michigan Airshow 13 Aug 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrDWpQMRK2U
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 08:15:57 AM »
Glad no one was killed.

I guess those Russian jets are having a hard time staying in the air anywhere in the world.  Anyone know where Zelenskyy was yesterday?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 08:23:09 AM »
Some nice views of the the MiG-23 that crashed.

BTW: Title states the only MiG-23 Flogger (Flogger was the NATO code name) in US airspace. It's not the only one in the US though it may have been the only one flying.

Before it CRASHED at Thunder Over Michigan - LOST the only MiG-23 Flogger in US Airspace 08/13/2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KilG7dg-Yak
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 01:01:28 PM »
Slava Ukraini!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 01:02:24 PM »
I used to get some very up close and personal view of MIG-23s carrying both heat seekers and radar guided missile slung below the wings during excursions into the Sea of Okhotsk. We would just fly straight and level while exchanging sign language pleasantries with the Soviet pilots. It was a pretty business looking airplane. Every now and then we would get a MIG 25 to come play intercepts with us as we motored away from the area. I used to have some great pictures but they came up missing after my divorce. It is a shame this one crashed, it was a nice draw to airshows.

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2023, 05:52:41 PM »
According to this the pilot was diagnosing a issue with the engine afterburner and was turning to land when the rear seater told him we need to eject. The pilot replied he was not ready to eject but the rear seater then pulled his ejection handle which in the 23 fires both seats.

MiG-23 Air Show Crash Preliminary Report Released
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XkDRlpLeY4
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 06:12:17 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2023, 11:20:51 PM »
According to this the pilot was diagnosing a issue with the engine afterburner and was turning to land when the rear seater told him we need to eject. The pilot replied he was not ready to eject but the rear seater then pulled his ejection handle which in the 23 fires both seats.

MiG-23 Air Show Crash Preliminary Report Released
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XkDRlpLeY4

That makes sense. Despite reports that the plane was on fire in the air, I didn't see it in the videos. What I saw was the burst of flame as each seat ejected.

It may be that a rare (in the U.S.) aircraft was lost for no valid reason.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2023, 08:09:40 PM »
Bit more info in this video
Engine had possible flame out and the plane was about to stall at time of ejection according to the rear seater.
Of note another pilot had previously had a flame out in the same plane but he was able to relight.

Mig 23 Ejection UPDATE NTSB Prelim More Details
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP8M3WRj7F8
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2023, 09:05:37 PM »
Brownie is talking about a flameout, but the report doesn't say the engine flamed out, it says the afterburner didn't ignite. There's a big difference.

I guess I'll wait for the final report.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2023, 08:41:57 AM »
Brownie is talking about a flameout, but the report doesn't say the engine flamed out, it says the afterburner didn't ignite. There's a big difference.

I guess I'll wait for the final report.

Caught that, why I said possible, could have been a flame out maybe not. Appears the front and rear seaters stories may differ a touch on just what was going on with the engine or the report and it's presentation just makes it seem that way. Time should tell.

Edit: Rewatched a bit and he  does say stuck at idle then says flame out immediately after. So yeah
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 10:11:39 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2023, 09:38:27 AM »
Some nice views of the the MiG-23 that crashed.

BTW: Title states the only MiG-23 Flogger (Flogger was the NATO code name) in US airspace. It's not the only one in the US though it may have been the only one flying.

Before it CRASHED at Thunder Over Michigan - LOST the only MiG-23 Flogger in US Airspace 08/13/2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KilG7dg-Yak

Read a story the other day that stated the rear seater owns a Mig-23 himself and is qualified in the aircraft.  His Mig-23 is the single seat version, versus the twin seat trainer version he ejected from.  He would have had a full set of flight instruments in the back seat of the crashed Flogger, and being very familiar with the aircraft himself, his opinion of the severity of the problem may have differed significantly from that of the pilot.
The crashed aircraft had also suffered a fuel pump issue on a previous recent flight before the issue that was behind the crash.
I suspect we'll hear a lot more about it before things quiet down.
According to that story there is a third privately owned flight worthy Mig-23 somewhere in the US, though it didn't elaborate on the number of seats.  The one that crashed may have just been the only two-seater.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2023, 09:53:38 AM »
Is it more dangerous ejecting during a stall vs just before?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2023, 10:06:52 AM »

Guy in the second video says the seats in the 23 don't have auto gimbaling so they can't right themselves after ejection so they stay in whatever orientation you popped out in. It's always best to eject while you still have some control of the plane's orientation especially low and in this case it may have been critical. If the plane had rolled or pitched down suddenly their chutes may not have opened in time.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 10:19:04 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2023, 10:14:18 PM »

Better to eject while you are still well in the seat’s envelope and have the best attitude possible. Maybe the front seater could have saved it or maybe the rear seater saved both of their lives by not being emotionally invested in the aircraft and willing to risk more in the attempt.

Depending on how unforgiving flight characteristics are a stall might immediately be followed by a spin or even a roll or other nastiness.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2023, 01:57:31 AM »
Read a story the other day that stated the rear seater owns a Mig-23 himself and is qualified in the aircraft.  His Mig-23 is the single seat version, versus

More proof that we can't rely on the media. What I've read is that the rear seater is a former military pilot, but NOT type-certified for the MiG-23. He was pursuing type certification.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2023, 01:59:30 AM »
Depending on how unforgiving flight characteristics are a stall might immediately be followed by a spin or even a roll or other nastiness.

I'm not a pilot, but there have been several in the family so I know a little. What I have read informs me that the MiG-23 has a sudden and virtually unrecoverable stall.