Author Topic: What Caliber for Snowballs?  (Read 7454 times)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
What Caliber for Snowballs?
« on: December 20, 2009, 08:25:39 PM »
Cop tries to stop a group of snowball warriors, gets hit, pulls a gun, and calls in backup.  :laugh:

http://www.nbcwashington.com/weather/stories/Eyewitness_Confirms__Cop_Freaks_Out_Over_Snowball_Fight_Waves_Gun-79729162.html
Cop Admits to Pulling Gun on Snowballers
Cop says on video he pulled a gun because he was hit with a snowball
By TERESA MASTERSON
Updated 3:39 PM EST, Sun, Dec 20, 2009
A plainclothes police detective allegedly pulled his gun out and waved it at a large group of people in a snowball fight at the corner of 14th and U Streets NW Saturday afternoon.

An off-duty member of the Metropolitan Police Dept. was reportedly driving his car in the area when the car was suddenly pelted with a barrage of snowballs, according to a statement from the MPD.

The detective stopped his car, got out and approached a crowd of people that might have thrown the snowballs. He then got into a verbal fight with members of the crowd, according to police.

At some point, the detective called for assistance. According to witnesses, one of the uniformed officers that responded pulled out his weapon as he approached the plainclothes detective. As soon as the detective identified himself, the uniformed officer put his gun back in the holster, police said.

In a video posted to YouTube, the police officer identifies himself as “Detective Baylor” and in response to someone saying that he pulled a gun on a snowball fight, he says:

“Yes, I did because I got hit with snowballs.”

MPD claims the footage does not show the detective drawing his weapon, but they have since received additional images and statements that would seem to support that allegation.

According to 3D Commander George Kusik, the uniformed officer conducted himself appropriately.

The incident between the detective and the snowball-throwing crowd is still under investigation.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: What Caliber for Snowballs?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 08:33:07 PM »
Not the first time that DC cops have abused their authority.  Hope this one gets tossed in the slam, but I bet he gets a slap on the back of the hand.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 10:55:38 PM »
Didn't this happen in Boston once?

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 11:26:14 PM »

Indeed.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 11:27:13 PM »
Well, at least he didn't properly use the word, "niggardly" in a sentence. 

THAT would have been unforgivable.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 12:11:02 AM »

I see what you did there.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 09:19:19 AM »
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 09:28:45 AM »

lol...
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 09:33:45 AM »
They hit your car with a snow ball, you pull a gun.  It's the Boston way!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 10:03:49 AM »
I'm confused.  Did the uniformed cop draw on the plain clothes officer or on the snowballers?  

I would also guess that legally, hitting a cop or other person with snowballs would constitute assault of some kind.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 03:01:05 PM »
I'm confused.  Did the uniformed cop draw on the plain clothes officer or on the snowballers?  

Saw this on the news when I was getting lunch.  He's not in 'uniform', but it's blatently obvious that he's a cop.  He never points it at anybody and shortly puts it away.

Given that we don't see why he pulled it, I'm willing to put it down as 'situational' pending further information. 

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 04:16:13 PM »
I would also guess that legally, hitting a cop or other person with snowballs would constitute assault of some kind.

But until the cop escalated the situation by getting out of his car, it was just snowballs hitting the car.  Who cares that that's technically an assault?  Tim to put on his big boy pants and deal with having a couple snowballs hit his car. 

Unless they hit the windshield, I guess.  That could be a slightly more serious hazard.  Slightly. 

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 04:38:01 PM »
i saw the video too, and i don't get the "obviously a cop bit". until he got his radio out, it was just a black guy with a gun.  ???

the other officers came out with drawn weapons because they didn't know it was a cop. the holstered when they found out who it was.

and the off duty cop looked like he was just being a four legged equine, with the authority of the badge to back him up.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 04:59:32 PM »

Longer version of the video: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAgQKJuriIo

Nice Hummer.  Must be well paid.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 05:20:54 PM »
Hmm, lots of stupidity going on in that situation.

Throwing snowballs at vehicles is something their parents should have taught them not to do by age 3.   But the cop pulled a pistol because of it, then assaulted one person, and picked a seemingly random person out of the crowd to arrest.  He might get in deep doo-doo over that, and I won't shed any tears if he does.

I do applaud the crowd for standing up to a cop with a superiority complex.  But when someone pulls a gun, staying there and taunting him may not be conducive to one's health. :/  

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 05:36:43 PM »
I do applaud the crowd for standing up to a cop with a superiority complex.  But when someone pulls a gun, staying there and taunting him may not be conducive to one's health. :/  

I dunno, after watching the video, I am kinda' delighted with the crowd.  A little civil unrest is a good thing from time to time, and if they are willing to stand to up to an armed cop to point out the rampant asshattery in his actions, more power to them. 

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 05:45:24 PM »
I dunno, after watching the video, I am kinda' delighted with the crowd.  A little civil unrest is a good thing from time to time, and if they are willing to stand to up to an armed cop to point out the rampant asshattery in his actions, more power to them.  

I agree.  I'm very delighted with them.    Have to insert that note of caution though.  If someone is willing to pull a gun over something so minor, what might happen next?  Fortunately nobody got hurt.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 05:50:09 PM by Declaration Day »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 05:56:14 PM »
For some reason I pictured them throwing snowballs after he got out of the car, but I guess that is not the case.  I was trying to imagine my reaction if I was walking along and a bunch of people I didn't know pelted me with a bunch of snowballs.  :)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 06:02:03 PM »
A bunch of GW students calling the cops names - they are going to be showing this video at parties for the next four years.

The expletives were out of line.  But yeah, having the gun unholstered was ridiculous, and I think Det. Baylor expected it would quiet the crowd but instead it enraged them.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 06:28:16 PM »
Suppose that a private citizen with a valid CCW permit (I know, it's D.C., but humor me) reacted the way Detective Baylor did.  How would the police respond then?

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 06:47:50 PM »
"Don't bring a gun to a snowball fight! Don't bring a gun to a snowball fight!"

Absolutely priceless!  I agree with Bridgewalker.  The authorities of DeeCee are among the worst when it comes to civil rights.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 11:12:17 PM »
The police... acted stupidly.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 12:14:11 AM »
For some reason I pictured them throwing snowballs after he got out of the car, but I guess that is not the case.

Incorrect.

Watch the video again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAgQKJuriIo

Check out the young scofflaw at 45 seconds, hurl a snowball right into the armed cop's face.

That...
1.  He's identified himself as an officer, allegedly.  Shoddy proof from a long distance, but he has a gun and radio and "something shiny" on his belt and declared himself a cop.
2.  Constitutes assault on a police officer.

The Danny Glover wannabe needs a recto-cranial inversion and needs his badge stripped for pulling a gun in the first place over snowballs... but those kids need to understand you don't throw snowballs at either armed cops, armed whackos, or armed whacko-cops.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 12:33:18 AM »
Evidently Danny Glover got his gun and badge pulled, and he got some desk duty pending further review. :lol:
--Lysander Spooner

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 10:06:18 AM »

In all fairness to our British friends I'll point out that "The Boston Massacre" has never been aknowledged by the bulk of American historians to be the travesty of justice that patriots, demagogues and pop historians made it out to be. Use your lawyer's eye and read Adams summation..

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/bostonmassacre/adamssummation.html

"Kent State" was a good parallel I think to the "Boston Massacre". Essentially a dangerous violent mob combined with a lapse in military/police discipline leading to tragedy.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"