Author Topic: This is why monkeys aren't allowed in polite society  (Read 7452 times)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: This is why monkeys aren't allowed in polite society
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 02:28:36 PM »
In my 38 years on this earth, including all the time spent biking, the vast majority of loose dog incidents have been with dogs owned by 'po white trash'.  I don't know what makes the Hispanics in my area better about this, but they either don't let their dogs run loose or they're extremely well behaved.

Education.  Not formal, but practical.  Perhaps by the time they've immigrated as far as VA, they've learned what behaviors to avoid to not draw attention.  It's been mentioned to me (by Hispanic friends!) that the slowest drivers on the road are illegals trying to avoid contact with the law. I note that sometimes they are so slow that they're likely to draw attention from blocking traffic in all 3 lanes.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 02:39:09 PM »
Absolutely.

But the "service animal" thing is easy to get away with. When I worked at Wal-Mart I was specifically briefed that if somebody said an animal of ANY type was a service animal, we could not question them. So someone could bring their pet in and say it was a service animal and we couldn't say boo.

To shed a little light, here's a bit from a FAQ put up by the FTA for bus drivers:

Question:

Where can I find detailed information regarding service animals and also if operaters are allowed to ask if an animal is service trained?

Answer:

Under 49 C.F.R. § 37.167(d) of the DOT ADA regulations, transit entities are required to permit service animals to accompany individuals with disabilities in vehicles and facilities. The DOT ADA regulations define “service animal” as the following: Service animal means any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability, including, but not limited to, guiding individuals with impaired vision, alerting individuals with impaired hearing to intruders or sounds, providing minimal protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, or fetching dropped items. Service animals are animals that are individually trained to perform tasks for people with disabilities. A transit entity may ask if an animal is a service animal or ask what tasks the animal has been trained to perform, but cannot require special ID cards for the animal or ask about the person’s disability. A service animal may not be excluded unless the animal is out of control and the animal’s owner does not take effective action to control it, or the animal poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others. Assumptions about a how a particular animal is likely to behave, based on past experience with other animals, are not a factor. If an animal’s only function is only to provide emotional support or comfort for the rider, that animal would not fall under the regulatory training-based definition of a service animal. Simply providing comfort is something that animal does passively, by its nature or through the perception of the owner. With that said, nothing in the ADA prevents a transit agency from accommodating pets and comfort animals. Some do, and that would be a local decision.
From: http://ftawebprod.fta.dot.gov/ContactUsTool/Public/FAQs.aspx?CategoryID=4

Note that under the conditions listed, it would be entirely possible for a passenger to board with a "seeing-eye snake."  This topic sometimes takes quite a while to work through with a group of new hires!  =D

DD

(There is talk that the FTA will be adjusting their guidelines to only allow "common pets", excluding "farm animals" etc.  Also, interestingly, there is a trend towards "service horses".  Seems they are easily trained and quite effective.  Oh, and here we're talking about miniature horses. I'm not sure how the FTA will address that if they change their guidelines.
See here for seeing eye horses: http://www.guidehorse.com/)
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 02:58:48 PM »
One of the theories advanced about the amount of control exerted over dogs by suspected illegals is that those folks are leery of anything that brings them to the attention of "the authorities".

I seriously question that theory, seeing how many of them are reported on the TV as having been selected for the DREAM ACT provision that covers free room and board.  The description de` jour has morphed from "a black male between 19 and 25 years old with medium build" to "a Hispanic/Latino male between 19 and 25 years old with medium build."

I'm the grumpy old gringo (formerly honkey) who lives on the corner and sits in the shadows by the back door at all hours of the night.  At least there's one thing in the neighborhood that hasn't changed over the years. =D

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 03:03:45 PM »
AZR44 could have been describing both my area and the family/families cohabitating with the ankle biters in question. 

Two mini-dachs and one fluffy critter, all of which are brought out into the un-fenced front yard without a leash.  No biggie for a well-behaved dog, but these regularly make a bee-line for folks walking by on the sidewalk. 

A couple times when my kids & I were walking by.  Once when my daughter rode by on her little bike with training wheels, once when my son was scootering by on his...scooter.  This last time, fluffy dog chased him back to our yard and the beast suck its head through my picket fence to yap and snarl.  I could have ended it right there with one kick to the side of its head & snapped its neck on the picket, but I am too much a softy.  Next time, Fluffy gets to meet its Dear and Fluffy Lord.

If questioned, remember that whatever happened was  "an instinctive and reflexive response".  That was a phrase that covered the backsides of many a person in a position of custodial authority when accused of violating policy/procedure regarding the laying on of hands or hard objects upon the body of those in custody.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 03:06:25 PM »
I seriously question that theory, seeing how many of them are reported on the TV as having been selected for the DREAM ACT provision that covers free room and board.

I'm thinking it would vary by generation, position in the family, and the politics of the area they live in.  A father who is trying to keep a roof over the heads of the family might be more inclined to blend in.  A younger member of the family with no one depending on them might be more adventurous.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.