Author Topic: The APS Quick Recipe Thread  (Read 2524 times)

HForrest

The APS Quick Recipe Thread
« on: July 03, 2005, 03:18:26 AM »
You slide your TV dinner into the microwave, and slam the door closed. However, you find that nothing happens as you press the keypad. "How can this be?", you think. Something is wrong-you have a bad feeling about this. You frantically drop to your hands and knees to check the electrical outlet, and find that the plug to the microwave is soundly in place. "NO!" you yell. Sweat is now beading on your face. You repeatedly smash the keypad with your palm in one last desperate attempt to start your Homestyle Chicken Teryaki. "WORK, damn you!" you scream.

Your microwave is dead- It's real life SHTF, and it's happening to you. What is your course of action?

Why of course! The APS Quick Recipe Thread!

What are some of your favorite easy and fast recipes to fix? Snacks, quick meals, etc. Post ideas here.

-----Quesedillas-----

Vegetable Oil (I use canola)
Flour Tortillas
Cheese
Some sort of meat... leftovers are perfect for this. I like chicken/white meat.

Mix appropriate amount of cheese and meat to your taste in tortilla(s). Fold over if you're using one tortilla or place another tortilla on top, and press down firmly.

In a pan, coat bottom with a thin layer of oil but still able to lightly fry the top and bottom tortillas on your quesedilla (1/8", maybe?). Heat on high until it's at frying temperature (test this by wetting your hands and flicking the tiniest drop of water on the oil... if it sizzles up you're good to go). Fry quesedilla and flip until a deep golden brown on both sides. Slice up, and eat.

The frying, unlike with most quesedillas, makes a wonderful flaky tortilla. And, of course, it's low fat. Umm, yeah, sure.

-----Garlic Bread-----
Olive Oil
Paprika
Garlic

Crush enough garlic for personal preference. Mix in a small bowl with olive oil and paprika (again, to taste). The garlic and paprika should make up a good part of the olive oil, but the mixture should maintain its liquid consistency. Spread the oil mixture on bread (IMO sourdough is best), making sure to get garlic on the bread too. Cover it to preference. Make sure the edges of the bread are coated well, Toast until golden brown and crispy.

Again, it's a great -cough-cough- low fat -cough hack arrghm- food.

So, what recipes do you have to share?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 04:05:28 AM »
Get in car.

Drive to MTNBKR's house.

Eat dinner with him, his wife, and his daughter, who seems to enjoy using me as a jungle gym. Smiley

My favorite quick recipe is actually just some chinese mixed vegetables, a chicken breast cut into pieces, and some KC Masterpiece chicken teriyaki marinade sauce. Cook the chicken, add the vegetables and stir fry until done, then add the marinade and heat. Serve over rice.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 06:44:41 AM »
Cook up some ground beef.  Drain.  Dump in the BBQ sauce of your choice and mix well.  Make sammiches.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 06:56:54 AM »
Boil up some Angel Hair pasta.  In a separate frying pan sautee one or two smashed garlic cloves in olive oil.  The cloves should be in little bits.  Before they turn brown, pour the oil/garlic mixture over the drained spaghetti.  Pour on generous helping of grated Parmesan cheese.  Enjoy.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

bratch

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 07:09:11 AM »
Cut up Hot Link. Cook link. Scramble eggs. Add Hot link, Eggs and grated cheese.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 07:29:47 AM »
Quick stir fry

Canola oil
1/4 head of cabbage, chopped
1/4 of an onion, chopped
A handful each of frozen chopped spinach, broccoli, and corn
1 6oz. can of tuna, drained
a splash of soy sauce
garlic powder, to taste
Tabasco sauce, to taste

Coat a pan with just enough canola oil to cover the bottom. Dump in all of the above, and stir frequently. It's done when the cabbage is slightly wilted but still crunchy.

If you have never liked cabbage, try this. Cabbage is cheap and good for you, and tastes really good cooked like this.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 10:46:37 AM »
Call the Thai joint down the road.  Beautiful young Thai girl will deliver to your door and if you don't pay stomp you into the porch.

YOU PAY NOW!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 12:53:04 PM »
Cut up chicken (breast or thigh meat), cut up potatoes (roughly the same volume as the chicken), chopped up onion half.

Toss it in a pot with a little cream or milk.  Season to taste.  Simmer until the potatoes are soft.  We used to make that when I was a boy scout.  It was better with mutton on venison, but chicken will do just fine.

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 01:26:46 PM »
Let me get this straight - "Serious Situation"  I have no Microwave.  Maybe I have no power , no phone...

- Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches.
-Vienna sausage and tomato sandwiches.
-Open a can of Pears, peaches, fruit cocktail and eat from can...
-I have fruits and veggies I can eat without cooking...

Oh phooey - get in vehicle , see who is open close by...gosh  I hope it is Cracker Barrel.  *grin*

If not...the hosptials are always open, they have great food at two near me, I'll go eat there....I sure hope I hit blackberry cobbler day...

"Yeah and fix me a order to go while you are at it...."

LawDog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 03:15:08 PM »
Texas Chicken Soup:

1.5 pounds of chicken breast, cubed.
1 medium yellow onion, diced.
1 pkt mild taco seasoning.
1 pkt Ranch salad dressing & seasoning mix.
1 can mild Rotel, don't drain.
1 can black beans, don't drain.
1 can chili beans, don't drain.
1 can kidney beans, don't drain.
2 cans whole kernel corn, drain one.
1 can chicken broth.

Put a bit of olive oil in a skillet and brown the chicken and onion.

While chicken and onion is browning, put all your canned stuff in a large pot over medium heat.  Stir in the taco seasoning and the ranch seasoning.

Once chicken and onion are browned, drain and dump into the large pot.

Cover and simmer for one hour.

Top with shredded cheese and serve with tortilla chips.

LawDog

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 03:15:18 PM »
Fry up a skillet full of taters, onions and sausage (preferably antelope).  Break an egg on top, when the egg is ready (preferably sunny side up and runny), serve.

LawDog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2005, 03:30:03 PM »
Felony chicken:

Two whole chickens.
Two cans of beer.
Garlic, limes, poultry seasoning.
Your favorite BBQ rub.

Take your chickens.  Make sure they are defrosted, and the giblets are removed.

Fire up your BBQ grill, find two buddies, hand them each one beer with instructions to lower the level of beer in the can by one-third.

Rub the outside of the chickens generously with your BBR rub.

Sprinkle poultry seasoning on the inside of the birds.

Rap your buddies on the back of the head, and retrieve your half-full cans of beer.  Crush and dump one clove of garlic into each can.  It's going to fizz, it's okay.

Split your lime into quarters and place two quarters on top of each can of beer.

Grease the outside of your beer cans, and insert your chickens onto the beer cans, so that the two legs of the chicken form a tripod with the beer can.  Wait for the inevitable jokes.  ("You know, 'Dog, in some States that would be a felony.")

Carefully place the upright chickens on the grill, close the lid and cook until the juice runs clear at the joints.

Carefully remove the chickens and cans from the grill and very carefully un-violate the chickens.

Slice and serve.

LawDog

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2005, 04:37:03 PM »
Felony chicken
My mother calls that "beer-in-the-butt" chicken.  I usually refuse to make it.  I like your name better.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2005, 06:45:37 PM »
Red beans and rice- easy, quick version.

1 pound/ package of Hilshire Farms or store brand beef sausage or kielbasa.
2 cans of dark red kindney beans
enough instant rice to make it thick, not soupy.
Tabasco, seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder.
Water, as needed.

Cut up the sausage in cross -sectioned pieces, maybe 1/4 rto 1/2 inch thick, then cut again against the radius (make little half-moons, silly).
Put pieces of sausage in a saucepan- mayne a 3 or 4 quart size.  Add water to cover the pile, add chili powder, a little seasoned salt, garlic (lots of this), maybe some salt and plenty of Tabasco. Heat over high heat until the whole mass gets to boiling good and enjoy the aromas.

Once it boils good, add a little more water and continue heating and add both cans of dark red kidney beans.  Once it's at a good rolling boil, throw in about as much instant rice as you think the water will hold.  Turn off the heat, cover the pot and wait about 10 minutes or so for the rice to suck up the water. Stir with a large wooden spoon or other such implement as you have handy.  As soon as it sucks up enough water that it's not real soupy, start doling it out into a bowl and enjoy.  Add additional salt, pepper, and Tabasco as needed.

Ok, now this next one is a secret recipie, learned years ago.  I made it for the folks at work every time we had 'food day' and swore up and down that I'd gotten up at 0300 to start it, working my paws to the bone, so they all felt guilty for not eating up evey drop of it Cheesy

Instead of peeling, stewing, and blending ripe fresh red tomatoes for tomato and basil soup, get a big (I mean insustrial, commercial-kitchen sized) can of the cheapest pizza sauce or pasta sauce you can find on the bulk food isle at your local commisarry.  Empty the contents of that can into a big pot- like a crab boil pot, soup/stock pot, whatever.  To that, add 2 measures of that now empty can full of water into the pot with the sauce and begin to heat it, gently, stirring to keep it from scorching.  Once it begins to hit a near-boil, add in a generous shake of dried basil...for added 'effect', you can use chopped fresh basil. It's all in the subtleties here, folks...and add one quart (or so) of heavy whipping cream, stirring it in while reducing the heat to prevent it from curdling.   Voila...tomato basil soup. It's horribly addictive. he cream gives it the perfect 'mouth'.  Makes enough to feed Cox's army, too. Folks used to ask ahead of time if I was making it because they'd bring jars to take some home with them.  Not for those on a low-sodium diet, though.

There...my secret is out. I've fooled some serious foodies into thinking I cooked or hours to make it. Takes maybe 30 minutes, tops.  Fantastic over pasta, too.

Mangia!mangia!

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 11:18:46 AM »
*Bring, bring*  "Good morning, Law Office of El Tejon."

"Mr. Freeman, it's me Constance.  Cledus done got himself arrested last night."

"Really?  What do they accuse him of Mrs. Jasper Longstreet Lee?"

"Felony Chicken!"

*gasp*
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2005, 12:39:37 PM »
Easy broccolli, chicken & rice

One cup minute rice, uncooked.
One small can diced chicken
One can cream of celery soup
1/2 cup milk
One lb frozen broccoli
One cup shredded cheddar/jack cheese.

Use the amount of water needed to prepare rice, plus 1/2 cup. Add broccoli and bring to a boil. Cook until tender (about 5 minutes). Add minute rice and prepare according to directions. Remove from heat. Stir in milk, soup, and cheese. Pepper to taste.

Also, easy microwave rice.

1 cup enriched long-grain rice
1 pat butter
tsp salt
spice to taste

Pour rice into a microwave safe quart bowl (a Pyrex glass quart measuring cup works PERFECT!)
Add two and 1/2 cups HOT water. Put in salt and butter. Place in microwave on HIGH until it starts to boil. Stir once. Microwave on HIGH for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from microwave and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork, if desired.

The great thing about this is you can add different seasonings for taste. For variations I've use chili powder, curry powder, Emeril's Essence, worchestershire sauce, and even a little cane syrup & red pepper once (don't knock it, it was pretty tasty - mildly sweet & hot).

You might want to invest in a personal size George Foreman grill. I LOVE mine. In the time it would take to get out the skillet and get it (hopefully) the right temp, I can have some chicken, beef, or veggies cooked and ready on the little grill. Just plug it in. It only takes a minute or two to heat and it automatically holds temp. It will cook a small steak to medium rare in about a minute or a burger patty or chicken breast to completely done in about two and a half minutes. Cleanup is a breeze. Just let it cool for a couple of minutes and wipe with a damp towel. Done.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2005, 04:07:16 PM »
Around this launch site we stir-fry darn near anything.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2005, 06:47:34 AM »
Quick and D*mn Good Mashed Potatoes--Serves Two Normal People or One Hungry S.O.B. Cheesy

2 potatoes (Russet, red, whatever)
8 strips of bacon (your preference of brand/type... NOT that microwave junk)
1/2 cup Jack Daniels
1/2 onion, diced/ sliced/ whathaveyou
2 tbsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil

Cook off alcohol in Jack Daniels (note to smokers and those who use gas stoves: DON'T!). Pour off into separate container and set aside.

Cook the bacon.  Save the grease.  Crumble 7 of the strips into pieces, and eat the 8th. (You know you want to... Wink )  Mix the grease and reduced Jack Daniels.

Don't peel the potatoes, but cut 'em into ~1" cubes and boil until they begin to get soft.  Add the onion.  Drain all but ~1/8th cup of the water.  Mash lightly.

Add garlic and Jack Daniels/grease mixture. Continue to mash as garlic is added.

Sneak a taste.  See if it needs salt.  Add some if it does.  Add some oil if it looks too dry.  Mix in about half the bacon pieces.  Sprinke the rest on top, and eat with either cold iced sweet tea or Dr. Pepper.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams