Author Topic: Roger Waters is "anti semite." Yeah, whatever  (Read 7911 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Roger Waters is "anti semite." Yeah, whatever
« on: July 25, 2013, 03:34:57 PM »
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4409388,00.html

“I came to the concert because I really like his music, without any connection to his political stance toward Israel,” says Alon Onfus Asif, an Israeli living in Belgium. “And I had a lot of fun, until I noticed the Star of David, on the inflatable pig. That was the only religious-national symbol which appeared among other symbols for fascism, dictatorships and oppression of people. Waters crossed the line and gave expression to an anti-Semitic message, beyond all his messages of anti-militancy.”

Open your *expletive deleted* eyes, you *expletive deleted* moron. 

Quote from: V
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

Disengage your gorram selective hearing and seeing and sense of perception, and SEE.

He's not an anti-semite.

This concert, this album, this movie, has always been anti-ism.  All isms.  I went to this concert when it was here in Phoenix.

That pig has the hammer and sickle on it, the US $ sign, the cross, the star of david, major corporate logos like Shell and Mercedes-Benz, and a lot of other stuff.

Just because the pig gored your particular ox, doesn't mean that it's any less valid.

The pig has had many manifestations and messages:

But the consistent message is always the dismantling of totalitarianism and group-think.

Watch Good-Bye Blue Sky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02be792DtEA

The American Eagle becomes a vulture swooping in from above like death itself.  Americans don't piss and moan about that.

Watch the video on the Wall at the concert during this song... B52's are dropping crosses and stars of david and dollar signs and hammer/sickles and corporate logos as their deadly ordnance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I4O0852u6U

It's all about isms.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 03:39:39 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Roger Waters is "anti semite." Yeah, whatever
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 03:45:37 PM »
Watch Good-Bye Blue Sky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02be792DtEA

The American Eagle becomes a vulture swooping in from above like death itself.  Americans don't piss and moan about that.

Because that's the German eagle, confirmed by animator Gerald Scarfe.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 03:50:16 PM »
Because that's the German eagle, confirmed by animator Gerald Scarfe.

OK, I'll yield that.  Originally written with a heavy WWII focus on the first few songs of the album, them being a Brit band from the 70's and children of the WWII generation.

But the modern manifestation of the concert is no longer WWII focused.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 04:15:51 PM »
Roger Waters is Anti-"Occupation".  Whatever that means to him but from what I have read he is against Israel's "occupation" of Palestinian lands...again, not defined. 

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »
Roger Waters is Anti-"Occupation".  Whatever that means to him but from what I have read he is against Israel's "occupation" of Palestinian lands...again, not defined. 

i'd like to hear his response if pressed to clarify  [popcorn] >:D
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 05:25:05 PM »
i'd like to hear his response if pressed to clarify  [popcorn] >:D

Waters said that the images used in the concert are "representative of religious and national and commercial interests, all of which have a malign influence on our lives and prevent us from treating each other decently".

He added that accusations of anti-Semitism are "a screen" that the ADL hides behind. "I don't think they should be taken seriously on that. You can attack Israeli policy without being anti-Jewish," Waters said. "It's like saying if you criticise the US policy you are being anti-Christian. I'm critical of the Israeli policy of occupying Palestinian land and their policy of building settlements, which is entirely illegal under international law, and also of ghettoising the people whose land they are building on."

"It's that foreign policy I'm against. It's nothing to do with the religion," Waters explained in The Independent.

http://www.jpost.com/Arts-and-Culture/Music/Roger-Waters-Im-not-anti-Semitic-Im-anti-occupation

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 06:52:41 PM »
There are people out there that jump at every opportunity to be offended.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 07:23:15 PM »

Like Mr. Waters, apparently. He seems to be taking offense to just about everything.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 07:37:12 PM »
Politically - all of Pink Floyd are freaking idiots ( as far as I can tell ) - but they were a superb musical genius ( collectively ) at one time.
I like DSOTM  & WYWH .... well "like" is subjective, there are hardly words to describe how much I like those two albums and various live versions.

The same with some Beatles/ and George Harrison john Lennon solo stuff.

politically, 99% of successful rock musicians are naive idiots but due to their wealth and fame and yes-men surrounding them, they'll never know.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 08:02:10 PM »

Painting the Star of David on the side of a giant pig strikes me as calculated to offend.

A broader question: is anyone else tired of entertainers using their shows as bully pulpits for their pet sociopolitical peeves?  If I buy a ticket to your concert, I'm paying you to entertain me, not to be subjected to your rants on global warming/Iraq/Iran/nuclear power/Trayvon Martin/gun control/abortion/globalization/etc.[1]  So hop to it.  And don't forget the encore.

[1]: if the event has an overt political/social theme, that's a different matter.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 10:29:03 PM »
Painting the Star of David on the side of a giant pig strikes me as calculated to offend.

A broader question: is anyone else tired of entertainers using their shows as bully pulpits for their pet sociopolitical peeves?  If I buy a ticket to your concert, I'm paying you to entertain me, not to be subjected to your rants on global warming/Iraq/Iran/nuclear power/Trayvon Martin/gun control/abortion/globalization/etc.[1]  So hop to it.  And don't forget the encore.

[1]: if the event has an overt political/social theme, that's a different matter.

Agreed. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 10:58:47 PM »
Meh, so what if he is?  He's a pinhead limey musician.

I have no beef with Jews or Israel, but many can be hyper-sensitive pains in the ass (like many other professional ethnics who jump at any opportunity to take offense).  Some make their living taking offense and searching under every bed for Nazis.  (Yes, Abe Foxman, I am looking at YOU.)  Waters & Floyd used plenty of anti-Christian imagery but no articles are posted about how whiny Christians are all butthurt over Floyd.  Pffft!  I say get over it and get on with your life.

It has come to the point that racists are less obnoxious than the anti-racists.  Or should I point out that most "anti-racists" are just anti-racist regarding some races?  Well, like Roger Waters.  I bet he stumbles over himself to be careful regarding anti-black imagery and would get horrifically obnoxious and self-righteous about it, but may very well be an anti-semite.

These days, anti-racism is ethnic hucksterism, not a search for justice or tolerance.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 11:02:04 PM »

It has come to the point that racists are less obnoxious than the anti-racists. 

This.

Or should I point out that most "anti-racists" are just anti-racist regarding some races? 

This, too, but not just race. Imagine if Waters vilified homosexuality in the way he vilifies religion. He would never work again.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 11:13:27 PM »

[1]: Have you listened to "The Wall" from beginning to end, seen the movie, or been to the concert?  That's EXACTLY what it is.  Essentially a musical/animated equivalent of Orwell's 1984.

This is one pinhead disliking one particular component of the imagery.  I'm sure he had no problem whatsoever with the crosses, or the crescent moons.  It's only HIS ox getting gored that has him up in arms.
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 10:40:48 AM »
lol, something else from the article:

The pig’s hind quarters appear to feature a silhouette of a man giving a Nazi salute.

zOMG!  Teh horrorz!  Teh Godwinz!

They mean this:

The back right leg.

It's that image of two men, one holding a bag of money or something and the other holding a gun to his head.  I can't quite make out the text, but I think it says "CAPITALISM."

However, even if it WAS a man giving a Nazi salute, the pig is a manifestation of all forms of collectivism used to divide individuals against one another.  Perfectly natural for a swastika to be on there somewhere.  Probably is, and no one has seen it yet.

Frankly, I really like this recent development (a change between when I saw the concert in 2010 and today):

The hammers have a bit of a blue tint to them, making the striding hammer logo not unlike the Obama campaign logo.
--Lysander Spooner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 10:49:38 AM »
When I saw this thread's title, my first thought was "Who the heck is Roger Waters, and why should I care?"

OK, he was with Pink Floyd . . . fine. Them I've heard of.

But a little more research shows he supported the Gaza Freedom March, the boycott, divestment, and sactions movement against Israel, and termed the Israeli West bank barrier an "obscenity" . . . also opposes Israel for building on "other people's land."  (Wonder who he thinks built the Temple Mount in the first place.)

He's not anti-Semitic in the same way that "cracker" isn't a racial term.

Oh, and he also supports Bradley Manning.

(For someone who appears to hate the $$$ since it's on his pig . . . wonder how much he hauls in from his concerts?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 01:44:29 PM »
I find it funny that someone who makes money via Capitalism, is protesting (see the pig) it at this concert, that people paid money to go see....

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »
He doesn't strike me as anti-Semite as in anti-Semite.

I do see an economy sized, grade AA libtard jackass, though.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 03:22:43 PM »
I've been to many, many Pink Floyd concerts.

I still go to those sans Roger Waters, because he doesn't strike me as elemental to the music and sound of the band in general.  David Gilmour and crew have done just fine without him.

I remember the unadorned pig getting his undercarriage hung up in the field goal posts at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison some years ago.

I also remember how thick the wacky tobacco smoke was, with me coughing and sneezing from secondhand doobie smoke (allergic to the stuff, a poor stoner I'd make).

I really sweated the fact that I had a random urinalysis courtesy of my squadron a few days later. I had my ticket stub ready in case I got a call from the orderly room...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 03:40:13 PM »
People need to stop paying attention to anything ADL says.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 10:09:56 PM »
I can't remember when exactly but a little over ten yrs ago a young college age friend of mine helped organize a pro Israeli demonstration on the campus of  San Francisco State University, the local ADL was there and confused as to how the guy in the NRA hat got there and was on the same side.
... they're imbeciles.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."