Author Topic: Roger Stone  (Read 5473 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Roger Stone
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2020, 02:03:50 PM »
It has been a while for me, but I thought they did sort of group thing before we answer questions from the lawyers.   I can't remember what it was.  Either way, that is sort of a standard.  If you are arguing shades of truth, it seems to me it is no longer the whole truth and nothing but that.
I've done two jury selections and was picked once.  I think when I was selected we had to swear or affirm that we would fairly determine the outcome of the trial or something, and follow the instructions of the court but I don't recall taking an oath prior to jury tampering ... er ... selection.  Also I think the questionnaire mentioned something about perjury if it wasn't answered correctly, but I might be wrong on that.

I don't get the impression she was being particularly open or honest, but without seeing her responses to the written questionnaire I'm not sure I can say she lied outright or violated an oath.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2020, 03:15:41 PM »
I've gotten rejected for jury duty because I told the Judge that I did not agree with the law.  They asked, and I answered.  It you lie during these questions you can get in trouble.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2020, 03:44:13 PM »
I've gotten rejected for jury duty because I told the Judge that I did not agree with the law.  They asked, and I answered.  It you lie during these questions you can get in trouble.

I just said my favorite book was Dosteyevski's "Crime and Punishment".  Should bring my copy to read next time I get summoned.
Formerly sumpnz

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2020, 04:22:32 PM »
I didn't even get to the voyer dearie part.  I answered their summoning letter by saying no amount of legal bludgeoning would dissuade me from the right of jury nullification.

People say I shirked my civic duty, but I figure my civic duty lay in not finding someone guilty of a law which I thought was stupid or wrong.

There was a case about 10-15 years ago (before pot became legal) where some young lady claimed she would follow the law, and hung up "her" jury on a cut-and-dried pot violation.  "They" gave her all kinds of crap including perjury charges, but I think "they" dropped most of them in favor of letting her clean up a local highway for a week or something like that.

Jury nullification is a hot topic anytime it comes up, and laws against it have been passed. It would be ironic if a case of someone violating the jury nullification law got off because one of the jurors disagreed with that law.

Tee-hee.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2020, 04:40:43 PM »
One of my K9 handler friends got a 2020 circuit court jury qualification form today.

Pretty sure he won't be selected.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2020, 05:16:31 PM »
One of my K9 handler friends got a 2020 circuit court jury qualification form today.

Pretty sure he won't be selected.

Oddly, I received a jury summons yesterday. The profile form questions seem designed to ascertain whether you have been involved in any civil or criminal cases, actually still live in the jurisdiction and as above-mentioned, your or your families occupation potentially being ones often involved in legal proceedings.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2020, 05:42:54 PM »
This Fox News opinion piece has a run down of the jury forewomans tweets and political involvement as well as some other relevant bits of info.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/roger-stone-juror-justice-department-anti-trump-social-media
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2020, 08:26:34 AM »
Once again, the article may be missing critical information. However, if the article is accurate, it's implying that Judge Amy Jackson took it upon herself to deny the Stone request for a new judge?

Regardless of if she is biased or not, is it normal for the judge accused of bias to make the call on their own recusal? I would have expected a different judge would be doing that.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/judge-amy-berman-jackson-roger-stone-recusal-request-denied
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2020, 11:38:02 AM »
Once again, the article may be missing critical information. However, if the article is accurate, it's implying that Judge Amy Jackson took it upon herself to deny the Stone request for a new judge?

Regardless of if she is biased or not, is it normal for the judge accused of bias to make the call on their own recusal? I would have expected a different judge would be doing that.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/judge-amy-berman-jackson-roger-stone-recusal-request-denied

I think that is normal. However, her refusal shows her innate bias.

For comparison: A number of years ago I was in court to testify as an expert witness in a construction defects case. When the trial was called, the two attorneys made their introductions and introduced their clients. The judge looked at the plaintiff and asked if he operated a swimming pool company. When he replied that he did, the judge apologized and said that, because his company had cleaned her swimming pool several years prior, she felt there was a relationship and that she should recuse herself. That was it for that day -- we all came back a few weeks later, when the case was heard by a different judge.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2020, 09:41:38 AM »
https://dailycaller.com/2020/02/24/tomeka-hart-roger-stone-juror-questionnaire/

More lies.

Again, done like a lawyer1 so she can claim she didn't "lie", she just couldn't remember.

1: She IS a lawyer, so this was clearly done to protect herself from perjury charges. The law will have a hard time proving she was lying, but that doesn't mean I have to believe her obvious Clintonesque "I can't recall" bull.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2020, 09:11:35 AM »
Related as this is one of the prosecutors that resigned over the sentencing issue.

https://justthenews.com/government/courts-law/declassified-fbi-memos-undercut-mueller-team-claims-papadopoulos-hindered
Declassified FBI memos undercut Mueller team claims that Papadopoulos hindered Russia probe

It appears he was one of the team that signed a sentencing memo recommending Papadopoulos be imprisoned for hindering the investigation yet the declassified FBI interview memos indicate he was very cooperative and working with the FBI.  

IMO, it shows the prosecutor is just a deep state tool playing political games. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge