Author Topic: Cold set to snap city record.  (Read 699 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Cold set to snap city record.
« on: November 28, 2006, 06:08:32 PM »
The "Global Warming" criers have another weather report to come up with an explanation for.  I guess they will say it is because of global warming that the weather is setting cold records, so early in the year.

They haven't explained why the hurrican season was without a record number hurricans as predicted, except possibly, the sand storms from the Africa coast could have dampened the hurrican build up.

Cold set to snap city record.
Environment Canada says such low temperatures unusual for this time of year
http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2006/11/28/2530545-sun.html
By TARINA WHITE, CALGARY SUN

Dave Koiter bundles up to take on the task of wiping off his windshield yesterday as more snow fell on Calgary. Strong winds combined with blowing snow and frigid temperatures to create treacherous driving conditions throughout the city. (Stuart Dryden/Calgary sun) 
The arctic deep freeze trapping Calgary is on track to break a 110-year-old weather record today, but the bitter cold is expected to ease in the coming days.

With a forecast low of -31C today, Calgary could break the -27C record set on this day in 1896.

But factoring in the wind chill, it will feel even colder to people who have to brave the elements, said Environment Canada meteorologist Ross Macdonald.

"I wouldn't break out the shorts and go sunbathing right now," he joked.

"Bundle up."

The recent frigid weather is a far cry from the city's average late-November temperatures.

Macdonald said the normal daytime high at this time of year is 0C, with a low of -11C.

"The last time it was really this cold in November was about 10 years ago," he said.

"We've hit rock bottom."

It's even been too frosty to ski, with Canada Olympic Park shutting the hill yesterday in the name of safety.

Spokesman Chris Dornan said, to his knowledge, it's the first year the weather has forced a November closure.

"It's normally in January or February," he said.

Meanwhile, blowing snow likely contributed to a crash near Sylvan Lake yesterday that claimed the life of a 42-year-old motorist.

And the icy snap has the Calgary Humane Society scrambling to respond to an avalanche of calls from residents concerned about distressed animals, said spokeswoman Cheryl Wallach.

"The Calgary Humane Society is calling on all Calgary pet owners to use common sense and not leave animals outside without adequate shelter," she said.

The frigid weather is expected to improve by Thursday, with a predicted high of -7C.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
Re: Cold set to snap city record.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 08:05:56 PM »
The forecast for tonight is -16, which will break the record set in 1975. Global warming? I live in Montana where it is warm for 3-4 months. police (gratuitious cop smiley).
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 09:08:24 PM »
We're unseasonably cold here as well.  Time to go outside and idle the truck while burning garbage.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 03:35:17 AM »
It has been unseasonably warm here in the Chicagoland area, by now we should consistantly be in the 20F-40Fs, but we are in the 40-60s. As I understand it, one dry spell, wet spell, hurricane, cold spell, hot spell really has nothing to do with Global Warming. The intention is not to predict the weather, but trends.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!