Author Topic: Making old headlight lenses look new  (Read 1792 times)

digitalandanalog

• friend
Making old headlight lenses look new
« on: February 08, 2009, 08:50:22 PM »
I drive a 16 year old car and the factory headlight lenses are looking rather opaque these days.

The cost to replace them is more than I would like to pay (several hundreds of dollars for new ones :mad:) and was hoping that at the bare minimum there could be a way to polish them up so that the are a lot more clear looking. I have no idea how much the plastic has yellowed, but I do know that 168,000 miles worth of scratches hasn't helped any.

Any advice?

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Making old headlight lenses look new
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 08:54:08 PM »
I cleaned up a pair years ago but I can't remember what I used. You could try some fine cut compound. Or maybe a glazing compound. Just try a little spot first.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

robear

• friend

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 09:44:01 PM »
I've used Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish to do this.  Takes some time, but the results are worth it.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 10:10:55 PM »
I've used polishes like Mothers and liquid rouge before. I also buy micromesh kits as I am experienced in making aircraft canopies look new. So, if you can find a sandpaper greater than 2000 grit that would be a good start. Be sure to wet sand, dry sanding makes heat and more haze. Move up in grit if you can get the stuff, the kits go to 8000 grit but something like 6000 would be plenty. Finish with a polish or a not so aggressive rubbing compound.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 10:33:44 PM »
The Wal-mart lube centers will polish them good-as-new for like $40 if you don't want to do the work yourself. I had them do one of our cars, and the lenses look like new.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 11:52:06 PM »
I need to do this to my Toyota.

Rhetorical question since I know it is a style thing..  whatever happened to the sealed headlights like my GMC truck has?  This is never a problem, by the time the headlight starts getting scuffed after several years it is time to replace it for $30 anyway.

HankB

• friend
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 09:12:09 AM »
Typically franchise outfits like lube shop, mufflers, etc have a package that will clean and polish lenses for a fee.  I've never priced it but it has to be cheaper than new lenses.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 09:26:59 AM »
Wal Mart sells a couple of kits from a company called Crystal View that contain all the necessary to refurbish your lenses - fine-grit sandpaper, finer-grit sandpaper, polishing paste, a hardener/sealer to apply after polishing, and wipes to use with the latter two. One kit you do the work with elbow grease, the other you do it with a drill. I saw them while working for Wally World but by the time I had a need for such a kit guess which one was sold out? Still, doing it by hand only took about 20-30 minutes and the lenses look as good as new.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 01:18:34 PM »
Flitz + Elbow Grease = Clean lenses.

There's also a product out there made specifically to clean them. It's available at most auto stores, I just can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 07:16:27 PM »
Flitz + Elbow Grease = Clean lenses.

I have used Flitz on my guns for years and I had considered it for a project of this type, but I wasn't sure that Poly plastics would do well with Flitz.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 07:29:04 PM »
Polish with vaseline.  Rub it on, let it sit, rub it off.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”