Author Topic: Marines left on the beach during the Mayaguez Incident  (Read 1189 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Marines left on the beach during the Mayaguez Incident
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 11:32:04 PM »
"I love my country but I fear my government."

So much for "No man left behind."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 08:16:25 PM »
I was stationed at Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station with the 1st MARBDE during the Mayaguez incident.  It was common knowledge there that some of our people had been left behind.
Rumor had it that one of the guys in my recruit platoon participated in that event.  There is someone with the same first initial and last name that received the Navy Commendation medal.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 08:31:47 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 10:47:50 PM »
It seems odd to me that someone would say they disobeyed orders to get on the last chopper. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 02:06:21 PM »
It seems odd to me that someone would say they disobeyed orders to get on the last chopper.

In a situation like that, it may have been a case of conflicting orders.  Two or more sets of orders, and they chose the wrong one to obey.  And who's to say that if they hadn't stayed behind their gun, more Marines might have died.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 06:16:19 PM »
It's also possible that Captain James Davis threw them to the wolves and lied to cover his own ass.

Occum's razor ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 07:37:37 PM »
This makes my soul hurt.

There is enough blame to go up and down the chain of command, from the squad leader to the Task Force Commander.   Everyone is culpable for not getting an accurate head count and then not going back after them.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 07:51:26 PM »
This makes my soul hurt.

There is enough blame to go up and down the chain of command, from the squad leader to the Task Force Commander.   Everyone is culpable for not getting an accurate head count and then not going back after them.
From what they said, all the helicopters were shot up.  They didn't have anything to go back with if they wanted to.

Which means the operation didn't have enough support.  Probably should have had patrol boats available.  However, I don't know the circumstances at the time. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 08:05:59 PM »
Sad closing chapter for a complete goatrope of a war.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.