Author Topic: Just Say "No"  (Read 1549 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Just Say "No"
« on: January 28, 2017, 06:33:37 PM »
This is an interesting scam. The caller asks you a question you would generally answer "yes" to, and then purportedly uses that as an affirmation to an agreement to scam money from you.

Maybe the legal eagles can weigh in, because I have no idea how this would hold up in court or otherwise.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/01/27/can-hear-me-scam-has-police-urging-people-to-hang-up-immediately.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Just Say "No"
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 06:52:47 PM »
I don't get it.

Just having the recording of your voice saying the word "yes" isn't legally binding to anything. "Yes" without context is nothing. I know people who simply answer the phone with "Yes?"

Seriously, if someone told me that they could get whatever from me because they have a recording of me saying the word "Yes" I'd tell them to go *expletive deleted*ck themselves while laughing at them.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 08:01:46 PM »
A very clever yet simple scam.  Personally, I won't answer a call if I don't recognize the number.  If it is something important, they can leave a message, and then I'll decide when / if to call them back.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 08:36:46 PM »
I don't get it.

Just having the recording of your voice saying the word "yes" isn't legally binding to anything. "Yes" without context is nothing. I know people who simply answer the phone with "Yes?"

I'm guessing they splice the audio of you saying "yes" in to alternate audio (the audio equivalent of photoshopping) so they have audio like this:

- Scammer: "OK, would you confirm you'd like to buy Worthless Vacation Package X?"
- You: "Yes."
- Scammer: "Great! We'll send you a confirmation email."

Even though your real conversation didn't go like that, they have the above audio.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 08:40:03 PM »
I'm guessing they splice the audio of you saying "yes" in to alternate audio (the audio equivalent of photoshopping) so they have audio like this:

- Scammer: "OK, would you confirm you'd like to buy Worthless Vacation Package X?"

Even though your real conversation didn't go like that, they have the above audio.

That seems to be what the story implies. I just don't understand how that might at all be legally binding, or something they could use to threaten you in some fiscal way.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 10:19:33 PM »

Correct.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 10:26:09 PM »
What Ben said. 

The only way i can see this mattering is if they already have stolen credit card information and are trying to use this to prevent you from disputing the charge. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 10:26:49 PM »
That's exactly how it works.
I got hit some years ago when some scam company called my secretary about switching phone service providers and they spliced in her yes to a different question. I beat them but it was a hassle I could have done without.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 03:07:10 AM »
Did you kill Guido Scarpelli and dump his body in Brooklyn?

Were you unfaithful to your wife?

Do you own more than 5 guns?

Agreed, though, it could be a hassle to clear it up.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 11:18:28 AM »
"I'm sorry, I'm a Vietnam veteran and I have a disability due to hearing loss. What did you say?"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design