Author Topic: Tonight's Debate  (Read 6635 times)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Tonight's Debate
« on: December 10, 2011, 10:18:40 PM »
Newt is getting set up bigtime by the moderators. What idiot allowed Stephanopoulos and Diane Sawyer to run the show? Biden would be less biased.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Tonight's Debate
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 10:24:45 PM »
Since I'm not watching the debate...how are they treating Romney?
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:39:07 PM »
Romney's getting treated fairly well. A few digs at his healthcare issues. Bachmann's hit him a few times.

The moderators are out for Newt's scalp. Or his toupee, dunno which he's got. 

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 10:40:57 PM »
Romney's getting treated fairly well

Not surprising. The Dems want to run against Romney. The RINOs want Romney as their candidate. Way I see it, that's the way it is going to go down (and has long been decided as such).

They are neutralizing the preferable candidates, one by one...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 10:51:33 PM »
LOL. When asked to mention someone on stage that they admire, Perry and Romney mentioned Ron Paul.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 11:14:32 PM »
 :facepalm:  I am so happy I missed this dog & pony show.

And after saying that, I wish to apologize to all dogs & ponies for this most vulgar of comparisons ...... [barf] [barf]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 11:49:21 PM »
I notice that Bachmann is attempting to carry Cain's torch (and voters).  I wish she'd drop out.  Same with Santorum.

Seems Sawyer had it out for Bachmann... she'd cut her off at the end of a statement and start a new question without allowing applause, but would allow applause for the other candidates.

Paul got some roars of approval out of the audience.  Romney even mentioned the dedication of the Paul supporters in comparison to other campaigns.

Romney's gonna get kicked in the *expletive deleted*ss over that $10k bet attempt.  Libs don't like that.  Farmers don't like that.  That's flaunting wealth.  Rich guys do that kind of stuff on the 13th hole at a golf course.

The stage was finally set appropriately to candidate popularity.  Most popular in the center, least popular on the wings.

Santorum / Perry / Romney / Gingrich / Paul / Bachmann

I'm waiting for Iowans to speak up and say "Mitt Gingrich supports nationalized health care, and we don't like that" so that we can move on to Perry and Paul.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 05:00:25 AM »
I think the Dems would much prefer to run against Newt - he is a career lobbyist and congressman who nearly faced criminal charges for playing fast and loose with money.  He's spent so much time in Washington  that his scandal register is going to fill up within 6 months of the lead up to election time. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 08:20:20 AM »
Agreed....Newt and Ricky have way too much political baggage that the Dems will use to knock them out of the primaries.....and Mitt is the kind of Republican that the Dems can work with in a Bob-Dole-kind-of-way.....

Unless Cain decides to make a comeback soon, this primary will be worthless.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 11:04:26 AM »
I think the Dems would much prefer to run against Newt - he is a career lobbyist and congressman who nearly faced criminal charges for playing fast and loose with money.  He's spent so much time in Washington  that his scandal register is going to fill up within 6 months of the lead up to election time. 

Romney is the candidate that Obama stands a good chance of beating and even if Obama loses, the Dems have somebody that will bend over backwards for them but they can condemn and blame for everything, setting the stage for a Dem comeback in 2016 (cue the posts about how we probably won't make it that long as a unified nation)

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 06:32:11 PM »
A Romney Presidency would be as an able caretaker for liberal Republicanism.  And we know where that leads us.

Newt, warts galore, at least has the ability to lay out a position for a future resistance, and he is capable of inflecting hurt on Obama.  I'm not sure Newt's baggage will matter by the time of the election; the American public is becoming desensitized.

Why the Republicans are still allowing their enemies in the media to run the debates rather than stage their own is anyone's guess. 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 02:32:16 AM »
Newt, warts galore, at least has the ability to lay out a position for a future resistance, and he is capable of inflecting hurt on Obama.  I'm not sure Newt's baggage will matter by the time of the election; the American public is becoming desensitized.

Newt is just simply not the conservative he's made out to be. You kiss this prince, he's going to morph right back into a frog.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 02:55:40 AM »

Why the Republicans are still allowing their enemies in the media to run the debates rather than stage their own is anyone's guess. 

Because in the long run they are no different than the other side.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 08:58:54 AM »
Newt is just simply not the conservative he's made out to be. You kiss this prince, he's going to morph right back into a frog.

I don't think anyone is under any illusions that Newt is some conservative superstar.

I have hopes that his visions of Reagan force him to the right and actual reform. Hope is not a plan, though. I expect he'll be a good deal better than George H. W. Bush and slightly better than George W. Bush.

I at least expect that he wouldn't fall for the "compassionate conservative" crap again, like I would expect Perry to (or completely ditch the "conservative" portion of "compassionate conservative like I would expect Romney to.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 09:13:11 AM »
Because in the long run they are no different than the other side.

This.  Plus eleventy.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 09:17:02 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 01:54:18 PM »

I agree Newt isn't the second coming of the Conservative Messiah.  All of these candidates need to be watched for philosophical delinquency.

The problem is the people I prefer aren't running.

It's not only this Election that is going to be a turning point, it's the American political process itself.  I think many of us believe the whole thing's become a charade.  There is no salvation inside the System.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »
I agree Newt isn't the second coming of the Conservative Messiah.

It's not that he's imperfect. Imperfect is a word for people who don't quite measure up. Newt is completely different from a conservative.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 10:20:39 PM »
Would a REAL conservative even be running for the highest office in this age and nation? 

"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 04:46:48 AM »
Would a REAL conservative even be running for the highest office in this age and nation? 

Well yes, and plenty are.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 05:20:35 AM »
Well yes, and plenty are.

Other than Dr. Paul, who do you recommend?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 05:24:02 AM »
Other than Dr. Paul, who do you recommend?....

My worldview is well known to you. And while of course I am a non-citizen and my opinion is of little value, isn't Bachmann also seen as a conservative by most observers?

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 05:35:31 AM »
My worldview is well known to you. And while of course I am a non-citizen and my opinion is of little value, isn't Bachmann also seen as a conservative by most observers?

First: Your opinion is of great value to me. My "why didn't you vote for him" jibes are meant in jest. Sorry that I have offended you. Please accept my apology.

Second: I like Bachmann, and I'll probably vote for her if Cain and Paul aren't options. She's had some questionable postions....and I'm not sure how she stands on RKBA....but she seems better than Mitt Gingrich in most respects....

Third: Any others I should look at?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 05:52:21 AM »
First: Your opinion is of great value to me. My "why didn't you vote for him" jibes are meant in jest. Sorry that I have offended you. Please accept my apology.

I am not offended. I'm just stating the simple facts.

Second: I like Bachmann, and I'll probably vote for her if Cain and Paul aren't options. She's had some questionable postions....and I'm not sure how she stands on RKBA....but she seems better than Mitt Gingrich in most respects....

Third: Any others I should look at?

The point I strive to make is that there are still some conservative candidates that are flawed (like Bachmann), in fact no such thing as a flawless candidate has ever existed. But flawed is not the same as someone who believe in entirely different things.

Romney and Newt are not flawed conservatives in the same way I am not a flawed heart surgeon. I'm simply not a heart surgeon at all.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 07:34:44 AM »
Romney and Newt are not flawed conservatives in the same way I am not a flawed heart surgeon. I'm simply not a heart surgeon at all.

RFT.

Mitt has never actually DONE anything conservative while in gov't, he just TALKS conservative, nowadays.  Newt is so enamored by futurists and his big gov't schemes, you never know if he is going to do the political equivalents of killing liberty in its sleep or rubbing soup into his hair.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/285577/gingrich-pyscho-historian-mark-krikorian

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton