Author Topic: Tom Woods and Agorism  (Read 817 times)

Hutch

• friend
Tom Woods and Agorism
« on: September 30, 2012, 02:27:27 PM »
Agorism, from the Greek "agora" - marketplace

I found a link to an interview with him on YouTube, and I'm all in.  I wish I could capture my thoughts and feelings so well.  He's written some good books, including The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History .  The interview seemed fairly doctrinaire Libertarian, a bit like Stossel, but with better wordcraft and imagery.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Tom Woods and Agorism
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 02:36:48 PM »
Yeah, I'm a fan of his and the Austrians in general though I skew over to the free-banking side when it comes to currency rather than the idea of a pure gold coin 100% reserve standard they like.

Agorismis an awesome way, in theory, to break the chains. I notice that while Woods is very much a Rothbardian he steps away from Murry's view on agorism. I like that in a philosopher.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:59:07 AM »
There's some significant Agorist community buildup here in AZ.

The whole premise of it is true-free market association... trading as yourself (rather than a corporation or abstracted business entity) and abstaining from any form of coercive intermediary, especially government.  Agorism is largely word of mouth association, and most who practice it around here barter for silver or product-value-for-product-value, rather than dealing in greenbacks.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 11:48:29 AM »
Gives whole new twist to agoraphobia.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.