Author Topic: Tone-shaming  (Read 2104 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Tone-shaming
« on: December 28, 2015, 12:27:51 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Tone-shaming
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 08:28:03 AM »

*shrug*

Lots of folks prefer emotions over reason.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

griz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 10:49:58 AM »
Just curious, if somebody is angry, frustrated, or sad about something, does that validate their opinion about that particular topic, or does it make all their opinions correct?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:55:54 AM »
Why would being angry, frustrated, or sad validate ones opinionanything?

Lots of things piss me off, that doesn't mean I have a valid or useful opinion on them.  Often it means the exact opposite, that my emotions have precluded me from looking at facts and forming any kind of useful opinion.  I know it's a micro-projection but I doubt the authors of that cartoon are any more successful at providing useful opinions about their passions.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 02:57:50 PM »
Why would being angry, frustrated, or sad validate ones opinionanything?
Because they are emotional and you cannot ignore them!
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 03:05:19 PM »
Just curious, if somebody is angry, frustrated, or sad about something, does that validate their opinion about that particular topic, or does it make all their opinions correct?

In fact, does the fact someone is angry, frustrated, or sad about something even validate their opinion about that particular topic -- or does it simply confirm that the person is angry, frustrated, or sad about something without in any way validating the cause of their anger, frustration, or sadness?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 04:59:37 PM »
In fact, does the fact someone is angry, frustrated, or sad about something even validate their opinion about that particular topic -- or does it simply confirm that the person is angry, frustrated, or sad about something without in any way validating the cause of their anger, frustration, or sadness?

It doesn't validate or invalidate their opinion, it just means they care about the topic.  And when they get loud about it, it means I don't listen to them, even if was sympathetic to their cause before they started yelling at me.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 05:14:35 PM »
As was mentioned, everyone will get heated up over something they are passionate about. The difference I see between the SJWs and most of the rest of us is that, I, for instance, can get heated up over gun control and AGW. While I might initially emotionally blow off steam, I generally try to then step back and argue logically and hopefully with a bit more clear-headedness. SJWs start off emotional, and then go into emotional overdrive. I guess in an attempt to either bully people or wear them down.

Of course if you just walk away from someone like that, you lower your blood pressure and increase theirs. The worst thing we have done in recent years, especially on college campuses, is pat them on the head and pay attention to them. Which I guess means that I'm pro "marginalizing".

But really, how do we take these people seriously?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElJFYwRtrH4
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 06:16:38 PM »
As soon as "shaming" is used in conversation I immediately do not take them seriously.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 06:54:45 PM »
As soon as "shaming" is used in conversation I immediately do not take them seriously.

There you go.

Never tolerate shame-shaming. Judgmental lives matter.  =)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 07:27:25 PM »
'cause you know, reason and calm discourse is a white patriarchy privilege thing.

Have a melt down for the sisterhood.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 07:44:08 PM »

You forget, it only works if the one being shamed has a SJW approved marginalized background and is promoting a SJW approved message.

Don't be mistaken, if one of us were to become agitated or upset during a conversation, they will be quick to use Tone Policing on us and then it's "okay".
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 09:34:41 PM »
I thought this thread was going to be about the poor souls who play guitar on solid state amplifiers...
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 09:38:11 PM »
I thought this thread was going to be about the poor souls who play guitar on solid state amplifiers...

Will someone please think of all the oppressed vacuum tubes?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 10:12:02 PM »
'cause you know, reason and calm discourse is a white patriarchy privilege thing.

Have a melt down for the sisterhood.

Après Ferguson, the slogan is now "Being reasonable is for white people."  :facepalm:

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 12:38:11 AM »
Après Ferguson, the slogan is now "Being reasonable is for white people."  :facepalm:

Ooh, I like that! #EmbracingMyHonkyPrivilege

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.