Author Topic: Too Many White People Make Us Less Safe  (Read 1523 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Too Many White People Make Us Less Safe
« on: May 22, 2016, 07:09:01 PM »
So says Susan Rice. Specifically in the intelligence community, which is not diverse enough for good national security. Onion? You decide.

http://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2016/05/22/holy-cow-did-susan-rice-really-say-this-is-what-makes-america-less-safe/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: Too Many White People Make Us Less Safe
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 08:11:01 PM »
Well . . . maybe the NSA/CIA should take a lesson from NASA. The organization that put men on the moon repeatedly starting in 1969 is FAR more diverse today, and just LOOK at what it's doing with manned space flight now!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 08:54:21 PM »
This would be the same Susan Rice who assured us that Benghazi was a spontaneous riot about a video, right?

Consider the source ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 09:24:52 PM »
Not safe for work, easily offended anyone, black people without a sense of humor, old ladies, priests, children, liberals, sitting juries hearing a case of a person of color, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1vXZKr2cAQ
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 11:24:09 PM »
To a certain extent, she is somewhat correct.   Meaning field officers.   The intelligence services do need to have people that can blend in with the native population of whatever country they are working in. 

But a building full of folks analyzing the data, then duhversity matters far less then competence.  (which is true for just about every human endeavour).
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 07:02:39 AM »
To a certain extent, she is somewhat correct.   Meaning field officers.   The intelligence services do need to have people that can blend in with the native population of whatever country they are working in. 

But a building full of folks analyzing the data, then duhversity matters far less then competence.  (which is true for just about every human endeavour).

Truth. Both parts.  Can't send a Caucasian to blend in somewhere like Kenya, or  Thailand.  Trying to do so in the name of diversity would be dumb, and likely fatal.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
Regardless, I doubt Susan Rice was trying to make sense or anything. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 10:46:50 AM »
Truth. Both parts.  Can't send a Caucasian to blend in somewhere like Kenya, or  Thailand.  Trying to do so in the name of diversity would be dumb, and likely fatal.

I agree, however I think Rice, who I don't believe has a lot of operational expertise, was talking more about HQ buildings inside the beltway with her "pale and Yale" comments. Maybe some of the guys that know way more about it than me can weigh in, but I don't know that we don't already choose operatives, whether inserted by us or local assets, that don't blend in to their environments. That wouldn't be very bright.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 11:03:21 AM »

This is due to lack of diversity in those countries.

If they won't make it easier for us to gather intelligence there, we'll just have to assume the worst and exterminate them.

Tragic, but not our fault.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 11:11:53 AM »
This is due to lack of diversity in those countries.

If they won't make it easier for us to gather intelligence there, we'll just have to assume the worst and exterminate them.

Tragic, but not our fault.
Cause Diverse Lives Matter!
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 02:17:46 PM »
I agree, however I think Rice, who I don't believe has a lot of operational expertise, was talking more about HQ buildings inside the beltway with her "pale and Yale" comments. Maybe some of the guys that know way more about it than me can weigh in, but I don't know that we don't already choose operatives, whether inserted by us or local assets, that don't blend in to their environments. That wouldn't be very bright.

Sigh. Yes and no.

Official cover side:

First thing to understand is that overseas, CIA is essentially nearly a sub-division of the State Department. The overwhelming number of spooks are run out of the embassy. They buy or cultivate local sources to do dirty work so our hands remain clean and give us deniability. Or more realistically, they're trying to cover their rear ends because that's how government works. CYA trumps intel gathering, every day of the week. Technically, these people are undercover. Really? Bwahahaha, they may as well wear CIA blazers.

Second group. You have the non-cover CIA folks that are in said foreign countries officially on official acknowledged missions. Sometimes they do actually wear CIA insignia. Joint missions with foreign allied countries. Sometimes weirdly in countries were the government is hostile to us but the intelligence agencies are our allies. Syria used to be in this category. There's rarely a correlation between a country and their intelligence agencies. Israel (country) is an ally of the US, but their intel folks are our enemy. Ditto Pakistan, maybe India too. Argentina after WW2. Prior to their fall, Syria's intel organizations were allies of the US, but not their government. Sometimes because the government wants to be our ally but can't openly for PR reasons. Common in Islamic countries and Africa. Diversity is nice because most of the world isn't diverse, and you want the foreign nationals to like you and things to go smoothly. Technically you would think diversity wouldn't matter here, but it does.  In a lot of countries, relationship dynamics far exceed the importance of results. But it's a dual edged sword. Yeah, you'd want at least one ethnic Turk in a task force to work with Turkish intelligence, but if you toss a Kurd on the team, congrads, you just did the opposite of your mission before saying a word. Problem is also that sometimes people with ethnic matchup is that the person forgets which team they're supposed to be working on. This is known and vastly overblown. The Halloween HR massacre at the CIA was one of the worst blows to America, and arguably our greatest intelligence failure even surpassing 9/11. Thanks Admiral Turner, you colossal moron.

Unofficial or nonofficial cover side:
There's been a push since 9/11 for actual undercover agents or contractors (lots of field agents are technically contractors now). Lot of them are 'employees' of well known international corporations. A couple even raised my eyebrows as admittedly not being companies I would have expected to agree to be cover organizations for CIA operatives. They're technically NOCs, but use US companies and US laws for quasi official cover, if that makes sense. Snowden was in this category. Read Snowden's wikipedia entry for a lot of surprisingly accurate information. Diversity is nice here, but let's be honest, it's not a huge deal. Sales people or computer dorks for international companies don't need to fit diversity criteria.

James Bond style NOCs without even quasi official cover are rare. Very rare. You'd sleep better at night if you didn't know how few of them are in the wild. They require boatloads of forged documents, elaborate covers, expensive in other words. Too much work for government employees, so low numbers. But they're the only way to get human intel in countries were we do not have an embassy or commercial ties. Yes, this does actually require absolute diversity. Skin tone, language skills, technical skills. They need to be able to get a clearance. Unfortunately, as you can imagine, that's not how it shakes out. So we're perpetually short of qualified people. And the CIA often mistreats them because they're odd ducks in a large organization. Any large organization hates people that don't stamp out widgets or shuffle papers. So you have very high turnover in a job that requires almost as rare skillsets as astronauts. So often times, congrads, you don't HAVE Coptic Egyptian NOCs on hand. Or left handed Azerbaijani NOC. Or whatever. You have to make due with what you have. 

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.