Author Topic: Too many laws  (Read 831 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Too many laws
« on: July 07, 2020, 12:09:17 AM »
Somebody gets it: https://theweek.com/articles/894138/case-fewer-laws

Why are there so many laws? Because Americans are increasingly trying to fix the ills of our society through rulemaking. Unfortunately, rulemaking often just breaks society further. Again, in Iran, where law is what is virtuous in Islam, people are rejecting both law and Islam. Indeed, they drink and eat during Ramadan and have sex before marriage, but they also cross red lights, bribe authorities, and cheat in business if they can get away with it.

What Americans forget, as Iranians have forgotten, is that self-policing is a much better option than the police. Self-policing will not protect everybody from harm because there will always be breakers of laws. But policing, while necessary, cannot replace the need for a virtuous citizenry. There is a greater cost for a society overly regulated by the government than one which is regulated by virtue, shame, and communities.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Too many laws
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 06:33:27 AM »
As has been demonstrated in recent months, we also have laws that allow governors to make up whatever laws they want in the name of dealing with an emergency.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 07:04:42 AM »
Well, see, you elect these people as lawmakers, and guess what?  They go to their legislative houses and sunofagun if they don't go and make more laws.

So wadja expect?

This is called "progress."

I've long advocated that for every law passed. two must be repealed, and that every law ought to have an expiration date not to exceed 5 years from their passing.

Now that's what I call progress.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 07:39:45 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 03:31:42 PM »

. . . I've long advocated that for every law passed. two must be repealed, and that every law ought to have an expiration date not to exceed 5 years from their passing.

Now that's what I call progress.

Terry, 230RN
And I've long advocated that ONLY legislators through the legislative process can make laws - NO unelected bureaucrat should have the power to create "regulations" that have the force of law.

Also, any law enacted by the legislature that is so complex that it requires a judge or law degree to interpret and understand should apply ONLY to legislators, judges, and lawyers - nobody else.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 11:42:21 PM »
"Ignorance of the Law is no excuse" may may worked well in a time when the 10 commandments were the baseline, I mean, most are pretty clear it is not OK to rob and rape and murder, but memorizing 780,000 pages of regulations is a bit much.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 11:53:14 PM »
Funny how all those laws disappear when political friends are rioting and looting and burning people's stuff.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife