Author Topic: Where will you save money to pay for increased gas prices?  (Read 6477 times)

USP45usp

• friend
Where will you save money to pay for increased gas prices?
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2005, 09:48:33 AM »
Geez, gas here is $2.48 and that's the low grade.

Since my work may be moving 50 miles north of Eugene, I bought a car that gets better miliage then my 'Bird.  I'm keeping the 'Bird through, I can't get rid of that raw power when I need a fix Cheesy

Wayne

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2005, 05:37:29 PM »
Quote from: Art Eatman
I guess the nice thing about getting old and having done some planning ahead is that I have no debts.  I've already done all the toys I've ever wanted.  So, while gasoline for travel is a noticeable expense, it's not enough to worry about.

I buy my diesel in Mexico, for my backhoe, saving around 80¢ a gallon, and when it's feasible to buy gasoline over there, I save another two bits or so.  That helps for local, Terlingua doings.

I'm glad I don't have to do a daily commute.  But that's regardless of gas price, I guess. Smiley

Art
Art's hints might not work for all. I've been to his turf. Think Afghanistan minus the modern conveniences. Osama could be living nearby and go unnoticed.

I rode my Harley there but couldn't drive it to the motel room. The street was 4WD/dirt-bike only. I had to walk straight up for a half mile.

The backhoe is to clear boulders from his driveway so he can drive through the river and leave the house. Smiley

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2005, 06:02:01 PM »
Hey, rock is a renewable resource, in my country!  

But it's a dry heat.  Monday, July 11, at the Lonesome Dove movie set, it was only 115F.  I heard it hit 125F, upriver at Presidio.

It rained, last Wednesday.  High for the day was 80.  Thought I wuz gonna get frostbite.  First rain since January.  A couple of weeks back, I saw a coyote running down Terlingua Creek with two cottonwoods and a mesquite chasing him.

But sometimes we get floods.  I tend to stay home when the water's deeper than the headlights...

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2005, 07:02:16 PM »
I drive 50 miles one way to work too and ditched my full size Chevy van.  I drive a VW with TDI engine.  I'm getting 40+ mpg now.

Texas is a quite large state.  According to yahoo maps I live 704.9 miles from Terlingua.  (that's 1134 km for you metric folks)  Smiley

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2005, 09:44:01 PM »
Since I don't spend any money besides cheap food, cheaper rent, and cheap entertainment.  I have a lot of money left over from my paycheck.  Gas could be 10 a gallon... I'd sell my SV650 and get a DRZ-400SM, those get like 60 mpg.

atek3

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2005, 04:45:19 PM »
It's about $2.25 - $2.30 here in Florida.

So I'm not trading in my 2001 2.2 liter S-10 pickup for that Chrysler 300 Hemi next February, like I originally planned.

And my wife is keeping her 2.0 liter Hyundai Excel.

I have my doubts whether gas will ever go below $2.00/gallon again.  We Americans have been paying more than that for too long, and the oil companies know it.

As many fast-food places as I see around here, I may have to find an older VW Rabbit or Golf diesel, and start feeding it waste food-grade oil.  Neat concept.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2005, 05:40:40 PM »
We have basically cut out all discretionary driving.  No more "Hey, do you want to go for a drive?"
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2005, 07:52:54 PM »
We have basically cut out all discretionary driving.  No more "Hey, do you want to go for a drive?"
Yep. That used to be our cheap recreation. Go for a random drive and hike wherever we'd end up. No more. Now all hikes have to be planned and the gas specially rationed for it. No more spur of the moment day trips. Sucks.
Hi.