Author Topic: Did you know this about cats?  (Read 4069 times)

griz

• friend
Did you know this about cats?
« on: August 02, 2005, 03:48:58 AM »
Did you know that if you drop a sock across a cats back, it will walk away getting lower and lower until its belly drags the ground? If the sock is short enough and the cat is wide enough, the sock will still be there, and the cat will start spinning around on the carpet like they used to do on the three stooges. At that point the cat will give you a why are you laughing at me look of contempt.

Rambling disclaimer: No cats were harmed in the making of this thread. Sample size was one (1) cat and accuracy is plus or minus 100 percent. Your cat and your results may vary.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ukraine Train

• friend
    • http://ukrainetrain21.tripod.com
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 04:07:16 AM »
*goes to look for strays with sock in hand*

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 04:29:00 AM »
Put the sock opening over his/her head and run!!!  My cat's favorite game.

Greg

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 04:32:41 AM »
I prefer to let my kid do the cat tormenting.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 05:39:25 AM »
This trick will work once
and will earn you  lots of bad Kat-ma

1) Find a small crisp grocery paper sack

2) Sit in a chair with the bottom of the bag in your hand
with the opening facing down

3) Entice the kitty to come visit your realm

4) as the cat approaches, make small tapping, rustling sounds on the bags bottom.
A naive cat will sit right under the bag and look up inside the bag

5) when the animal is fully enthralled with the sounds,
plunge the bag right over its head and enshrowd the entire pussycat

Properly executed, only the cats tail will stick out
and the victim will be completely stymied, frozen like a paper wrapped cat-cicle

Sometimes the tail will flick about like a pendulum,
counting out the ways feline revenge will be deposited in your shoes

Eventually puss will make the most uncatlike crash and fall over sideways like a pole axed heifer
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brrlgrrl

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 05:49:22 AM »
Harold Tuttle, my felines adore paper bags!  
I will generally give them each a bag, but if there is only one they will fight over it.  They play to coax the other out, and then stake their claim only to be coaxed out and the process starts all over again!
My girls are a little spoiled, and have toys all over the house.  Our home is generally tidy save for the mice, paper sacks and feathers!  I consider it hunting practice for the younger one.  It generally looks like a slaughter of pink, purple and green birds and mice.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 07:03:22 AM »
my old cats used to love pouncing inside a full side grocery bag
for more fun i would poke a hole in the end and run a feather on a string through the bag

i could entice them to make a running leap into the bag and they would skate down the slate hallway
eventually they would get a claw in the little hole and start shredding the bag
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

griz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 07:14:56 AM »
My "sock cat" (the sock trick was an unplanned accident by the way) like bags, but not paper. She is facinated by plastic bags. I guess it's the noise. She drags them up to the bed so I can step on them in the morning. Last night she pulled in a bag that had a 1.5 X 5 scope in it. rolleyes She has to walk with her legs splayed so she doesn't step on the bag.

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 07:30:00 AM »
The string through the bag trick sounds great. I'll try that, but not try bagging a cat. I once tried to put another cat into one of those cardboard cat carriers. She sliced through a seam and launched out of there like an ICBM, shredding skin and cardboard on the way. I've bleed enough and I'm worried about Kat-ma. (Thanks for the term BTW Smiley )

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 07:35:59 AM »
My brother and I used to "torment" my moms cat by taking the outer plastic from a pack of cigarettes and slipping it over one of its back paws.. hold it on with a rubber band (lightly)  He would shake that back paw like crazy and never walk on it.. it was hilarious.
I don't torment my kitties anymore.  
But both of mine have a licking fetish, primarly antistatic bags.. but plastic grocery bags are another favorite.. it drives me crazy because they will just sit there and lick lick lick making crackling noises. :p
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 08:28:51 AM »
We have a runner-type rug on the (tile) kitchen floor. Our felines love to take a running start from the living room, pounce mid-rug, and slide across the kitchen.  Cat surfing!

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 02:03:51 PM »
Few things in life are half so exciting as crumpled, tossed cough drop wrappers.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 02:11:31 PM »
Tried it on each of my three cats.

1) Un-Nuetered Male about 2 years old. Hesitated almost started going down but then did his cat thing and reached around behind his back and took it off.

2) 3 year old neutered male - ignored it completely - went on about his business.

3) 15 year old neutered male - just stood there giving me the evil eye - really if he could talk I could have imagined him asking what the hell my main malfunction was. Stood there eyeballing me until I reached down and took the sock off his back at which point he strolled off like nothing untoward at all had occured.

I think your cat must have imbibed too much catnip and other cat mind altering substances Cheesy based on his totally strange reaction to a sock tossed onto his back.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 05:11:08 PM »
"I think your cat must have imbibed too much catnip and other cat mind altering substances big_smile based on his totally strange reaction to a sock tossed onto his back."
LOL!!

I am NOT making this up.
1982 and I'm a Sophomore at a small Southern Baptist college.  5 other guys and myself are sharing an apartment that had formerly been the upstairs office and family viewing room of a funeral home.  My fiance decides to give me this calico kitten for a birthday present, despite the fact that NOBODY in the apartment particularly likes cats, and one guy is very ALLERGIC to cat hair.  Oh, boy!!!  But life goes on, and we reluctantly welcomed our new roommate.

A few weeks go by, and me and one of the guys start talking about our 'formative years', and he mentioned someone he knew who actually took a cat, put it in a shoe box, poked a 1/4" hole in the side, and as a group of several folks did bong hits (smoked marijuana through a waterpipe), they would pass the box around right behind the bong and exhale into the hole in the box.  

We laughed, and after a long silence, I stopped smiling, looked over and said "I know where I can get some".
My buddy was TOTALLY jazzed, and led me down a sinful path, encouraging me to score, which I did in like, 15 minutes.
So Lance, Scoobie and I went for a little ride in my truck, down to the back side of the lake.  
A couple of guys who had grown out of the stupidity of dope smoking years before got the poor cat higher than a kite, and the cat sort of hid under a bed for about 3 days.  Not sure that cat was ever quite the same.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 05:37:00 PM »
One of my tom cats (Kahless) does this as well when I lay something across his back.  He looks quite amusing walking about with is belly scraping the floor.  Of course, he does that when I pet/touch him and he does not want to be touched.  The other tom cat (Uther Pendragon) has no issue with the sock on the back, but gets upset if he does not get beaten daily with sock or two.  The female cats Bastet and Morgana le Fay just glower at  me when I do put the socks on them.  Females....

Geezzz FF, cats DO NOT like Cannabis sp, or any sort of smoke for that matter.  I don't know if they even have receptors in the brain.  Hmmmm....My bad, looks like they do.  http://ajpheart.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/276/6/H2085
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2005, 07:02:48 PM »
Ummm...yeah...that's it!  We were doing...ummm...research...
for a, umm....TERM PAPER! Yeah...that's the ticket! LOL

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2005, 08:27:14 PM »
plunge the bag right over its head and enshrowd the entire pussycat
Actually, I like to then flip her over like I'm sacking at the grocery store.  Mom's cat loves it.  I can't quite figure out why.  She sits in the middle of the living room with her "unsuspecting" back to me when we come home from the grocery store just waiting for me to sack her.  I'll carry her around the house for a few minutes, and then deposit her on the bed.  She's an odd little creature.

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2005, 10:31:37 PM »
I remember when i was a kid i used to take empty soft-drink cups and place yummy cat-morsels at the bottom. A biff fluffy persian walking around with its head stuck in a white paper cup is pretty funny. My mother did not agree though.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2005, 09:19:56 AM »
My two goofballs have more personality than I do.

The big one is a lounge lizard. Pretty much any flat surface that holds or radiates heat is his friend. There is one dark-colored tile in the kitchen floor where the sun shines through the window. I guess that tile absorbs more heat because Boomer will spend hours on that tile, and that tile only. When he's not there, he insists on sitting at my feet while I am in my easy chair. If I don't constantly pat him with my foot he will turn around, grab my foot with both paws and give me a little love-bite as a "reminder" that he is there. It's kinda hard to miss him - he's a BIG boy. 21" body length, a foot high at the shoulder, and just over 20 lbs. His fangs measure just over a half inch so love bites from him take on a whole new meaning!

My little one, on the other hand, is Little Miss Prissy Pants. She is also my shadow. I don't go anywhere in the house that she's not right next to me. When I sit in my easy chair she curls up in my lap and doesn't move until I get up. She also insists on sleeping next to my pillow, and nowhere else. The funniest thing about here is watching her move through the house. Apparently, her little cat brain has resolved that the floor is made out of cat solvent. She will go from one end of the house to the other and never touch the floor! She gets her little routine down on how to get from one place to the other. Moving the furniture just absolutely blows her mind! One time I move the piano and it was too far from it to the couch for her to jump. She sat there for over an hour screaming at me until I went over and picked her up. Spoiled rotten little brat!

If you like cats you might want to take a look at the Bad Kitty Page. Lots of fun!
http://www.badpets.net/BadPets/BadKitty.html

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2005, 10:11:33 PM »
My favorite cat joke.

So everyone knows buttered toast falling on the ground will always land butter side down...  And everyone knows a cat always lands right side up...

Perpetual motion in one easy step... tape a piece of buttered bread to the back of a cat and drop the cat... the cat will begin to hover and spin just off the ground, due to the attraction-repulsion of the buttered bread-cat system.  Placing magnets on the cats feet and placing the buttered bread-cat-magnets device within coiled wire provides essentially limitless AC power.

atek3

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2005, 10:57:40 PM »
Quote from: atek3
My favorite cat joke.

So everyone knows buttered toast falling on the ground will always land butter side down...  And everyone knows a cat always lands right side up...

Perpetual motion in one easy step... tape a piece of buttered bread to the back of a cat and drop the cat... the cat will begin to hover and spin just off the ground, due to the attraction-repulsion of the buttered bread-cat system.  Placing magnets on the cats feet and placing the buttered bread-cat-magnets device within coiled wire provides essentially limitless AC power.

atek3
I know someone who actually tried this (no, sobriety played no part in it). The end result was a *kind* of perpetual motion. If you could figure out how to run a turbine off of a pissed off grease covered cat intent on doing as much property damage as possible we wouldnt need oil anymore.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2005, 04:39:51 PM »
Carrying the sock trick further...

Get a long enough tube sock and tie it around the cat's midsection.  I tried it and the furball promptly laid down and refused to move until the sock was removed.  Interesting!
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2005, 06:39:34 PM »
This is the principle on which UFO's get their power.  That weird humming noise from flying saucers?  Hundreds of purring cats.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2005, 07:23:22 PM »
Quote from: Gewehr98
Carrying the sock trick further...

Get a long enough tube sock and tie it around the cat's midsection.  I tried it and the furball promptly laid down and refused to move until the sock was removed.  Interesting!
You beat me to it.  I was going to post that.  But I use 2 or 3 (depends on the cat) paper towels.  Because then you know you can't hurt them.. too tight and it breaks so no danger to the cat.

thorn

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2005, 03:52:55 PM »
i dunno, just tried it- she did l;ower the back legs a little, but she basically wlaked away with it on her back, paid it no attention- HA! i had to chase her down to get my sock back befroe she took it to the neighbors yard!

>>Get a long enough tube sock and tie it around the cat's midsection.  I tried it and the furball promptly laid down and refused to move until the sock was removed.  Interesting!<<<

i will try that as soon as sdhe comes back, usually a few minutes is all she goes outside for