Author Topic: Southern Culture  (Read 2479 times)

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Southern Culture
« on: August 06, 2005, 08:43:27 AM »
Having moved from E. TN to Central AL may not SEEM like a big jump culturally, but there are some things that I have found surprising (although they may not surprise you).

Lunch is lunch.  It starts at 11:45, and everybody in town shuts everything down from then until about 10 after 1.
Many many people go home for lunch.  Every day.

Many businesses still close 1/2 day on Wednesday afternoon and open 1/2 day Saturday morning.  The Post Office even does this.

Everybody you meet asks you to attend church with them...

And here's where we take up the subject.

We've gotten involved at a church, and there is not a single minority face in the congregation.  
We went to a minor-league ball game with the youth pastor and his wife, and I asked "do you all ever do anything with the 'black churches' in the area?"
Rather uncomfortable silence...and "no, we really never have."

So this is one area--religion-- that is still HIGHLY segregated in the Deep South.
I find it...sad...disturbing...like I want to DO something to fix it...

Congregations of Western European descent
Congregations of African and Carribean descent
Worshipping the same small-town Jewish Messiah guy
...but TOTALLY separately, as if it was a different God that they pray to.

Does that give anyone else a case of cognitive dissonance?
Sorry if it comes across as blissninny tendencies, but I have a hard time being anything but color-blind when it comes to my understanding of God and his love for us--all of us-- as His creation.

Thoughts?

Art Eatman

• friend
Southern Culture
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 09:15:19 AM »
Could be that the black folks are comfortable with the way things are.  I don't know that as fact, of course, but it's a possibility.

Some things, I just keep my mouth shut and go with the flow.  Religion is one of them...

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Southern Culture
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 09:24:13 AM »
Oh, I think you're right, Art!  It just seems a shame in one way that there is that racial divide.  
If nobody else thinks it's broke, I know better than to try and fix it.  It'll be fixed in eternity.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Southern Culture
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 10:09:44 AM »
I grew up in a fairly small town; over the past 10 years or so I've noticed that more 'charismatic' small congregations have sprung up. In the said small town and others I am familiar with, these new congregations do tend to be more racially integrated.

In the larger urban center where I live now, the more 'non-denominational' and charismatic groups are certainly more integrated, and some of them have congregational meetings in the thousands every Sunday.

Me, I'm with Art.  

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

grampster

• friend
Southern Culture
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 10:32:36 AM »
I always wondered about stuff like this.  I still do, from time to time.  But, once upon a time, I began the ponder the comparison that Jesus made regarding his church and the human body.  My thought process had wrapped around the fact that there were so many different sects of Christianity and why, when they worship the same God, they did so in different ways, sometimes seeming to be at odds with one another.  It began to occur to me that the "body" allegory began to make sense to me.  What a totaly simple and maginificent way to describe His church, made up of humans, post Babel.
The body is made up of a myriad of parts, some seemingly having nothing to do with each other, yet in a fascinating way, all worked together for a common purpose; which is life.
If life is a time in which we as unique, loved, and created beings, are to be prepared for eternal life, what better way to have it done.  All of us, different yet in some way dependent upon each other.  Able, of course, to survive without all of our parts, but not as well as if we were whole.  We have a chance to learn how well we could work together, yet be able to exist, perhaps not so well, if separated.
I think there are lots of things to think about, ponder and be willing to accomodate if we were to think of our lives, our brotherhood, and our differences in the light of His comments about the body.
So in addition to sects we have  churches of black members and another of whites,
perhap of other descriptions as well.  Maybe we would ponder whether that might not be a good thing, a source of comfort and strength and reinforcement of belief. Or perhaps another good example of how the "body" might just not be a little better if we were whole.  But, then, that may be the promise of "now we see as throught a glass darkly...then we shall see things as they truly are".
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Southern Culture
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 10:43:29 AM »
...well said, gramps.  As usual, you state what I wish I had.

The black churches are going to be a lot better at evangelizing/mentoring black youth than I could ever do.
Ditto the white churches and suburban white-bread and mayonnaise skateboard punks.

Different parts of the same body.

And Rabbit, you uncovered some of my 'truth behind the scenes'.
In Knoxville, we attended a very integrated inter-denominational church.  There really aren't any of those down here in Mayberry.  So it's mainline protestant denominational churches I'm dealing with.  Less "progressive" inherently.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Southern Culture
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 11:08:46 AM »
I think sometimes, people can go too far in desegregation.  We are pretty much at a point where anyone can do anything.  I don't think we need to start forcing people to mingle.

Reminds me of that southern high school.  The whites had a prom, the blacks had a prom, and the hispanics had a prom.  They were all fine with that, but someone who really had no say came along and said you all need to have one mixed prom.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

mtnbkr

• friend
Southern Culture
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005, 12:33:19 PM »
My wife's family (and us when we're in town) goes to a very open Baptist Church in Roanoke, Va, hardly Deep South.  As open as they are, they make Methodists look conservative, there aren't many minorities.  It's not that they aren't welcome, they just don't attend.  

BTW, if any of you are in the region, the church is Rosalind Hills Baptist Church.  The Reverend Tom Stocks has a wonderful way of preaching that doesn't focus on sins and things you shouldn't do, but love and the things you should do for your fellow man.  

Their info:
http://www.rosalindhillsbaptistchurch.com/
ROSALIND HILLS BAPTIST CHURCH
2711 Laburnum Ave.
Roanoke 24015
540-344-7888

Chris

Southern Culture
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2005, 12:40:33 PM »
I agree with Art.

Born , raised and still in the South.

Some folks just feel comfortable with like folks. Be it color, blue collar, white collar, neighborhood or whatnot. When I was growing up, folks knew their neighbors, we had neighborhood schools we walked, rode bikes to. We shared a common bond.

Churches - well personally turned off by the organized religions around here. Now I was raised in a Independent Baptist Church. Old Preacher would have coffee with the Rabbi, The Catholic, the Methodist, you name it ...and different races too. They all figured folks had a right to worship as they felt led to.  They had coffee to discuss the congregations and events that might need addressing. From Polio, to Cuban Missles, to a Tornado coming thru.

Made no nevermind if a fella came in wearing  Plant kahkis, arrived in old truck. Not a fashion show, not a parade of whom had what. And if a fella went deer hunting - familes need feeding. Figured the most important deal was b/t a person and his perception of a diety. Not the building or the folks he went to/ along with.

I get older and make my own choices. Of course I am a 'heathen'...according to some....

One deacon went to Fed Prison with the Whitewater scandal. Had another Prominent family have the daddy go to Fed Prison whom also was buddy buddy with WJC. The Attorney doing the legal for bulding fund got caught with a young legal aid secretary, his wife ( Sunday School TEacher) got back by screwing his law partner.

I'm the heathen???

Nope, sorry aint' buying it.

In my drinking days I'd attend the Midnight Mass - Espiso's had better wine than the Catholics...still them Kneeling benches are rough on a fella raised Baptist.  *grin*.  

Baptists always preach to long - Methodist let folks out early.  That is why all the good stuff is gone at the buffetts.

My Jewish buddies laugh...they hit the brunch on Sunday mornings and have first choice on ALL the goodies.

I dunno, having coffee with a Bookie, a Retired Deputy Sheriff, Jewish Theolgian, A Catholic Father, A Nun, Long haired hippie looking fellow with a Harley [ Christain Biker]  and Black Methodist Preacher is well, one gets some good feeling, uplifting, and attitude adjustment. Then again it might have been one collected on a horse, the omelette was exceptional - or the damn jokes kept one in stitches.

Kept telling the waitress a "penguin' knew how to ride a Harley...yep - once around the parking lot will get a nun a  free breakfast.

*smirk*

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Southern Culture
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2005, 05:34:08 PM »
I obviously have no dog inthis fight Smiley.

I remember someone asking this question of a black divinity student at Vanderbilt in the mid-80s.  He responded that black folks and white folks have different worship styles and so worshipped separately.
But if you really want to see segregation, go to a barbershop sometime.  I asked my barber once if he cut black hair.  He told me no, they didnt even teach it in barber school.  They told him, you'll never do it so there is no need to teach you.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

kudu

• friend
Southern Culture
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 07:40:46 PM »
Grampster, very good commentary, you can put into words what many can't and make it understood.

I was raised a Baptist as well, never have seen a black in any of the Baptist churches that I attended, but I think we only had a few families in the whole county that I lived in that were black at the time.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Southern Culture
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 07:55:49 PM »
Most of the churches I've attended in Pennsylvania and the Washington, DC, area (Methodist) have also been very uniracial. There are many African American Methodists. They has have their own Methodist Churches, normally the African Methodist Episcopal, which was established in 1816, or not long after the Methodist church came into being in the United States.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Southern Culture
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2005, 08:45:50 AM »
'Round here it seems the more charismatic or hot to evangelize a church is, the more integrated it is.    This is heavily dependant on the local neighrhoods, though.  It is hard ot be integrated with folks who aren't there.  That being said, Dallas has a large and variegated population:  black, caucasian, hispanic, indian (sub-continent), middle eastern, far eastern.  This is the first place I ever went where a guy named Mohammed was teaching Bible study and Ali & his wife were deeply involved in the youth ministry.

I also think there is a serious cultural component.  I grew up Lutheran in the midwest.  Most of the settlers in those parts were of northern german & scandinavian decent...where the state church was Lutheranism.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Iain

• friend
Southern Culture
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2005, 09:07:48 AM »
It's like that here too.

I used to go to quite a lively Anglican church in my teens, my uncle was the vicar there. About two hundred yards away there was a black church. There were relations between the two, and I knew some of the kids from there. I think it was mostly about the way folks choose to worship and nothing else.

Some of the *very* lively churches I went to at different times were more mixed.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also