Author Topic: Wallpaper borders  (Read 1607 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Wallpaper borders
« on: August 09, 2005, 07:34:07 AM »
Any tips on putting up wallpaper borders?  We have a two tone wall now, and will be putting a border up at chair-rail heigth.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Wallpaper borders
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 07:53:01 AM »
I thought this was going to be a metaphor for our nation's borders...

Edited cause I'm dumb
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Wallpaper borders
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 07:56:05 AM »
LOL
The wife is putting my lazy ass to work....I wish I had time to write some political metaphors.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grampster

• friend
Wallpaper borders
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 10:40:24 AM »
measure twice, cut once.  No, wait...measure 4 times, cut once.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Wallpaper borders
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 12:01:03 PM »
just put up a chair rail!  I have seen too many pealing wallpaper borders, of course they could have been done in a craptacular fashion (sp)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

onions!

Wallpaper borders
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 12:25:07 PM »
Agreed w/grampster.I'd leave a little extra that can be trimmed later.Just in case.

Oh yeah,it's an excuse to go buy a fancy rotating laser lever too.Smiley

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Wallpaper borders
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 12:33:06 PM »
I concur with the chair rail over wall paper.  But if wall paper is a must, a friend who just put up wall paper border at his place prefers the kind you have to apply the adhesive too, over the pre-glued kind.  He says its less messy.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Wallpaper borders
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 03:21:27 PM »
Cheat,
I did, it works.

My first "experience" ... ah one never forgets...
This gal was the daughter of painters.  Great eye for interior.  

Kitchen:  She did the  painting , the wallpaper border - I did the chair rail.

"Paint was invented to make things easier to change - wallpaper causes insanity"  - Her quote...I remember it well, short shorts, cut off jeans, yellow tank top....

Same gal, I was "recruited" to assist with her older sister's house.   First she introcduced her sister to Paper Tiger and some great smelling stuff ( anyone wanna get high?)
"When you get that hideous wallpaper removed - call me, and not a min before...I told you that crap was gonna get old..."

IN the meantime  I  did the chair rail and entry hall rail, cut  stained and all...

Kitchen - She painted it ...had this trick where it appeared to be wallpaper, with vertical stripes of different textures of satin. I mean it 'looked ' like wallpaper, above the chair rail. From floor to chair rail a solid  Raspberry.  Oh this one, what appeared to be wallpaper border, again a different paint, solid with raspberry pin stripes at top and bottom of this border.

Third time with this gal...we supervised a couple..."you missed a spot ...measure twice cut once"

Fouth time....we sketched it out, supervised it being done, and this developer ...hehe...well we exchanged ideas and teaching him and his daughter some tips  ( her painting tricks) for  having ours done in our new house....and some other stuff.  

It may "look like wallpaper"  or "wallpaper border" - but it ain't.  You get tired of it...just paint over it.  

" It ain't cheatin' if it works - called ingenuity."